Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which 2-cycle oil for Toro snow blower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JeffFarrar

Which 2-cycle oil for Toro snow blower.
Original Message   Nov 18, 2005 9:40 am

I know this is a stupid question. I have a 2-cycle Mercury outboard in which I run Mercury oil, a Sthil weed trimmer in which I run Sthil oil, and a Lawnboy lawnmower in which I run Lawnboy oil. Again all are 2-cycle. With all the different ratios I just make each its own gas can. Last year it got a Toro 2-cycle snow blower. I used up the oil that came with it but am unable to find the recommend Toro oil in any store. Hence this post.

What is a good quality oil to use with the Toro? Or should I mail order the real Toro oil? Any of the above that I currently use work? I would like something that has a fuel stabilizer. I don't run the same gas across two seasons but one batch will last me the whole winter.  I just have this thing about sticking with what the manufacture wants.

Thanks.

Am I being ridiculous for using all these different oils?

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SnowPro

Re: Which 2-cycle oil for Toro snow blower.
Reply #6   Nov 23, 2005 7:14 pm
Opti-2.

One mix for ALL of your 2 cycle needs.

Mix it properly and you can run it in all of your air cooled 2 cycle machines.

I have been using it professionally for years and wouldn't use ANYTHING else. One can beats 5 or 6. 

Ken

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #7   Nov 23, 2005 7:58 pm
SnowPro wrote:
Opti-2.

One mix for ALL of your 2 cycle needs.

Mix it properly and you can run it in all of your air cooled 2 cycle machines.

I have been using it professionally for years and wouldn't use ANYTHING else. One can beats 5 or 6. 

Ken

Are you using Opti-2 at 100:1 or a different ratio? What engines and applications are you currently using it in? How old are these engines?  Were you using a product previously that you were dissatisfied with? If yes, which product? Is Opti-2 providing you with any benefits other than the convenience of having only one mix? 

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

SnowPro

Reply #8   Nov 24, 2005 5:37 pm
AZinOH wrote:
Are you using Opti-2 at 100:1 or a different ratio? What engines and applications are you currently using it in? How old are these engines?  Were you using a product previously that you were dissatisfied with? If yes, which product? Is Opti-2 providing you with any benefits other than the convenience of having only one mix? 

AZ

Yes I am using it at 100:1 as specified by the company.  I have talked with the president on the phone and he gave me all kinds of assurance when I started using it.

I am using it in Shindaiwa trimmers and blowers.  Stihl trimmers and chainsaws.  Lawnboys new and old.  My oldest Lawnboy is a 1967 that I use to  cut my lawn with.  Only because it is old and running great.  Feels special running old equipment.  Toro lawnmower (with Suzuki engine).  Old Homelight chainsaw that won't quit.   Homelight hand held blowers.  I bought these to be disposable but they keep going.

Any new equipment that I have bought in the last several years has had NOTHING BUT Opti-2 since new.  I USED to have a separate container for everything, as each machine seemed to need a different ratio.  Having 5,6 or more mixed cans around, plus straight gas and diesel cans was getting ridiculous.  Once I got turned on to Opti-2, I never looked back. 

At first, I only used it in the brand new machines.  Then I decided to put it in all the old equipment as well.  They loved it!

ALL of my equipment is used commercially, and I can honestly say that they are lasting MUCH longer that should be expected.  I have one Shindaiwa trimmer that is over 10 years old, gets used about 5 hours a day during the summer, and is still running strong.  Compression is about perfect.  The dealer can't believe it.  He wants to buy it back to brag to customers, but I won't sell, so that I can brag about that!

I was never dissatisfied with any of the other products, just that I had so many mixed cans around.  It was always a stress, if one of the guys didn't read the label before filling a machine.

The engines I can honestly say have more power, and run clean as can be.  NO fouling of ports since the changeover.  As you run the Opti-2 in older equipment, it will actually help clean out the engine and improve performance.  I have seen this.  NO ring jobs, NO carb rebuilds, NO loss of compression.  I now spend a LOT less time servicing my equipment.

**This is starting to sound like I sell the stuff or something........but NO....just a hearty endorsement and trying to give assurance to those delving into these "strange waters"**

FIRST THING TO REMEMBER--------Mix it according to instructions--------and forget the ratio-------it will drive you nuts!!

SECOND THING TO REMEMBER---------In one week my equipment runs the same as the average homeowner uses in 5-10 YEARS.

Whew.....................

Ken

AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #9   Nov 25, 2005 7:11 am
SnowPro,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Opti-2. Although I've seen other mentions of it, yours is by far the most informative. I'm pleased to hear it works so well for you. I will certainly keep it in mind, although I already have enough Stihl oil on my shelf to last me several years because my Toro is the only 2-cycle I own. A few more questions. Opti-2 is a synthetic...correct?  Do you buy it over-the-counter or order it from a dealer? How much is it by the pint/quart/gallon? I did look at their web site but I don't feel comfortable calling someone about the product when I have no desire to purchase at this time.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

SnowPro

Reply #10   Nov 25, 2005 4:29 pm
AZinOH wrote:
SnowPro,

Thanks for sharing your experience with Opti-2. Although I've seen other mentions of it, yours is by far the most informative. I'm pleased to hear it works so well for you. I will certainly keep it in mind, although I already have enough Stihl oil on my shelf to last me several years because my Toro is the only 2-cycle I own. A few more questions. Opti-2 is a synthetic...correct?  Do you buy it over-the-counter or order it from a dealer? How much is it by the pint/quart/gallon? I did look at their web site but I don't feel comfortable calling someone about the product when I have no desire to purchase at this time.

AZ

No problem!  That's why we are here right! To attain a higher level of "OPEness" than the average Joe!

A lot of people seem to be scared of the stuff (because of the mix ratio).  No need to be at all.  REMEMBER---it is the OIL not the ENGINE that determines the mix ratio.

Opti-2 is NOT a synthetic.  I always thought so too, until I called the company and spoke with the president himself.  It is actually a parafin based product, so he said I should not  refer to it as synthetic.  Gets sticky sometimes with the all the types being hawked these days (eg. Semi synthetic, SUV synthetic, older engine formula, etc.).

One thing I find really nice is that it contains a fuel stabilizer.  No need to add this product at the end of the season, it's always there.  Now for me, that is great as I always mix in 5 gallon batches.  Any left over fuel gets used in the spring with no problems at all.  No need to drain carbs at the end of the season as it has stabilized fuel in it.  They start right up after sitting all winter.  As a homeowner, I think that is a blessing as some equipment can go for long periods without use.  I have had NO gumming up problems since using this product.

I get mine at a local OPE dealer, over the counter.  Also check cycle shops and such.  I buy it in the 1gallon jugs.  About $40.00 Canadian.  I purchased a bottle (of Opti-2) for mixing 5 gallons of gas, and use it over and over as a measuring "cup".  They sell it in various sizes from a little pouch for mixing 1 gallon up to the gallon jug for mixing 100 gallons of gas.  Around here, it has become the popular choice for chain saw guys.

HTH,

Ken

FrustratedOldMan

Reply #11   Dec 6, 2005 4:09 pm
I just purchased OPTI 2 oil along with a new Toro 2450.  When I got home and started to mix the oil I had questions since Toro recommends a 50:1 mix and the prepackaged OPTI 2 I purchased mixes at about 70:1.  I questioned the dealer about it and they assured me that OPTI was about the best you could get and that the ratio was fine.  That's when I went to the computer to do a little research.  I appreciate the info from SnowPro, it means a lot to hear about the oil from another source than just the dealer.  

For AZinOH:  I purchased OPTI in pre-measured 1.8 oz packets, which by my calculations yield about a 70:1 ratio.  I paid $1.70 US per packet.

Thanks all for the discussion.  It's great

luggy

Reply #12   Feb 16, 2006 4:53 pm
Ever consider synthetic?
Over oiling can cause problems of their own and destruction of the engine is one. This is caused by the hard carbon formed on the piston and then breaking loose and scoring the cylinders. I have seen that scenario many, many times in the years of working on equipment and even some relatively good techs will overlook the carbon and blame it on a lean mixture.

Oil is almost solely used today to carry the additive packages. That is why with new technology 100:1 mixes can be used in many engines with the right two cycle oil.
IE: Evinrude E-TEC now not only has more power and torque compared to current 2 cycles, but exceeds them AND 4 strokes in pollution.. 2 Strokes are far from dead and making a comeback. The Evinrude E-TEC can run up to 5 hours with NO oil at all with no internal damage. The engines computer goes into "limp mode" and will run at I beleive up to 2000 RPM. So much for worrying about oil/fuel ratios.

AMSOIL for one is why snowmobiles are allowed again in Yellowstone Park where they were outlawed just a couple years ago. Through extensive tests and considerable costs, Oils were reformulated time and time again. It was more than just a pollution concern too,that is the easy part, engines have changed over the last few years with the addition of Power Valves for one where carbon forms very easily with mineral oil. So they had to find an oil that would not clog the Power Valves but burn "clean" and carry enough lubrication. More and more OEM's are stating that Synthetic oil must be used to maintain their warranty.

Echo, Husqvarna, Stihl, Red Max and the rest do not make their oils. Most go out for bid usually every 1-3 years and some recommend a certain brand if not their own because they get paid for advertising. There are specs on all oils as you know, but what you may not know is, oil such as you buy for your vehicles, only 1 in 5 even meet what it says on the label.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #13   Feb 16, 2006 7:18 pm
Hi Guys!

I spoke to a tech at Kioritz which is a company that supplies a large # of two stroke engines to the OPE manufacturers. My initial question to him regarded using a 50:1 mix in a back pack  Kioritz powered blower that called for 32:1. He said the deciding factor was weather the engine had a hard chrome surfaced bore.If yes 50:1 with the newer oils such as Echo Power Blend would be no problem.If not then going to anything higher than 50:1 would not be a good idea.The blower in question was a Craftsman made for Sears by Echo.

I got the same story from the tech dept. at Stihl re:my chain saw.

It appears that the cylinder wall surface in a two stroke has a lot to do with the oil requirement.

Marc   

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #14   Feb 16, 2006 7:21 pm
My Bad !! Should say going to anything higher than 32:1 would be a no no !!

Sorry,Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #15   Feb 16, 2006 7:25 pm
This site needs an edit button!!!!

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42