Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
muzak396

Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque
Original Message   Nov 26, 2005 7:38 am
I have a long steep driveway, about 60 feet, one car, with a flat bay about 50 X 50 at the base. I have nvere owned a snow blower, but I am getting alittle older and the back isnt waht it used to be. I have looked at the Ariens  11526DLE Snow Blower, which I think is an 11.5 HP. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on this with a steep hill. If not does anyone have any recomendations on one that will run up a steep hill
Replies: 5 - 14 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
muzak396

Re: Looking for Two stage Snow blower with torque
Reply #5   Nov 26, 2005 8:37 am
Thanks so much for the info. Do you folks think the tracks would work better then the wheels with chains?
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #6   Nov 26, 2005 8:54 am
muzak396 wrote:
Thanks so much for the info. Do you folks think the tracks would work better then the wheels with chains?

I think a track-drive would be better but wheels w/chains might be good enough. It all depends on your comfort level, your ability to muscle the machine up that slope and how much you want to spend. Try to get the best quality you can and describe your situation to your local dealer(s) and get a few opinions. A good dealer may even allow you to test drive the machine at your home. It certainly can't hurt to ask...all they can do is say no. What dealers do you have in your area (Honda-Ariens-Toro-Simplicity)?

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Garandman

Reply #7   Nov 26, 2005 10:30 am
The wheeled units are easier to move around when not running. That's one reason why the vast majrity of snow blowers sold have wheels, along with being less expensive and easier to maintain.

The 11526DLE is a VERY rugged machine. So is the 926DLE. Both have an automotive style differential that makes it easy to manuever, and the new ones can lock the wheels for max traction.

The new X Trac tires should give you plenty of traction on a paved surface, but you can add chains later if you need them.

I clear some sidewalks on a relatively steep hill and my Ariens ST824 is no problem.

Here's the average monthly snowfall for Poughkeepsie. You must live at a higher elevation?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Poughkeepsie-New-York.html
drumsonly2002

Reply #8   Nov 27, 2005 11:40 am

I bought a used Craftsman track driven unit earlier this week. From what I can tell, quality, Honda has most makes beat. So far as track units go, what the Craftsman got over the Honda is you can steer it. It turns nicely and I like that feature. I'd prefer a Honda, but my funds didn't comply. Went used, as I would not recommend unless you can work on snowblowers, but new, most units will last a long life if properly maintained. I spoke to sears last night to order a small part and they told me they do not have a lot of calls for parts for the track units. My driveway has some steep areas so I went track. There are some very aggressive tires for snowblowers these days called "Snow Hog" tires. The nice thing about tire type blowers is the ease to move them when the engine isn't running. Moving a track blower without the engine running is like moving a small tank. The nice thing about a steer able tank though, it will go through anything, and will not ride up plowing into snowdrifts unlike tire units. If I decided to go tire snowblower, getting a steer able unit with aggressive snow hog tires. I don't mind starting my snowblower up to move it as it starts on the first pull, but I hate to have the thing cop out on me at the end of the driveway, as a tire unit would be easier to push.

drumsonly2002

Reply #9   Nov 27, 2005 11:41 am
I should read my post more carefully, i ment to say, Honda makes the best, not beat. The spell checker didn't catch that one heh.
Garandman

Reply #10   Nov 27, 2005 1:36 pm
Carlisle Snow Hogs are still available on  some machines but most everyone has switched to the X-Trac.
kbog

Reply #11   Nov 27, 2005 1:54 pm
Gosh, I'm from Dutchess County and can't remember a winter that had 6 12" plus storms.  We had a little machine at the time and it did well except at the plow lines.   With a steep driveway, chains may be smart, but you could buy a wheeled unit with agressive tires (like the Ariens) and see how it does.  I'm not a fan of track drives generally, though my experience with them is limited.

Good luck. 
18Degrees

Reply #12   Nov 28, 2005 9:32 am
musak396

i have a hondaHS928TAS=9 hp with a track drive. My driveway is 18 degrees(looked like 30 degrees, but i measured it with a gravity protractor)- so i spent the 2 grand and got it.  ( i have  a $33.00 lawn mower to make up for it= 22 degree lawn).  

I love it, a wheeled blower would NOT have the same traction. YES, they are a grunt to move when not running, but one should have a parking space for it and run the blower 2 times in the summer anyway.

I tried my old neighbors "streerable" blower and did not like it. My dad had ( and still has, with carb problems) a 1990ish craftsman track drive= i liked that too.

The honda motor is a lower rpm torque monster. The big cost in the blower is the Hydrostatic TransissionŽ, i change speeds and direction ( forward and reverse) WITHOUT disengaging the drive level=faster blowoing.

Hope this helps      18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
nibbler

Reply #13   Nov 28, 2005 2:40 pm
There's been some discussion that indicates that the 926 and 11526 are the same machine.

Even the engines appear to be the same and there has been a LOT of postings about whether or not there is some unidentified internal difference that might give the 11526 an extra 2.5HP. I had thought theat the 926 was nimbler but upon checking out the Ariens sno product web site http://www.ariens.com/snow_products/ it appears that both units are identiacl in weight and size. The nly difference being the supposed HP rating of  what appears to be an identically specified engine.

Personally I would go with the 926, its not so much power you want as traction. If the tires don't work then chains will help.  If you get really stuck then blow while going down hill and come back up on the cleared area or take a smalle swath.
nibbler

Reply #14   Nov 28, 2005 2:42 pm
Sigh

I should have said "may be the same machine" sorry about that.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42