Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens snowblower doesn't blow

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JohnM

Ariens snowblower doesn't blow
Original Message   Jan 3, 2006 1:09 pm
I have an Ariens ST824. It will not blow snow. I bought a new belt. Bought a smaller belt. Tightened it as much as I could. The shear bolts are fine. The first auger works. The main augers (blades) will stop in snow.  Any ideas? Do I need to take apart the junction box on the main shaft? It also does not like to start when cold. Any sugestions for that. I keep it in the kitchen when I expect snow, otherwise I do not have a warm place for it.
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: Ariens snowblower doesn't blow
Reply #2   Jan 13, 2006 6:32 pm
Buy it some flowers and a box of chocolate

DNK1

Reply #3   Jan 13, 2006 10:14 pm
TheKneebiter wrote:
Buy it some flowers and a box of chocolate

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2006 5:19 pm
Marty or one of the other knowledgeable guys should see this soon and give you good HELPFUL advice for this.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Garandman

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm
JohnM wrote:
I have an Ariens ST824. It will not blow snow. I bought a new belt. Bought a smaller belt. Tightened it as much as I could. The shear bolts are fine. The first auger works. The main augers (blades) will stop in snow.  Any ideas? Do I need to take apart the junction box on the main shaft? It also does not like to start when cold. Any sugestions for that. I keep it in the kitchen when I expect snow, otherwise I do not have a warm place for it.

Take a look at the ends of the auger shaft  that stick through the blower housing with the auger drive engaged. If itt's turning, you've broken the shear pins. If it's not turning the auger gearbox is broken, which could be a somewhat simple repiar if you're lucky or a more expensive one if not. But in either case it would necessitate dissasembly. As it's not usual to break both shear pins at once you're probably not that lucky.

Many 824's are new enough that you can download the user manual for free from the Ariens website.

If you have fresh fuel you might try some carb cleaner to see if that helps. Carb rebuild kits aren't too expensive, but I bought a new carb for $53 because it takes minimal time to replace and runs well.
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42