Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Basic Snowblower Help!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stibach

Basic Snowblower Help!
Original Message   Oct 19, 2005 12:06 am
Hi,

I'm contemplating buying a snowblower for my Dad, and have some basic questions.  I've read many of your posts, and am a little lost right now with all the discussions!...lol

He lives in Alberta, Canada - where they get only a foot and a half of snow per year.  But since he has a gigantic driveway, sidewalk and patio, he has a lot of ground to cover, and since all his neighbors are aging, I think a snowblower could help him.  However, although there is not much snow, it gets very cold (25 below - Fahrenheit) and he doesn't have a garage.  Will the snowblower still start if it's stored in an unheated garden shed?  And, given that there's not much snow, but cold, does he need to get the heavy-duty ones (2 stage?) that I have seen mentioned?  Or will it be enough to get a "lighter" one?  Is a snowblower practical in terms of maintenance and starting?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.  I hope these questions weren't too laughable for this forum!

Thank you.

Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dave

Craftsman 88799

Re: Basic Snowblower Help!
Reply #3   Oct 19, 2005 7:11 pm
As MM stated, snowblowers are engineered to start in below zero weather. Factors such as maintenance and oil make a big difference. Synthetic oil is better in very cold weather for a 2 stage due to the improved viscosity, which allows the engine to turn over easier.  Also, electric start is a big help in cold weather.  Single stage machines such as Toro GTS and Honda have good reputations for cold weather starting. For a decent single stage I would look at the Toro 3650 which has a 20 inch clearing width, 6.5 HP R-Tek engine and electric start, for around $700.
stibach

Reply #4   Oct 20, 2005 12:53 am
Thank you so much for your advice!  It's good to know the snowblowers can handle the frigid weather.  Further to John Davies response, most snowfalls there are 4-6", and he will probably have to throw the snow 10 or 12 feet (the driveway's not so wide, but long).  After reading through a lot of other posts on here, I guess my Dad's driveway is nowhere as "gigantic" as one on an acreage!

So, thanks again - I really appreciate the information.

Garandman

Reply #5   Oct 21, 2005 12:16 pm
Something like an Ariens Compact with electric start should do great for him.

You can buy a cover or just put a tarp over it.
Clueless

Reply #6   Oct 25, 2005 9:36 am
I'd go with a smaller - say 5 HP -- 2 stage, 4 cycle,  with electric start.  But if you can, stay away from Tecumseh engines -- I have 2 pieces of equipment with them and they are of poor quality.
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42