Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Model 826LE versus Ariens 7524E Compact

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
EGreen

Toro Model 826LE versus Ariens 7524E Compact
Original Message   Nov 4, 2005 10:33 am
The Toro Retails around $1000 and the Ariens is in more in my price range at about $830.  What made me choose these two is that they both have Tecumseh engines and all of the Tecumseh engines I've delt with have been great.  I'm doing this research for my father who will be spending the money, I'm 17 and almost always snow blow the drive for him.  He has a heart problem and diabetis.  The less expensive toro than the one I was looking at had an R*Tek engine and I would much rather go with a Tecumseh.  There is the debate of L-Head versus OHV and from what I see is that they give more power with less CCs and are quieter.  I really don't care about sound (neither does my father)  just as long as it will last a long time and will be dependable.  I'm also a Fan of buying American and Made in USA equipment.  The Ariens web site cleary shows Made In USA but Toro is really secrative of where theirs is made.  I had always thought Toro made theirs domestic.  That alone may shift our choice of which to buy.  I was also checking out some Craftsman (from Sears), Yard Machines (home depot), and some Troy-Bilt (from Lowes) and they seem cheaply contructed compared to the Toro and Ariens.

I live just outside of Buffalo, NY in a suburb called Amherst.  We don't get the brunt of the lake effect but most snowfalls 4-8 inches and storms range from a foot all the way up to drifts with  5+ feet.  We can get anything from as little as 70-80 inches to well over 150 inches, sometimes over 200 inches in a stormy season (from what I have heard this could be one of those seasons).  I'm looking for something that will laugh at the 5inch range do great in the foot range and get the job done with 2 foot range.  I know there isn't really any blower out there thats going to move 5 feet with ease.  I know both of companies make great blowers and dealer support is really equal for both in my area.  The Price limit is $1000 right now.

The reason we need this new blower is because the 40 or so year old "Hahn-Eclipse Snow Giant" has died.  It made a loud clang after about 3 feet of a row then when I tried starting it again all the parts just spun freely.  The engine on it was a 7HP techumseh and there wasn't a thing I could throw at it that it didn't make its way through, not fast but it cut through nicely.

Here's some pictures of Snow Giant, rest in piece.  We're still going to take it to the service center (where we'll probibly end up buying a new one) and see how much it would be to fix.  The last 2 seasons its broke down during so it might just be time.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6
Picture 7

Replies: 2 - 11 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
nursedaddy

Re: Toro Model 826LE versus Ariens 7524E Compact
Reply #2   Nov 4, 2005 3:54 pm
I was thinking of the same two models, and went with the Ariens, which the dealer nearby sold to me for $759. Word is that Home Depot has it for the same price. I think the OHV 7.5 in a compact machine ought to throw snow very well. I cant wait to use it. The Toro was too big for my needs - storage, transport, maneuvering, and financial wise.

I dont think you'd go wrong with either, go look at the two machines, and see how they'd work with your space, strength, and wallet.

ND
AZinOH

Those who accept self-deception will perish by it.
Shakespeare said "to thine own self be true".

Reply #3   Nov 4, 2005 5:01 pm
I've read on other forums that Toro power products are manufactured in Windom MN. Unfortunately, I can't readily find a link which supports that info.  I have the 7hp Toro 726te with the Rtek (now called the 6000) and I like it. I have a review posted for it on this site. I happen to like the Rtek. Glad to hear that you had such good service from the Tecumseh. Either the Toro 826 or the Ariens 7524 would be a good replacement for your old machine. Let us know what you decide.

AZ

Snowblower...Toro Power Max 726te 2004

Lawn tractor...AYP w/ 14.5 Briggs-42in 2000

EGreen

Reply #4   Nov 6, 2005 1:26 pm
Well went to one of the Hardware Stores today to see the Toros and Ariens.  I must say the 7524 Compact is Compact.  It has a large impaller but the augar intake is alright in width but not very tall, looks like a toy compared to Hahn-Eclipse front end.  The Toro is more of the size we're looking for and my father likes the joystick.  He was looking at possibly getting the R*Tek but its seem like that is the engine from the snow commander put in a 2-stage and its a 2 cycle.  The mix isn't to bad since we have to mix for our single stage back-up toro but it all goes back to wanting that Techumseh engine and not haveing to worry about a bad mix.

The 826LE looks like a winner right now and my dad knows the owner of a Toro dealer (happens to sell Ariens too) here so we might be able to shave off some of that $999 price tag.  If we can get a deal on the 926LE that might just win it and from that ones size would certainly take anything thrown at it and doing all the sidewalks down the block would be fun :P

EGreen

Reply #5   Nov 6, 2005 1:34 pm
Oh my father likes the "military" style shovel on the Ariens models.  Says it reminds him of his Marine days with the little folding foxhole shovel.

Garandman

Reply #6   Nov 7, 2005 6:41 am
If cost is an object, you can replace the engine on your old machine with a new B&S OHV Intek Snow or Tecumseh for around $300. It bolts right on with the same hole pattern and the shaft height and diameter are the same.

Here's a 1970 Ariens with a new 7.5 hp motor. On that one I had to add a couple of ujoints ($9 each) to change the chute crank. I also repainted it and put in new skids and scraper bar ($20) and friction disk ($15).

drumsonly2002

Reply #7   Nov 7, 2005 8:21 am
Your rebuilt Aries looks new! Did you repaint it? Beautiful looking blower, I thought it was new. Very nice.
drumsonly2002

Reply #8   Nov 7, 2005 8:46 am
I should read posts more carefully. With regards to painting, (sorry to go off topic, maybe I should start another thread), what paint would you recommend? Remove all the old paint? Sand blast it? A great looking blower!
EGreen

Reply #9   Nov 7, 2005 10:40 am
The thought has crossed my mind to re-paint and strap on a new engine.  The main reason we decided not to do that is the new blowers have independent controls to make the augars go faster or slower from the wheels.  The Snow Giants engine drives the wheels from a friction disc and then a chain from the right wheel drives the augar.  Its not a bad setup as all the power goes through spot but it requires some rocking from time to time and I need a unit my father can handle when I go off to college in a year or so.  He also isn't really a handyman so I need something that will go a few years with out breaking down.  A new engine would certainly keep that part of the snow blower in shape but its only a matter of time before something else goes. 

My father is slowly being seduced by the 828LXE with the trigger controls for turning and is probibly going to spend a bit more over the "limit" now that he is figuring in the unit will last over 10 years if taken care of make the yearly cost alright.  The only concern he has with the Toros is the plastic parts wondering what the life of a the plastic versus steal would be.

pw3258

Reply #10   Nov 7, 2005 1:25 pm
Replaced a 15year old Toro 521 last year  and had narrowed it down to similar choices you are looking at.  Really liked the new design of the Toro PowerMax with the new offset auger housing and the joy stick control, but also liked the ruggedness of the Ariens (less plastic parts), both were offering the same Tecumseh engine so that wasn't much of a difference.  Looked back on the old 521 Toro and it basically had the same amount of plastic parts, chute included and never had a problem with any of them, and the Tecumseh engine never failed to start even after being left in the detached garage in blizzard cold conditions.  When I went to complete the purchase for the Toro 826LE, I was really swayed by the independent drive system on the 828 and you also got a headlight as an extra.  Ended up with the 828 and glad I did.  The 826 is almost the same machine, a bit lighter, no independent drive, no headlight.  I watched my neighbor who did get the 826 struggle to control the machine in deeper snow and drifts while I was able to allow the machine to use its own power to make the necessary adjustments.  Neither machine is slowed down by the heavy snow which is a result of the new auger design.  The 826/828 is probably more than your budget but if you can spare it, I am sure you won't regret  it.
Garandman

Reply #11   Nov 7, 2005 3:23 pm
Around here the Toro is selling for a little over $900.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42