Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST824 worth a rebuild?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
loubeck

Ariens ST824 worth a rebuild?
Original Message   Dec 7, 2005 8:29 am
I recently picked up the bones of an Ariens ST824 snowblower.  It's been sitting in a co-worker's shed for the past 4 years. 

It's currently missing the engine, wheels, and the chute.  Supposedly, my co-worker's brother has all the missing parts except for the engine.

Assuming that I can get the missing parts back, do you think this thing is worth getting rebuilt? The way I figure it is, if I spend a few hundred bucks to get this thing running again,, I'll end up with a much better machine than what I could afford if I bought a new one.

Also, if this thing is worth getting rebuilt, any idea what something like this would cost?

Thanks,

Lou

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Garandman

Re: Ariens ST824 worth a rebuild?
Reply #1   Dec 7, 2005 10:19 am
loubeck wrote:
Assuming that I can get the missing parts back, do you think this thing is worth getting rebuilt? The way I figure it is, if I spend a few hundred bucks to get this thing running again,, I'll end up with a much better machine than what I could afford if I bought a new one.

Also, if this thing is worth getting rebuilt, any idea what something like this would cost?

Thanks,

Lou

You mean, like this?

I bought this 10 yo ST824 on eBay for $212. It had a replacement engine a few years back: he blew the old one just as the truck from the dealer drove by after a storm, which was pretty funny.

It was usable as it was. But I replaced the scraper; skids; tires; friction disk; new bottom cover; both belts; carb; and repainted it. I spent about $200 so I have roughtly $425 into it. That's a lot less than a new one, if you value my labor at zero (like my wife does). They're pretty easy to work on and the dealer has all the parts. I've debated putting a newer, bigger OHV engine on it and selling the old one, but there's really no need to.

You can buy brand new Tecumseh 8.5 hp snow engines on eBay for less than $300 delivered. Changing the engine is really easy. But if you are missing indiviudual parts, like the pulley for the engine, they can be expensive ala cart. A new chute assembly is around $100. The alternative is to find another one that' needs help  and combine them to make one good one. Prices for used models are lowest in the Spring, which is how I got mine for so little - it would sell for $350 or more this time of year, before the upgrades.
loubeck

Reply #2   Dec 7, 2005 10:52 am
Garandman wrote:
You mean, like this?

I bought this 10 yo ST824 on eBay for $212. It had a replacement engine a few years back: he blew the old one just as the truck from the dealer drove by after a storm, which was pretty funny.

It was usable as it was. But I replaced the scraper; skids; tires; friction disk; new bottom cover; both belts; carb; and repainted it. I spent about $200 so I have roughtly $425 into it. That's a lot less than a new one, if you value my labor at zero (like my wife does). They're pretty easy to work on and the dealer has all the parts. I've debated putting a newer, bigger OHV engine on it and selling the old one, but there's really no need to.

You can buy brand new Tecumseh 8.5 hp snow engines on eBay for less than $300 delivered. Changing the engine is really easy. But if you are missing indiviudual parts, like the pulley for the engine, they can be expensive ala cart. A new chute assembly is around $100. The alternative is to find another one that' needs help  and combine them to make one good one. Prices for used models are lowest in the Spring, which is how I got mine for so little - it would sell for $350 or more this time of year, before the upgrades.

That's exactly what I mean!

I'm not sure what exactly else is missing (this will be my first machine) but the impeller is definitely there as are the pulleys. The encouraging thing is that this machine was stored and not scrapped.  Whoever stripped it, did so with the intention of reviving it one day (which I now hope to do).

Other than a little bit of rust, and the obviously missing parts, it looks to be in pretty good shape.

I'm going to wait a couple of days to see if I can scrounge up the missing parts from my co-worker and then just call my local dealer to get the ball rolling.  I want to get it running as soon as possible so that I can get some use out of it this winter.

Thanks for the info!

Lou

Garandman

Reply #3   Dec 7, 2005 11:42 am
BTW, the reason I got into working on them in the first place is that I took my old one to Mastranzi Bros in Beverly. It needed a new belt, but carb work etc.

They charged me a total of $165, including a new gas cap. It did start right up.

Next storm, I go out to blow snow, and the augers won't turn - they never replaced the belt.

In the meantime, Jason Mastranzi is selling new snow blower engines on eBay.

Needless to say I never went back. I bought parts online or from other dealers.
loubeck

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2005 11:51 am
Thanks for the warning.

I was actually planning to call these guys: http://www.donspowerequipmentandhardware.com/

My father-in-law goes there and has very good things to say about them.

jubol

Reply #5   Dec 7, 2005 12:01 pm
Loubeck,

Here are some places to check on engine prices.

1. Small Engine Warehouse

2. Small Engine Suppliers

3.Tulsa Engine ware house

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Garandman

Reply #6   Dec 7, 2005 12:37 pm
Here's the Before:

Here's After:

I bought the replacement B&S on my other machine from Small Engine Warehouse. But there are often better prices for the engine you need on eBay. Just be sure and get the correct shaft size (1") and decide whether you need an electric starter or not. The dimensional drawings are there to make usre everything bolts up.

I bought other parts from rcpw.com, mfgsupply.com, and eBay. For example I got the tires for $25 delivered on eBay, they were left over take-offs.
loubeck

Reply #7   Dec 7, 2005 3:08 pm
Thanks for all the resources!

I'm not sure I'm up to the task of rebuilding this sucker on my own, but I'm sure those places will come in handy at some point...

Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

al05

Reply #8   Dec 8, 2005 5:33 am
Hi I have an Ariens 824. Its a great unit. I need the lower right hand handle if you wana sell it?? Thanks...Al
loubeck

Reply #9   Dec 9, 2005 8:32 am
al05 wrote:
Hi I have an Ariens 824. Its a great unit. I need the lower right hand handle if you wana sell it?? Thanks...Al

Thanks but I think I'm going to hold onto it for now.

I still have to wait and see what parts I can get back from my buddy.

ynkstr

Reply #10   Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm
I have a Ariens AT824 and it feels like it locked up on me at the end of snowblowing a couple days ago.

The elec. start just makes a terrible sound when pushed, and the pull cord can't be budged.

Anyone know what the trouble could be, and if so, what I can do to fix it.

Thanks, Bob

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42