Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Generators

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MikeP

Generators
Original Message   Jan 2, 2006 1:13 pm
Wilma whipped us pretty good in Ft Lauderdale, and now I'm trying to buy a good quite generator in the 6-8 kw running range.    The problem is that Home Depot and Lowes ship in units but you can't research them.

Am looking at a Pramac 6000S which has a 13 hp Honda engine, and is rated at 5700  running, 6000 surge watts.
Also looking at Briggs Power Boss 6200 with a 13 hp Vanguard rated at 6200 and 9000 watts model 30201....and a  Briggs EXL 8000 with a 15 horsepower Generac Extended Life Commercial engine rated at 8000 running and 13500 surge (model 30244) with metal fuel tank.

The problem is that you can't find any info on these models on line!!!!!  And when you call the mfg, they can't either.

CAN ANYBOBY OFFER ANY SUGGESTIONS.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
singercs

Re: Generators
Reply #5   Jan 4, 2006 7:42 pm
Mike, I sent you a private message and if you e-mail me I will send you plenty of info on installation and brands.
wally

Reply #6   Jan 4, 2006 11:08 pm
Mike.... I currently have three smaller generators - a Honda 500watt (really a camping generator) powered by a Honda engine, an older 1750 watt powered by a B/S (I've had it for 30 years, and while it's been mothballed for the last 10 years, still works great!!!) and a 3800watt Remington, again powered by a 9HP battery-start B/S.  At one time, I had planned to outfit my cabin up north with a 4K generator, since we had no hydro, etc.  The other generators were what I would call "strictly emergency" machines.  Nothing fancy, but they did the job.  For my permanent application I reviewed Honda and a group of other names.  I chose a 4K Onan gasoline-powered RV generator with time meter, silencing muffler and remote start.  Not having hydro, I didn't need the auto-cutover equipment or auto-start.  In our area, the two names most respected are Onan and Kohler - both of whom provide machines of varying sizes - but both of whom support what I would call "permanent installations".   Coleman and Honda are all well and good - but if you plan a permanent installation, consider these two.  I particularly liked the Onan since it ran at 2400RPM as opposed to the others which typically run at 3600RPM.  One of my neighbours has a 5K gas Onan 2400RPM....it's still going, when necessary, 25 years later.  Another neighbour has a big Honda - his 3rd in the last 14 years.  The Hondas look good - but if they are used with any degree of regularity, they don't seem to to hold up.   As it turned out, before I got my Onan installed (I even had it to the site - ferried 5km downriver by boat and carried up the 50ft cliff), our area got serviced by hydro under a "underserviced properties" grant - my Onan became surplus, and its new owner has it permanently installed, to his great satisfaction, in the Lake-of-the-Woods area on the Ontario-Manitoba border.  It has been running as the sole source of power to his cabin for 9 years, and it's still going strong.

My advice....(and I used my cabin property 27 years before I got hydro in 1994, with 20 of those years using the 1750watt unit) - go for a continuous-duty rated machine, preferrably slow speed, make certain you have the necessary manuals - and have a source of parts, should they be needed.  But consider the more commercial names for an installation as opposed to the more domestically popular brands .... you may spend a few more dollars, but you will never be sorry (in an emergency) that you purchased REAL QUALITY!!!!

Good luck!!!       *(:>)* 

Emmo

Reply #7   Jan 5, 2006 12:22 pm
Honda, Mitsu, and Yamaha are all fine units.

If you want to run the whole house and $$ isn't a problem then a built in stand-by unit would be best. Kohler, Generac, Winco et.al make these.

My dad and I both have Generac EXL portable units . They are noisier than the Japanese made generators but they do just fine in an emergency and cost less.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #8   Jan 5, 2006 3:45 pm
I beg to dirrer with you wally.

1st, Mike seems interested in a Portable unit for emergency use. Although the way Florida is going, a standby model might be handy.

2. As far as Hondas not lasting long, I know of many in service for ten years with regular maintainance on job sites.  Most Honda's will outlast most other lower cost brands. You also cant compare a 3600 rpm generator to a Constant duty, low speed unit with a 4 pole head made to run year round.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
wally

Reply #9   Jan 5, 2006 9:29 pm
Exactly my point, Mountainman..... light duty and portability probably stop around 4kw.  From there on, portability becomes an issue of perception!!!!  You can mothball a 6kw or 8kw continuous duty machine just as easy as an occasional duty machine at the same power capability.... but the reality is that if you need it for those types of disaster circumstances, we're not talking about running it an hour or two at a time.  We're talking about blasting it for days at a time.  I don't see the intermittent duty lightweights being good for more than a couple of goes like that.  Sorry...but from what I have seen, the domestic market, back-of-the-truck construction Colemans and Hondas just don't cut it!!!  I KNOW that if I were in the same circumstance, that 4kw Onan that I once had, if outfitted with a wheel-kit, would be as portable as I would ever need in those circumstances.   And I'd know that I had a machine that was prepared and built for 24/7.  And as the expression goes...if I'm in for a penny, I'm in for a pound!!!  I'd put my money on the commercial constant duty every time.

*(:>)*  

UncleTom

Reply #10   Jan 8, 2006 8:07 am
What is a UPS that you use to clean up the power from generators so you can use computers? I have heard of a power line conditioner  but not a UPS. How do they work and how much do they cost?
wally

Reply #11   Jan 8, 2006 11:14 am
Your question relating to computers and UPS...... you might try     http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/doc/ups-faq.html    as a source of information.  Also Google "Uninterruptible Power Supplies" for other info... and add "cost" to the search and you will see that reputable single-machine UPS's range from $100-500 while network UPS coverage may be in the $1500 neighbourhood.  Beware of REALLY low cost UPS offerings....they may be SPS (Standby Power Supplies) masquerading as UPS's.   A UPS also acts as a conditioner, since the computer is ,in reality, running from an charged source in isolation from the line or charging source.  Remember, a computer doesn't run on 110AC - its POWER SUPPLY runs on 110AC...which, in turn, generates the +/-5DC or +/-12DC needed for the computer to run.  A good alternate source of power for a notebook is, of course, your CAR ADAPTER to its 12V system.....one that really works well in a pinch.

jhart

Reply #12   Jan 8, 2006 8:38 pm
I use a Yamaha YG2800I 2800 Watt Industrial Generator which comes with an invertor and puts out a pure sine wave... it is quiet and easy on gas...  we don't have many power outages here, but it will run the fridge and freezer in the summer and the furnace in the wiinter.  Also powers just about any 120v tool including a table saw, scroll saw, any drills, etc.  My garage has only one 20 amp circuit and the generator gives us another.

I also use it to power lights on remote for my video production company.  Since it puts out a pure sine wave, I can use it with delicate lighting instruments like Kino Flo Divas, which have sensitive ballasts, and Mole Richardson fresnels.  I also run a PC communications setup on remote with it... and lithium Ion chrargers.  I love it. 
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Reply #13   Jan 8, 2006 9:54 pm
Some things to think about when buying a generator. I talked to a old farmer recently, who had a large generator on back of his truck.  Last year, parts of PA were without power for 3 weeks because of a huge  ice storm.

He did mention using very high quality generators for applications where power spikes could cause damage to
electronic equipment. He also said large generators suck down an incredible amounts of gasoline and to make sure local gas stations have power to gas is available.  Also he said to make sure where the natural gas pump is located as it is also susceptible to power outages.

Propane is good for very short outages IMHO.

My PA house is all electric with access to natural gas, so I have a lot to consider.
wally

Reply #14   Jan 9, 2006 10:44 am
jhart.... I checked out your YG2800I on the Yamaha site...certainly an impressive package at that power...great power/weight ratio...and the inverter aspect for clean power is obviously a plus (something none of my powerplants had).  While I was there, I found the EF3000iSEB ...new this year, I gather.... and I rather like that one....particularly since it has the electric start, low noise levels, and DC as well as AC.  The power boost could have advantages as well.  Since a more modern stand-by AC source was on my agenda for this spring, I'll be certain to check these out. 

Replies: 5 - 14 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42