Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Show Room versus Throw Room - My $0.02.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Show Room versus Throw Room - My $0.02.
Original Message   Nov 20, 2005 8:04 pm
Lots of folks are looking at new snow blowers this time of year. Many are replacing old models, but there are also lots of people buying a new two stage  snow blower for the first time.

Almost all machines on the market have 4-6 forward speeds and one or two reverse speeds. Almost all have a Tecumseh or Briggs & Stratton snow engine: many are overhead valve designs. Many have new features designed to make them more convenient to use.

The ease with which one turns the discharge chute, or the ease with which one can wheel the unit around are certainly part of any purchase decision. But  I'm surprised that the significant differences between the size of the rakes, auger gearbox, impeller and other highly stressed mechanical components are not taken as more important purchase considerations than the ease of which one can turn the chute on the showroom floor.

The true value of a snow blower is in blowing snow . The robustnes of the unit is going to be a lot more important than the convenience features.

The area I currently clear is such that whether I had a locked axle, unlocking wheel or automotive differential would make almost no difference in how much time it  takes me: I make half a dozen turns. But I have to contend with a lot of fences, and a lot of plowed sonw. So throwing very heavy snow high enough to clear six foot fences is far more important to me than adjusting the chute or turning around.

So spend a few minutes to look at and understand the components that actually touch the snow, not just the accessories.  My $0.02.

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42