Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Mid sized snowblower for women

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cmwahl

Mid sized snowblower for women
Original Message   Nov 21, 2005 8:53 am
We already own a Boss Truck mounted snowplow for our 1/2 mile steep driveway, a 3 pt PTO snowblower for the drive around the house/barn ( on a amall JD tractor) and a tractor blade for large JD tractor. However, I am uncomfortable operating either tractor in close quarters around our barn. My husband usually does it but often can't get to it before the weekend. So I shovel snow or try to manhandle my wheelbarrows of manure through the snow. I am going to buy a mid-sized snowblower for me to use around the barn, to the manure pile and on the concrete pad in front of the house. Maybe 100' from house to barn on a gravel drive if husband is out of town. We are also on top of a hill in foothills. Picture very steep except for our top of the hill. Our snow can be 2-8" or more sometimes, up to 50" per year. I am considering a Simplicity, Ariens, and Craftsman, all 5.5-7.5 hp. My husband thinks I should just use the tractors, but he wants a Honda if I get one. Also, does everyone use chains on their wheeled snowblowers? I am looking for something easy for me to use and light enough for me to handle. I found the Craftsman in the store to have stiff controls and were okay to handle but somewhat unwieldy. I am going to look at the Ariens and Simplicity today.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
sabesh

"There's too much blood in my alcohol system"

Re: Mid sized snowblower for women
Reply #1   Nov 21, 2005 11:11 am
My wife found the Toros easy to wield around in the showrooms. They tend to be lighter due to their use of plastic chutes and controls. Cheers, Sabesh.
Garandman

Reply #2   Nov 21, 2005 11:52 am
Ariens has a Compact line that is smaller, lighter and lower-priced than their Pro or Deluxe models. There are three models but for the relatively small difference in price the 7524 is likely most popular. It weighs 160 lbs and MSRP is $829 although RW prices are a bit lower.

The Toro 6000 has a 2 stroke engine and weighs 214 lbs. Dunno what they cost in the RW. Honda dealers are very proud of their machines but a lot of folks who need to cover gravel drives or grass like their track drive model because the clearing height can be fixed. On wheeled machines the skids must be adjusted up a bit to keep from eating the gravel.

A single stage machine might work but pushing it would get old.

Older snowblowers tended to have turf tires with chains. New models come with Carlisle Snow Hog or X-Trac tires that grip well without chains. You can add chains to them but most don't find it necessary.

This is what the Ariens looks like.

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #3   Nov 21, 2005 6:38 pm
The Toro 6000 (formerly the 726te) retails in my area (NW Ohio) for $949 and looks like this one:

(hope this works)

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

Majorxlr8n

Reply #4   Nov 21, 2005 7:41 pm
It sounds like a small Honda track drive would fill the bill nicely. It offers an adjustable auger height so you don't pick up any stones from that gravel driveway, track drive for that steep hill, & hubby gave the nod to spend the $$$...

Marty

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42