Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > painting snow blower - impeller removal?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jonnyboost

painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Original Message   Oct 24, 2005 7:33 pm
hello everyone.

ive got a rusty blower housing on a 1998 MTD 2 stage  snow blower.  i want to sand the inside and then repaint.  the only problem is i can't figure out how to remove the inpeller and auger assembly so i can get at all of the blower housing.  i have the sides of the auger free but im not sure exactly how to go about removing the impeller.

-how do i remove those spring pins just before the impeller?

-or do i have to dissassemble the gear assembly to get the auger and impeller out?

any help would be appreciated...thanks for helping out an old man,

jon

Replies: 4 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
singercs

Re: painting snow blower - impeller removal?
Reply #4   Oct 29, 2005 5:46 am
If the unit is seized even a little bit the job will not be very easy, you will have to have a puller, also might need lots of heat, plenty of time and if all else fails, then you will have to cut the whole unit out and replace shaft,bearing,impeller etc etc.

this is quite a job if you have not done it before, the suggestion of renting a sandblaster is a good one.

try a local dealer or your library and they will have standard manuals that you can use to proceed with the job.

RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Reply #5   Oct 29, 2005 8:53 am
I'm with Garandman on this one 100%.  Sandblasting would be a disaster.  The sand (you shouldn't use sand because of the possibility of silicosis from fractured sand) will probably be what is called "black beauty" is really silicon carbide.  Pretty inexpensive.  Sandblasting is also relatively slow if you have a lot of surface to clean. 

However, unless you have a cabinet that fully encloses your workpiece, when you blast, the grit gets EVERYWHERE.  In your hair, on your clothes, and all over everything within several feet of where you're working.  Then anyone that walks into  your area then tracks it into the house. 

It will also get into whatever bearings or bushings you may have in your housing. 

Depending on machine age, your luck, and/or condition, taking the thing apart can be easy or very difficult and might require special tools.  I don't know much about your machine, but if you can get to the back of the housing, there is probably a pulley there.  If you can get that off easily (and any other things that might be on that shaft), then that's probably the hardest part.  There's also probably a bearing or bushing retainer that holds the shaft in place.  The impeller and auger assembly is now basically supported in three places- the rear bearing mount and the two sides of the auger.  If you can disassemble these three points, then you should be able to jockey the arrangement out. 

If you get the impeller/ auger assembly out (and any bearings or bushings), then you COULD sandblast.  It will still take quite a while.  I used paint remover on the housing on my '88 Ariens.  It also took a while, but it was much cleaner and I could do it at my convenience.  After getting most of the paint off, I used a spray Rustoleum rust converter product (from Walmart or similar) as a primer.  I'll leave the finish color up to you. 

Other pieces of advice:  1.  Take lots of digital pictures along the way- you won't remember how some things go back together.   Especially important if you do step three below.  You won't remember which auger rake went where. 

2.  Keep all parts together in a box or bag, else you will lose something.

3.  This would be an excellent time to make sure the auger rakes spin free- remove the shear pins and grease the shafts before reassembling. 

4.  I didn't see where you live, but this might be a little late in the season for snowblower disassembly and painting. 

Hope I didn't forget anything.  Good luck

Ralph

jonnyboost

Reply #6   Nov 1, 2005 5:37 pm
thanks for all the info RalphS,

i ended up taking the easy way out and just wire brushed and sanded down all the rough spots.  then shot it with some primer and top coat.  it actually came out looking pretty good and its now lubed up and ready for the white stuff.  thanks for all your help

jon l

helix_guy

Reply #7   Nov 8, 2005 3:43 pm
I have used a product at Home depot called Stripese, It takes any paint off right down to bare metal in a few seconds. I used it on my Chrysler vans roof. it went reight down to bare metal before my eyes. then you use a neutralizer spray, wipe it down and prime it, and repaint. came out like a factory paint job.
I have a question. I am rebuilding a Bolens 4021 2 stage snowblower. same probem, I think there are shear pins in the second stage shaft, that if I drive them out I should be able to get the whole thing out. I need the front gear box. the gears are gone. I was given the following MTD part numbers, 1720933, and 1740468 as replacement parts. I'm not sure if these are really the replacement parts or not. Any one got a 4021 gear box they want to sell? I removed the side impeller mount bolts, and the 2 stud bots on the pully in front of the engine. Still won't budge. I think there are 3 more bolts in front of that where it enters the second stage auger housing and the shaft goes through a beaing, I need to remove. Once I get it out, if the two part numbers are correct, then I can repair the gear box. Am I heading in the right direction.-Steve
LordVader

Reply #8   Nov 10, 2005 11:58 pm
It's an MTD, and you care to make it look good why?
Replies: 4 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42