Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which Snowblower shoud we get?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BBgarage

Which Snowblower shoud we get?
Original Message   Dec 6, 2005 12:39 am
Hi, First let me introduce myself, I am Mike, I am 16, I made this account with a friend for us both to use. I live in New England and found this forum through google because I felt it was neccessary to ask some snowblower experts and people who have various blowers what I should purchase.

Basically my mother decided she wants a snow blower so my dad doesnt have a heart attack in the case that I am not home to shovel(he has a valve problem). At first she wanted to go with the Arien 7.5, but I did some research and figured with the thick snow the plows pile up at the edge of our driveway, the 9.25 HP deluxe model would be better. When researching I also came accross an 11.5 HP blower from craftsman with power steering, and a 10.5 HP blower from Yard Tools that had "power steering." First let me mention I have a small, 30 by 20 driveway, and a 50 foot sidewalk. I also want to add that to make money this winter I will be doing neigboring houses so I want something relativly reliable and durable, though none of this is extreme use. I compiled some general info and was hoping for some input on what I should get.

The Ariens 7524E Compact: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/compact_sno_thros/7524_e/
Price: $749 at HD
Pros: Compact, Cheap and Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: No console, small intake, So so power
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? How annoying does the lack of console shute controls get(the ones at HD don't even have the hand crank)?

The Ariens 926LE Deluxe: http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/deluxe_sno_thros/926_le/
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: Durable(seemingly), Large 4 Bladed impeller, Console mounted controls, Kraft Macaroni Colored
Cons: Lack of differential or any type of assisted steering system
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows?

Yard Machines 5MLG729: http://www.yardmachines.com/servlet/BrandProductDetail?ID=1597&CAT=14&SUB=74
Price: $999 at HD
Pros: 10.5 Ponies, "power steering," Seemingly same features as Ariens 926LE, fairly priced, coolest color scheme
Cons: Polymer shute, suspicious brand, the cheaper one at my local HD had looked pretty flimsy, didn't seem to "heavy"
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? Is this brand really any good? How reliable is it? How long until the "polymer shute" cracks?

Craftsman 11.5HP Snow Thrower: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07188115000&tab=des&bidsite=CRAFT#tab
Price: $1,049 at Local Sears
Pros: 11.5 HP, "power steering," Craftsman name, Looks like it might be tough
Cons: 12 inch 3 blade impeller(outdone by 926LE), I see some plastic, Not Ariens
What I would like to know: Is this really practical if I am going to do neigbors driveways and walks too? Will this clear heavy New-England snow, especially stacked by plows? This has more power, but does it function as well as the Ariens system with the larger 4 bladed impeller?

I am interested in peoples(especially owners and expersts) responses to my question. Are there any other recomended brands for this 1k price that can be purchased locally? Currently I am leaning towards the Ariens as most of my friends have them and one found a 25 year old one at a yard sale and it runs great. Any other info I should be aware of feel free to add.

Thanks,

Mike of BBgarage
Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
solara

Re: Which Snowblower shoud we get?
Reply #13   Dec 9, 2005 11:01 pm
1) u may be a ble to get a 10% off copon from the Hd wed site is u say your moving(per snowman). they also sell these on ebay, but hd would not take the one i bought.

2)oil: 26 oz. it comes filed and ariens recomends that u chnage it after (i forget 2  or 5 hrs).

3) DRAining. unbelievably simple.

4) set up u will hav no problem.

good luck

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
nibbler

Reply #14   Dec 9, 2005 11:37 pm
According to the Arieans website the 926LE comes with either the 9.25HP Tecumseh Snow King engine or the 9.5HP Briggs and Strattton Power Built OHV. According to the B&S web site  B&S Power Built is NOT the same as the B&S Intek Snow. Both are part of their commercial power line but they are listed as separate from each other. Also the B&S site doesn't list a 9.5HP size only 8, 10 or 11 for the Power  Built and 6.5, 9 and 11HP for the Intek Snow. You  can see all the options here:

http://www.commercialpower.com/display/router.asp?DocID=76230
BBgarage

Reply #15   Dec 10, 2005 12:26 am
Then who should I believe, HD, or B&S? I am gonna check HDs site for coupons(good idea). I also asked HD if they had the Ariens 9.25 and they said they were gettin in an order of 9.5s.

What exactly is required for the "assembly" setup? I was kinda hoping it would be complex, as I find that stuff interesting.
BBgarage

Reply #16   Dec 10, 2005 3:09 pm
We picked it up and gassed it up. It runs wonderfully. I had to try adjusting the skids a few times but I finnally got it. At one point the auger stopped working and I got a little worried. But then I relized the genuses from home depot didnt tighten the cable enough and it had vibrated the thing the cable attatches to loose, easy fix. On really packed snow it took a few passes to dig down(the stuff people have walked on the past day or so), but it got through, and it did all the fluffy stuff with ease. I am very happy and am looking forward to more snow and more money. :)
BBgarage

Reply #17   Dec 10, 2005 3:10 pm
I should also mention it came pre-assembled(hence the loose thing), and it is the 926LE
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #18   Dec 10, 2005 3:27 pm
BBgarage wrote:
We picked it up and gassed it up. It runs wonderfully. I had to try adjusting the skids a few times but I finnally got it. At one point the auger stopped working and I got a little worried. But then I relized the genuses from home depot didnt tighten the cable enough and it had vibrated the thing the cable attatches to loose, easy fix. On really packed snow it took a few passes to dig down(the stuff people have walked on the past day or so), but it got through, and it did all the fluffy stuff with ease. I am very happy and am looking forward to more snow and more money. :)

If you are offering a snow removal service and accepting payment for it...you may be in "business", which means providing receipts, recording payments received, claiming income for tax purposes and most importantly...accepting financial responsibility in case someone sues you if they get injured. I hope you have special insurance to cover this.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

BBgarage

Reply #19   Dec 10, 2005 5:07 pm
If my neigbors sue my I have a lawyer(dad). You work for the IRS?
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #20   Dec 10, 2005 5:42 pm
BBgarage wrote:
If my neigbors sue my I have a lawyer(dad). You work for the IRS?

No...I certainly don't work for the IRS. I'm pleased to hear that you've already retained legal counsel. If you haven't already sought his advice, I hope you do so. Every year at this time there is a plethora of wide-eyed idealists who think..."I'm going to make a ton of money plowing-clearing snow". They are almost as numerous as the snowflakes. In fact...that's a good name for them. Fortunately it doesn't take long for them to find out that it's real work and requires dedication, real effort and real customer service skills. Which usually results in their quickly losing interest and sticking it to daddy for any costs involved. I hope I'm wrong and that you really do succeed.

Today on the plow forum I read a story about a guy who spent $2700 on an insurance policy to cover his plow work. Then he went right out and got a plowing contract  for four businesses, obviously winning the contract by underbidding the other guy. ONLY THEN did he discover to his horror that his insurance was good only for residential work, and that a commercial policy will cost him FIVE TIMES as much. He can kiss his profits goodbye as he is now obligated to do the work for the quoted price...he may even be LOSING MONEY. You can do as you please, I just hope you know what you're getting into.

Here's the link to the story:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=30374

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

BBgarage

Reply #21   Dec 10, 2005 9:43 pm
As I am in highschool I currently only have after school jobs on my street(4 or 5). which should pay 100-200 a storm depending on the size. I am not planning on starting a major business this year, maybe some stuff around the neigborhood in walking distance, but no "official" jobs. If I get a pickup with a plow I may just list myself on craigslist as an un-official person who will plow a driveway for 10 bucks. So the people wont expect much but its cheap, and local.

Thats next year though. For now its in my local few blocks.

Thanks for the advice,

Mike
loudsubz

Reply #22   Dec 10, 2005 9:54 pm
Whatever happend to "doing it out of the goodness of your heart"?

I remember doing my neighbours driveway with a shovel just to be nice, not to make money, and even when they tried to give me some I would never take it because I felt bad. Besides didn't your parents buy this snowblower? not yourself? So your raising money for your family, or keeping the earnings on the side for yourself     

Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42