Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens or craftsman

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dasaras

Ariens or craftsman
Original Message   Dec 11, 2005 10:47 pm
We live in Cleveland and get dumped with snow rarely, but when it happens it is 6-8 inches. I got a MTD single stage 5.5 HP 21" that rarely is able to throw the snow off our driveway. Major considerations before this buy was : garage space is limited, driveway is small, 2 car wide, 4 car long. small sidewalk. Need only for our home. I plan to return to HD because it is not having any punch to the snow throwing from the center of the driveway, all it does is dumps it on the side of the driveway and I have to re do the sides again. Everyone is out of ariens here and was thinking of buying a 5.5 HP Ariens, 2 stage 21". Read the forum and got concerned bec I have paid 400 for MTD and Ariens is 680 for the 5520. Not in stock anyway, expected next week. Alternative is my neighbour bought a craftsman 5.5 HP 2 stage from Sears for 450. With sears warranty, can get it fixed locally. Dont know if Ariens dealer will fix if I buy from HD. Any thoughts, maybe other models: Toro? Cost, repairs and garage space are major considerations. Thanks in advance for any input
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RnB213

Re: Ariens or craftsman
Reply #7   Dec 24, 2005 10:39 pm
Consumer Reports Magazine

Toro/Lawnboy, Simplicity, Snapper, Husqvarna,Jonsered, Briggs, Tecumseh,Kohler,Honda
Garandman

Reply #8   Dec 25, 2005 8:02 am
RNB213 is quoting the results of the single stage review done last season and updated 9/5. It appears from the original poster though that the single stage machines don't really do the job for him. By all means lets hear the rationale. The two machines he mentions are also 5hp 20" single-stage machines like Dasaras already has. In fact, the MTD manufactured Tro Built Squall 521 was rated 4th in that same test.

In the two-stage ratings, the Honda HS928 was rated 7th; Simplicity 9560E rated 8th; and Ariens 8524LE rated 10th of 12.  They were all large machines with 8.5 to 10hp, which again does not address his needs.

If the Ariens Compact is not available , Simplicity makes an "intermediate" machine.

But the 160lb Compact series really seems to be a good fit for your requirements of power, light weight, and size. I'd stick with the limitations of your old machine until you got exactly what you want. Thre are now two models of the 5520E Compact listed, one with Tecumseh engine that is sold out, and model #932043 with the Briggs engine that is not.
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Reply #9   Dec 25, 2005 12:50 pm
It's hard to believe that your single stage works that bad. You should try checking to make sure that the belt is ok. My first snowblower (on loan from my brother in law at the time), was a 3.5HP Snapper. It would stall, in the EOD (if you went too fast), but other than that, it went through snow like a wolverine with PMS. It would throw the snow at least 20-25 FT. That was an awesome machine. I used it even after I got my Honda, for the lighter snow storms. My brother in law has it back now, and is still using it.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42