A few of you may know that I'm a leader in 4-H for the small engines project in our club. Here's some of the questions I'm asking the 12-18 year old this year. There are 3 girls and 2 boys this year. Let's see how you guys/gals stack up.
1. T or F An engine is a machine that converts a form of energy into mechanical force.
2. Small engines are generally rated up to _______ HP. A) 20 B) 25 C) 30 D) neither A, B or C
3. Approximately ______% of the energy relaesed when fuel is oxidized in a typical small engine is converted into useful work.
4. T or F Heat is the resource that provides the capicity to do work.
5. T or F A substance can be in solid, liquid or gas state.
6. Three methods of heat transfer are ______. A) conduction, convection and locomotion B) conduction, radiation and locomotion C) conduction, convection and radiation D) neither A, B or C
7. Horsepower is a unit of power equal to _____. A) 746W B) 33,000 lb-ft/min C) neither A or B D) either A or B
8. T or F Both 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines complete 4 distinctive events during each cycle.
9. T or F Small engines are either air-cooled or liquid-cooled.
10. When heat is added to water, it changes to ________.
11. T or F Generators and snow throwers commonly use a verticla shaft, horizontal cylinder engine.
12. The first successful gasoline engine was developed by _______. A) Thomas Savery B) Eugene Lebon C) James Watt D) Neither A, B or C
13. T or F Kinetic energy is energy of motion.
14. T or F Small engines are either spark ignited or compression ignition based on how the fuel is ignited.
15. When heat it added to ice, it changes to ________>
16. T or F The size of lawn tractor engines commonly range from 11 to 18 HP.
Let's see how you do and I'll post the answers later this week.
If you don't have free speech, what do you have?