Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

"Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Original Message   Dec 13, 2005 5:53 pm
Hi all,
     Went upstate this past weekend to Cortland County (near Syracuse) to visit my mother. While I was there I swung by an old Ariens dealer to see if he had any of those snow cabs for my Ariens 8526LE. When i walked in I was greated with lots of nice machines....Simplicitys all over and a bunch of Toros. But no Ariens...so I just wondered around and was really digging Toro's new quick aim snow shoot! Pretty cool! But lots of plastic.... The Simplicitys look rugged and well built. Then the salesman/owner came out to ask if he could help. He didn't have any of the cabs but they were due in a week or so....then I asked him "where are the Ariens machines?" His reply.... "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Is there any truth to this? He went on to say that warranty work was killing him...his shop was full of repairs...and mainly all with the same problems. He said that the tranys were a major problem....plastic bushings causing problems and some other things that I can't remember. He said that after the last 2 years, he gave up.

Clarks garden power supply
They carry Simplicity, Ferris, Echo, and Toro...and no longer Ariens:(

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jcco

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #14   Dec 20, 2005 5:02 pm
Oh, I forgot my HD comment.

I used to be a HD stockholder. Sold it because the service in stores is horrific & I generally need to believe in the product to own the stock.

I don't go to HD with much expectation. You have to know exactly what you want or trust the "name brand" attached to product.

I have no local dealer any where close for Ariens. I had to trust the brand & go with it.

No one want's the 1128le to be  good more than me. So far, Ariens customer service is that of only lips. They are real nice, but nice isn't removing my snow.

In the shop Nov. 16. Now Dec. 20 still not fixed because Ariens is committed to providing service center with prompt parts.

It's the worm gear [stripped] in the auger gear case.

JC

jcco

Re: "Ariens really cheapend their product to get it into Home Depo" Any truth to this?
Reply #15   Dec 20, 2005 5:08 pm
Whoops,

Last thread should have read Ariens NOT committed.

& how can you edit a post?

JC

toolpig

Reply #16   Dec 21, 2005 5:27 am
I bought my Ariens 11528 a month ago and it works great. One morning I went out to start it started hard and wouldn't run right.  I called my OPE dealer and a service guy was at my door in 1 hour . It turns out it was my fault , water got in my gas jug !

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
jubol

Reply #17   Dec 21, 2005 6:17 am
Toolpig,

You can buy a filter / water seperator, called Mr Funnel.

West Marine also sells them under there own label.

www.:// mrfunnel.com

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
toolpig

Reply #18   Dec 21, 2005 7:34 am
I'll check that out Fred,  thanks!

Ariens 11528 snowthrower, Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor, Craftsman 5hp lawn mower, Craftsman 4.25hp pressure washer, Stihl BG55 leaf blower and vac, Stihl SH26 string trimmer, Husqvarna 365 special Chainsaw, Husqvarna 254XP chainsaw.
Mads

Rather be scared to death than bored to death

Reply #19   Dec 23, 2005 8:24 am
It's no secret. You ALMOST always get better service whit small dedicated business than the big surfaces stores when it comes to maintenance and repair.

In fact in Canada except for the Ariens (regular models, not the Pro models) at HD, the "good" more expensives brands are always find in the smaller stores while you can find the more "unexpensive" more affordable ones at the big surfaces stores.

2muchtime

Reply #20   Dec 24, 2005 10:00 am
I have an old ariens 24" 5hp that I was tired of working on. I was all set to buy an Ariens 11hp, went to the Home Depot the day after a storm, and they were sold out.  My daughter and I looked around the store and finally, out in the garden department we saw 12 of the 11hp models.  Evry single one of them (two still in the original boxes) were marked defective for return.

After seeing this I decided, thanks to a great post on this site, to buy a new engine for my old war horse.  I ordered the 7.5hp Intek from smallenginewarehouse.com for $222 (free shipping). They sent me an 8hp for some reason but after drilling 4 new holes in the deck to mount the engine, putting some gas in and pulling the cord it started right up. Now all I need to do is move the chute control linkage and I have a really great snow blower :)

From what I've read, if your worried about quality, the Hondas seem to be very well built and well liked, although they are pricey.

Majorxlr8n

Reply #21   Dec 24, 2005 10:29 am
jcco wrote:

It's the worm gear [stripped] in the auger gear case.

Just curious - did you pull something into the augers by accident? If not, I wonder if a keyway fell out. It seems like a stripped worm gear is an oddity for a brand new machine. Have you actually seen this stripped worm gear? Paul from Ariens (Snowman?) does monitor this site from time to time - I wonder if he might be worth a PM...

Marty

Majorxlr8n

Reply #22   Dec 24, 2005 10:32 am
Paul's Forum name is SnowmanN - thats two "N"s. I goofed above...

Marty

cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #23   Dec 24, 2005 1:22 pm
2muchtime wrote:
I have an old ariens 24" 5hp that I was tired of working on. I was all set to buy an Ariens 11hp, went to the Home Depot the day after a storm, and they were sold out.  My daughter and I looked around the store and finally, out in the garden department we saw 12 of the 11hp models.  Evry single one of them (two still in the original boxes) were marked defective for return.

After seeing this I decided, thanks to a great post on this site, to buy a new engine for my old war horse.  I ordered the 7.5hp Intek from smallenginewarehouse.com for $222 (free shipping). They sent me an 8hp for some reason but after drilling 4 new holes in the deck to mount the engine, putting some gas in and pulling the cord it started right up. Now all I need to do is move the chute control linkage and I have a really great snow blower :)

From what I've read, if your worried about quality, the Hondas seem to be very well built and well liked, although they are pricey.

I think you may have missed something... The problem is not with ARIENS but with the place that they are purchased from. You see, at Home Depot, they sell the machines built for a mere $15 more, so most if not ALL people have Home Depot set their machines up. Now the customer takes it home and something goes wrong from the assembly. Home Depot has such a great return policy...so they just take it back and give the customer a new one. These "bad" machines are now sent back to the vender....and it is those machines that you saw at the back of the store.

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 37Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42