Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow Blower Track Vs. Wheeled

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jay1026

Snow Blower Track Vs. Wheeled
Original Message   Dec 9, 2005 2:17 pm

I know..I know...I already searched the board for this title but what I found didn't really answer the question.  But before I get to that, let me give a little back ground.  I just moved into a house in North Jersey with a pretty big driveway (more on that in a bit).  Living here all my life, its not that crazy but we do have some bad ones and from what I'm hearing, this one is going to be bad.  The previous owners contracted a guy who came for the first time a couple of days ago and did a really crappy job.  They just plow with a pickup so there is still less than an inch left on the driveway and where the tires rolled a nice coat of ice forms.  The bigger issue is that they plowed right into the backyard, meaning they tore up the grass where it meets the end of the driveway.  They charge 75 bucks and I guess its not bad but I really hate shotty workmanship.  I'm now sitting here waiting for them to come again to plow the 8 or so inches that is blowing around outside (its now 1:52 and still no show, luckily I work from home).  Ok to the details, the driveway is 800 ft. long (yes, 800 feet) and has a couple of curves.  There is an incline in it in the middle but I don't know what it is, maybe 15 degrees.  For the most part its about a car width except for the entry and the circle by the house.  It’s the house in the yellow box.

That being said, I’m contemplating on buying some machine to plow it myself for the reasons listed above.  After doing a bit of research I’m stuck with a couple of questions.  I see that a couple of manufactures have both Wheeled and Tracked machines.  I would think that the tracked model would be better in that it has a more traction.  I could see however how that might be a little harder to move while not running.  Before I forget, I two oversized car garages and a basement which is pretty big.  It’s a half flight to the basement and there are stairs from the garage to the basement inside so I could put some boards down and move it down there for the season.  I’m not to concerned about the agility of the machine because for my use (I would think) I’m basically running up and down the driveway and speed if more important.  I also see that the prices go up a bit as the width increases.  I’m inclined to spend a little extra as it may remove a whole pass for me.  So I’m looking for a machine that will not get stuck, will allow me to plow the entire driveway in a reasonable amount of time and most importantly, I want something that is solid and reliable.  I don’t want something that is going to break every season.  I’m a firm believer of “you get what you pay for” so I’m ok with spending a little bit more for a good machine.  I’m assuming that I would have to opt for the two-stage.

Thoughts….

Recommendations….

Complains (that I write too much)…

:)

-Jay

Replies: 2 - 11 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jay1026

Re: Snow Blower Track Vs. Wheeled
Reply #2   Dec 9, 2005 7:29 pm
oakville wrote:
the honda tracked machines will go up and down stairs.

the ariens with the locking differential (pro/DLE units) do a great job on curves.

i can't see you getting stuck on a hill with a wheeled unit vs a tracked unit.

the ariens 13 hp units range up to a 36" width.

Thanks for the info oakville

So the tracks seem like a good idea, are there any negitives other than mentioned?  What are the positives on the wheeled machines?  Is one company better than another on service, but more importantly which one is rock solid?

-Jay

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #3   Dec 9, 2005 7:47 pm
Have you ever used a walk-behind snowblower?  Are you physically capable of handling a large machine, say a 10/28 up to a 13/36 with ease?  Are there any budget or time constraints for this 800 ft driveway? This application is beyond what I would want to do with a walk-behind....but hey, that's me. Your mileage may vary. If I had that driveway, I'd want a 4WD John Deere garden tractor with a 42 inch blower. Good thing I don't 'cause my budget isn't big enough for that.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

BBgarage

Reply #4   Dec 9, 2005 9:32 pm
Good point, Does your tractor have a PTO?
PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Reply #5   Dec 9, 2005 11:54 pm
For a driveway that long, I would seriously look at the larger 13HP Simplicity. IMO Simplicity make the best machine available. I have a Honda 11hp, and a Simplicity 10hp The Honda is a great machine, and the performance is amazing, and better suited for where I use it (work), but I believe that the Simplicity is a more bullet proof machine.

The main reason, though, why I suggest the Simplicity (or any other wheeled version) rather then the Honda (track), is because the size of your driveway. For one, your driveway looks flat, so traction won't be a problem. The wheeled machines seem to be easier to keep in a straight line, when blowing snow. With a driveway that long, you don't want to be wrestling the machine up and down that driveway. I'll explain what I mean... With the Honda track drives, there's a pedal on the back of the machine, that you step on, to lock the machine's bucket (and scraper) in the downward position, pressing all the weight (well not all of it really) onto skid shoes. When you're using the machine, it seems to have a mind of it's own, and basically pulls you along for the ride. It's very difficult to keep it straight. I've tried adjusting the skid shoes every witch way, and it's always a wrestling match. The  more uneven the surface, the harder it is. Also, this really seems to wear out the skid shoes, as well. With the wheeled machines, they are balanced differently, without that much weight placed on the skid shoes, making the machines a lot easier to handle. Also Simplicity make a 38" machine. I've never used a 38" snowblower, but my Honda is a 32", and I have to believe that the 38" wheeled, would still be easier to handle then the Honda. On a lot of the property I clear with the Honda, I really don't care if I get it clear all the way down to the pavement, so I just leave the machine in the neutral (upper position) so all the weight is only on the tracks. I just lower it, for doing the sidewalks.
Garandman

Reply #6   Dec 10, 2005 8:05 am
As AZinOH is suggesting, a garden tractor with a snow blower attachment seems like a more productive setup for your property. First, the large snowblowers are relatively expensive, so you'd have an investment of $2,000 or more for a tool that can only be used for one thing. Second, walking 3,000 feet behind a snow blower is not my idea of fun. Third, with a tractor you have the choice of using a plow blade for light snow or the snow thrower attachment for heavier snowfalls. Finally, you'd be able to use it with a mower, trailer, and other accessories in other seasons.

Cub Cadet, John Deere, Kubota, Simplicity , and Toro all have owners who wear gang colors. And others manage to do well with Craftsman and the other inexpensive MTD products.  At work most of the guys worship at the alter of Kubota.

JD, Kubota and Simplicity all make 4WD models but that's not essential. A fellow at work clear a long driveway in NH, and a commercial property parking lot with an 18hp tractor. He does have the wheel weight kit, and tire chains.

Some of these machines are big, ruggedly built, with hydrostatic transmissions and  have 15-25hp   motors, often twins, and Kubota even makes a small diesel.  Budget is another story: the bigger, more deluxe garden tractors can cost $4,000 to $8,00 plus accessories, while the smaller ones start at less than $2,000.

You might find a good used one on someplace like eBay or craigslist.  The machine pictured is currently for sale on eBay for less than $500 with a few hours to go. I post it only as an example, not a recommendation nor do I have any stake in that auction. It's a 14hp Simplicity with hydrostatic transmission., mower deck, tire chains and plow. I'd be inclined to buy one from a dealer who has gone through it. Good luck to you, "Situated, and saturated, in New Jersee," as the Princeton fight song is often paraphrased.

www.simplicitymfg.com
www.kubota.com
www.johndeere.com
www.toro.com
www.cubcadet.com
Garandman

Reply #7   Dec 10, 2005 8:31 am
Here's another eBay example, again I have no stake other than to show what the stuff looks like.

PCPC

Honda 1132 snow thrower, Simplicity 1060 snow thrower, RedMax EBZ8000 leaf blower, older Snapper self propelled mower, Echo weed wacker, 20 + year old 16" McCulloch Chain Saw, wheel barrel with a flat tire, and a rusty shovel!

Reply #8   Dec 10, 2005 11:04 am
If you have  a lot of lawn to cut, then a garden tractor, with a snow blower attachment would be a good idea. Though  a lot more money, you would be killing two birds with one stone. A tractor, with a plow, though, I don't think would be a good idea. When we get those once or twice a year heavy snow falls, that we get here in NJ, it won't work well.

Another idea, is look around for an old jeep, with a plow, that you can keep on the property, just for plowing. I have a buddy who has a 1300" driveway, and that's what he does. Even if it's not a driver, as long as it runs well enough to plow your driveway, when you need it to....
jay1026

Reply #9   Dec 10, 2005 1:45 pm
Thank you all for the very helpfull comments.

AZinOH, I have used a walk behind a couple times (a long time ago).  I'm 29 and in decent shape so I'm not so concerned about the "workout".  As someone else on the board has said, "It'll get me out and doing something".  Since I spend most (if not all) of my time in front a keyboard, anything would help.  No real budget or time contraints.  Like I said I'm willing to spend for a good product.  By time I'm thinking you mean how long its going to take.  I would like to make it quick as possible hence a large machine so I don't have to walk back and fourth too many times.  I have toyed with the tractor idea but I really don't have much of a yard and my push mover works fine for that so I haven't acted on that, yet.

BBGarage, I don't have a tractor but I guess riding on something is better than pushing behind it.

PCPC, thanks for the detail between the track and the wheeled, that is exactly what I was looking for!  If I go the walk behind, I'll definitly look into Simplicity.  I have also considered the jeep idea.  I do have the space (since I can leave it outside) so that maybe something to consider.  You mentioned that the plow on a tractor wouldn't be so good for the big snows (which I know) but does that still apply with a jeep with a plow?  Would the tractor (with a snow thower) be a better in deep snow than the jeep?

Garandman, as I stated I have toyed with this idea but since I don't have that much lawn, its held me back.  The only other possible issue is space.  I don't have a shed or anything but I guess I could build one.  Maybe I could move a couple of things to squeeze it into the garage.  I can clearly see the benifit of riding on something and making like 2 or 3 passes vs. walking and making alot more passes.  My only concern with the used route is not knowing what you get.  I haven't really worked on engines (tearing down carbs and stuff like that) so I'm concerned about things breaking.  I don't have a pick up or anything haul it back and fourth to the dealer for service so that concerns me too.

Again, thanks for all the great comments, its been a big help!

-Jay

PCPC

Reply #10   Dec 10, 2005 2:01 pm
A tractor with a plow is just too lite,  and the plows are too small, unless you just keep at it, while it's snowing, but one day, you're going to wake up to a large snow fall, and the tractor/plow just won't be able to handle it. A jeep shouldn't have a problem, as it's just heavier, and larger. What I like about a blower, though, is that it does a much cleaner job. A plow piles the snow up all along your driveway, where as a blower cuts a nice path, and will throw the snow to the side (far out to the side, if you get a good one), spreading it out, nice and flat, in the distance.
wally

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2005 7:56 pm
Unless you REALLY need a tractor, going that route is fraught with (eventual) problems.  That, probably, is a path not recommended.  The suggestion that you DON"T need a tracked vehicle is probably correct.  You don't have the terrain that would dictate that.  Don't get swayed by the "bigger is better" philosophy - you have already said that a few extra steps doesn't concern you.   Get a machine with good horsepower - I have a 10.5 Tecumseh and would think that anything larger might be overkill.  Blower width (28' - 30") would be MORE than adequate.  Remember, many responding to your post want to service your problem with an expedience you might feel surpasses your needs.  Four passes on gear 3-4 is not that bad.  And you have a machine that is cost-responsible but one which will do the job.  And remember - you are not MARRIED to the machine.   If, after a year or two you find it does not feel right for your needs - SELL IT - there will always be buyers out there ready to pick up a good deal in the pre-owned market.  And you can move forward to another size/model/brand etc.

*(:>)*

Replies: 2 - 11 of 22Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42