Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Internal Combustion Engines

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Internal Combustion Engines
Original Message   Mar 20, 2005 6:09 pm
A few of you may know that I'm a leader in 4-H for the small engines project in our club.  Here's some of the questions I'm asking the 12-18 year old this year.  There are 3 girls and 2 boys this year.  Let's see how you guys/gals stack up.

1.     T or F     An engine is a machine that converts a form of energy into mechanical force.

2.     Small engines are generally rated up to _______ HP.  A) 20     B) 25     C) 30     D) neither A, B or C

3.     Approximately ______% of the energy relaesed when fuel is oxidized in a typical small engine is converted into useful work.

4.     T or F     Heat is the resource that provides the capicity to do work.

5.     T or F     A substance can be in solid, liquid or gas state.

6.     Three methods of heat transfer are ______.     A) conduction, convection and locomotion     B) conduction, radiation and locomotion     C) conduction, convection and radiation     D) neither A, B or C

7.     Horsepower is a unit of power equal to _____.     A) 746W     B) 33,000 lb-ft/min     C) neither A or B     D) either A or B

8.     T or F     Both 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines complete 4 distinctive events during each cycle.

9.     T or F     Small engines are either air-cooled or liquid-cooled.

10.     When heat is added to water, it changes to ________.

11.     T or F     Generators and snow throwers commonly use a verticla shaft, horizontal cylinder engine.

12.     The first successful gasoline engine was developed by _______.     A) Thomas Savery     B) Eugene Lebon     C) James Watt     D) Neither A, B or C

13.     T or F     Kinetic energy is energy of motion.

14.     T or F     Small engines are either spark ignited or compression ignition based on how the fuel is ignited.

15.     When heat it added to ice, it changes to ________>

16.     T or F     The size of lawn tractor engines commonly range from 11 to 18 HP.

Let's see how you do and I'll post the answers later this week.

Sherri

Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Internal Combustion Engines
Reply #17   Mar 22, 2005 6:29 pm
 Miss SS,

Even a turbo jet engine is  a 4 cycle engine!!!

It does not even have a piston , intake or exhuast valves!!

Fred                  

This message was modified Mar 22, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #18   Mar 22, 2005 6:35 pm
congradulations 18Degrees...miss snowshoveler has officially put you in the corner with a pointy hat on your head .

you might know better than to try to reason with a woman,even if you are right. i would have thought you would have learned that from Paula,she dosent take any prisoners.

so while your here ...you a  er want a beer or what,we wont tell the MISS okay.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #19   Mar 22, 2005 6:42 pm
Mrs. Sherri---Not many could have described the two stroke and the four stroke cycle.   I think you deserve an A +  on that information.   That two stroke , especially, amazes me. My group at the Vo-tech  school would take one of the better named chain saws and lean it to run  14,000 rpm,s.   Quite a few of them will rev that high.  Then I would divide by 60 to see how many cycles per second.  It came to  233 cycles per second.  Unreal, and a good 2 stroke will just run for years if proper gas and oil mixture is used.  I guess one reason, it changes oil every two strokes.   Take care and may we hear more from you---Your friend--Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
18Degrees

Reply #20   Mar 27, 2005 9:04 pm
ha ha ha    It is always frustrating when english teahers write math or tech questions=they don't understand math or tech "enuff" to use the proper words!

my $.02 worth                                                                18  degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
nibbler

Reply #21   Mar 28, 2005 11:14 am
MissSnowshoveler wrote:

3.     Approximately ______% of the energy relaesed when fuel is oxidized in a typical small engine is converted into useful work.

4.     T or F     Heat is the resource that provides the capicity to do work.

5.     T or F     A substance can be in solid, liquid or gas state.

11.     T or F     Generators and snow throwers commonly use a verticla shaft, horizontal cylinder engine.

13.     T or F     Kinetic energy is energy of motion.

14.     T or F     Small engines are either spark ignited or compression ignition based on how the fuel is ignited.

Just to pick a few nits

Typos

3. released

4. capacity

Nits

5. There is at least one other state of matter, a plasma. Physicists keep inventing others as they play their math games.

11. Most small engine generators are horizontal shafts. Most generators are run by the utility company and I suspect they are mostly vertical shaft, I'm not sure. I'm thinking in terms of "kilograms (pounds) of generator". as "most"

13. Kinetic energy is the energy in an object that is associated with its motion. A battery in a moving car has potential energy stored inside it and kinetic energy due to its being in motion. The potential energy is moving but is not due to the motion. Another way to look as it is to think of a baseball that is dropped from the top of the empire state building. It starts at rest with a lot of potential energy and no kinetic, its way up high. As it falls the potential energy is turned into kinetic, it gets lower and lower but is travelling faster and faster.

14. Small internal combustion engines normally work that way. Small steam  engines and pneumatic tools both work from an external energy supply. I also have a vague recollection of something called a Stirling Engine that used an external heat source but worked by heating and cooling a gas ( not gasoline)..

Nice set of questions, they have generated some good discussion. How did the young adults do?
nibbler

Reply #22   Mar 28, 2005 11:17 am
18Degrees wrote:
notice that no one ever goes out for Canadian food.

I've seen a number of restaurants that specialize in "Canadian" food. Typically they also have Chineese as well.
MissSnowshoveler

Reply #23   Mar 28, 2005 4:35 pm
I’m not sure how many small engines out there run on plasma - but when you find one, please send one to me - I’d be glad to see what it looks like and hear how it runs. (There shouldn't be an 'a' in front of plasma)

Not quite sure where you live - but the generators that we are selling around here are horizontal shafts and they aren’t used by the utility companies either. The generators used by the utility company here are large steam turbines that use coal so I’m sure that they aren’t going to be bring them into our small engine repair shop for servicing. (There should either be no period or a capital 'A' at the end of your statement)
Kinetic Energy, energy possessed by an object, resulting from the motion of that object. The relationships between kinetic and potential energy and among the concepts of force, distance, acceleration, and energy can be illustrated by the lifting and dropping of an object. (Traveling has one ‘l’ - not 2, good to see you’re perfect all the time.)

You notice that the name of the thread is Internal Combustion Engines and it mostly pertains to small engines? It has nothing to do with steam engines and pneumatic tools. It’s just questions taken from a work book that I have read and answered the questions to. Yes they have brought in some good discussion and they are meant to make you stop, think and learn. (You have added an extra space between steam and engines, so really, I'm glad to see that you are perfect, no really, honest I am)

As for the 12 - 18 year olds, well they have done extremely well so far this year, they of course get all the questions, not just the few that I post here, so they have a better chance of understanding how all the questions relate to small engines. As I couldn’t draw the pictures that they get to see - I couldn’t exactly post those questions. But for their age they are wonderful and willing to do the research to find the answers they are looking for.  What else could you ask for the young people of today?

Sherri
PS - Chinese only has one 'e'.

18Degrees

Reply #24   Mar 28, 2005 8:03 pm
nibbler wrote:
11. Most small engine generators are horizontal shafts. Most generators are run by the utility company and I suspect they are mostly vertical shaft, I'm not sure.

In the two power plants i have worked in- vertical shaft for Hydroelectric (smaller gen-sets than steam)

-horizontal for the big steam turbines.

18 degrees=poor speller

This message was modified Mar 28, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
nibbler

Reply #25   Mar 29, 2005 9:02 am
MissSnowshoveller - I'm not sure but I may have offended you, if so I apologize. The intent was to continue the discussion. The spelliing corrections were because I thought you may have cut and pasted from your question sheet and would like to correct it.

While you are correct that most, maybe all, engines don't run on plasma, the question had to do with the states of matter so I thought mentioning plasma would be interesting.

I live in Ontario and was thinking mostly of the hydroelectric systems I've seen. They were vertical shaft. It seems from another post that steam and therefore probably nuclear plants, use horizontal shafts. I would guess that horizontal is preferred but vertical is best when dealing with something that is falling. That was also why I mentioned the "weight" criteria for the definition of "most". If you think in terms of numbers then small gen sets with horizontal shafts would be the norm. If you think in terms of total weight I don't know. The point was that some generators do have vertical shafts.

There was a comma just before the "a" in "as" which I think is correct grammatically.

I looked up "travelling" at dictionary.com and found that both spellings are listed. The same applies to "travelled" and "traveled". I was surprised since I though you needed the double "l" to stop the "e" from being long.

I'm glad to see they are willing to research a topic. The internet, libraries and local experts are all great resources for finding things out. The problem seems to be to get people fired up enough to actually use the wonderful resources that are available. This forum is a good example of people sharing their knowledge.
Ryder

Reply #26   Jan 10, 2006 5:32 pm
1.)T
2.)D
3.)20%??
4.)F
5.)T
6.)C
7.)A
8.)T
9.)F (air)
10.)Depending how much heat, 418.4J will boil one gram of water anything less it'll gain the energy
11.)T, or F...
12.)B seven years after, in 1801, Steeles engine was redisgned by philippe Lebon, who put the spark plug inside the cylinder (like who dont know that!!?)
13.)T (easy)
14.)T
15.)if enough, water
16.)T..ish..i think sounds right..

Carl Jˇ
Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42