Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is my old John Deere 826 worth rebuilding?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
totustuus

Is my old John Deere 826 worth rebuilding?
Original Message   Dec 20, 2005 2:02 pm
I've been reading the various discussions for a few days trying to see how many of you have totally stripped and rebuilt an old snow blower.

I have an old JD 826 that I bought back in 1987.  It gets lots of use up here in the northern suburbs of Syracuse NY! (about 200" of snow per winter)

This machine has a Tecumseh 8 HP that still runs well.  I change the oil once or twice per season.

I just put new belts and a drive disk on it but was noticing that the bushings on the wheel shafts seem sloppy.  The auger housing has some rust and probably needs bushings as well.  Additionally, I have two busted welds where the discharge chute is welded to the horizontal plate that rotates the assembly.  I put a couple of angle brackets on to hold the discharge chute on until I can get this rewelded.  It wobbles a bit but the snow shoots out just fine.

Overall, it has aged gracefully but it's looking a bit tired.  This machine was built in Moline Illinois before Ariens started building them for JD.

Parts are apparently still available, but are a bit pricey. 

I'm a pretty good mechanic but I'm wondering whether the economics at this point are justified or whether I should bite the bullet and get a new machine next winter.

What do you wrench heads think?  Does the old girl deserve another 20 years or should she be put out to pasture?

thanks in advance!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
jubol

Re: Is my old John Deere 826 worth rebuilding?
Reply #1   Dec 20, 2005 2:07 pm
Fix the Old girl!!!!

Might cost you 3 to $400.00, but you would have a better machine than you can buy.

It would make a nice summer project, total rebuild and paint as new!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
jcco

Reply #2   Dec 20, 2005 5:23 pm
PLEASE fix & keep 8/26.

That is exactly the model I sold for $100 & am KICKING myself for thinking I would reduce my worries by buying a new ARIEN's 1128le.

That old JD would grind up & spit out the A 1128le if it would fit in the rusty auger housing.

The Briggs engine is simple & solid, the whole machine is proof that they don't make em' like they used to.

I fully rebuilt mine a couple times & was just thinking like you. I wish I could take it back. Mine was a 1981.

If you do sell it, get ahold of me. If I can figure out how to get it to Colorado, I would buy it.

JC

Garandman

Reply #3   Dec 20, 2005 6:22 pm
Here's the wheel bushings from my 1970 Ariens. The new ones were in stock at the local  dealer for $3 each. 

They're pretty standard so I can't imagine the JD ones would be that much more. It's an easy repair, usually. Sounds like with a trip to the welding shop you're good to go as long as the engine is running well.

Garandman

Reply #4   Dec 20, 2005 6:38 pm
Here's the auger bushings on the same machine. they were so worn after 33 years of use that  they had worn through and abraded the carrier.

New style steel carriers (they fit both new and old Ariens machines) were available from the dealer  for around $10. The bushings were around $4.

the new ones are installed here.

All that said - sell it and buy a new one if you've got the coin. Used prices are high this time of year, but new prices are flat. You get a lot of snow there.
lovely13675

Reply #5   Jan 19, 2007 1:58 pm
I have a JD 826...Hard starting for me . Just bought a smaller model.. got a much smaller village home/drive. I'm selling the 826....I live just north of Watertown, ny....would be great for you..lot's of parts. still runs...tire chains... just tough to start! interested? $225.00...please email.....Linda
lovely13675

Reply #6   Jan 19, 2007 2:00 pm
my email address is lovely13675@peoplepc.com...
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42