Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow blower tecumseh engine doesn't run for more than 5 seconds

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
timadler

Snow blower tecumseh engine doesn't run for more than 5 seconds
Original Message   Dec 6, 2005 8:39 pm
Hi,

I picked up a MTD snow blower that has a 5HP Tecumseh engine (HSSK50).   I bought the snow blower second hand about 3 months ago.  It seemed to run ok then.

About 2 weeks I gave it a test run and noticed that the engine didn't run for more than a couple of seconds.  It would fire up, then run for a few seconds and then slowly die.  It sounded like it was starved for fuel and only running off the fuel from the priming.

After doing some research online I figured that the carb was gummed with the old fuel that it had been in there for months.  I replaced the carb with a new 640084A one, changed the oil and drained the old fuel.  Tonight I just tried it again and I have exactly the same problem.

Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks,

Tim.

Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MuskyHunter

Re: Snow blower tecumseh engine doesn't run for more than 5 seconds
Reply #13   Jan 3, 2006 11:31 am
I bought a 724 Ariens a few weeks ago.  Last week I received a call from the dealer about the Tecumseh engine.  He wanted me to read the build date and other numbers off a decal on the engine.  Apparently they had a recall recently.
erice

Reply #14   Jan 5, 2006 5:36 am
could it be a blocked vent in the gas cap.  try again with cap loose or off.    fitting clear fuel line helps checking fuel related problems too.  eric e. still looking for 1988 craftsman  5/28 snowthrower, sears, part number  
timadler

Reply #15   Jan 10, 2006 12:57 pm
Thanks - I have tried it with the cap off.

I gave up and took it to a repair main.  He told me that I have a compression problem that is not easily fixed (he wasn't able to give me the exact cause of the problem, other than the valves look fine).  He recommended that I replace the engine for $330.    Any suggestions where I can track down a reconditioned engine?

Thanks, Tim.

70chevrolet

Reply #16   Jan 11, 2006 2:00 pm
New engine is the way to go. You will never know the history of a used engine. It could've been soft seized at any time and still run ok.

try     www.smallenginewarehouse.com

Replies: 13 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42