Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > OT: Central AC units - Carrier v. Trane v. Lennox

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NYCGator

OT: Central AC units - Carrier v. Trane v. Lennox
Original Message   Sep 23, 2005 6:59 pm
Ok so a central AC system is technically not outdoor power equipment, but the condenser is outdoors and it is powered.  So I'm looking for some advice from the board that has given me great advice on other topics, because it's time to replace the Central AC system in my house (20 year old air handler leaking freon and a 14 year old condenser).

I'm pretty much looking at the top of the line systems from Carrier (Infinity 18), Trane (XLi 19), and Lennox.  Does anyone have any experience with these units and recommendations as to one manufacturer versus the other.

Right now I'm favoring the Trane, but I am somewhat concerned that it is a Freon based unit, not Puron. Now I know Freon will remain available essentially for the entire useful life of any new AC system, so if there any reason not to still purchase a Freon based system?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
RalphS

There's a reason for more than one snowblower.
Because.
1974 Ariens 824 SnoThro
197? Ariens ST270 SnoThro
1988 Ariens ST824 SnoThro
196? REO Snowblower
1960 Ariens SnoThro
1964 Ariens SnoThro

Re: OT: Central AC units - Carrier v. Trane v. Lennox
Reply #1   Sep 29, 2005 10:45 am
I have a little experience with the Lennox unit we installed a few years ago.  No problems yet.  A few months after it was installed, Lennox had some deal that doubled the warranty to 10 years and a free cover.  Of course, we were too early. 

Check to see if there are any "add-on" deals available. 

You may also be eligible for money back from your electric utility if you purchase an "energy saver" or something like that. 

We weren't eligible for that rebate either.

Good luck

Ralph

machXS1

Reply #2   Sep 29, 2005 9:22 pm
Not an expert either, but we have a 5 ton (60k BTU) Carrier. It was installed by the builder so I'm pretty sure it a 10 SEER. Since you are looking at high end units, it's probably not going to affect you but the Fed is upping the minimum effeciency rating from 10 to 13 SEER in January 2006. Our Carrier has no problem with cooling but it does make a loud startup noise if it has been off for more than a couple of days. The installer says it's due to the compresser being "tight" and the noise is from it unsticking itself on startup. He said it won't cause any long term reliability issues, but who knows.

I didn't think there were any bottom feeders (aka cheap Chinese manufactuers) in the central AC market. I could be wrong.. Good Luck!

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #3   Sep 29, 2005 9:37 pm
I have a Rheem, with the Scroll compressor. Has been reliable, and its a 10 SEER. Scroll is the biggest thing these days.

http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=a4e96fca-f69a-4286-bc60-b74da5a6fd03

I do like the Trane units, they are remarkably quiet, durable, and if you get the units with the Variable speed, they save even more energy when you dont quite need the maximum cooling. As always, see how the neighbors like their units, and ask the mechanic who will be servivng it.And I mean mechanic, not dealer. They guy who gets dirty knows what breaks more often.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
spottedpony

Reply #4   Oct 2, 2005 6:49 pm
i really think the major brands are about equal, but some food for thought:
Now is the time to install if one is going to do it. its my understanding, government requirements are mandating the increas in the seer rating of new installations and the hvac contractors are telling me ac installations will about double in price.and will require changing out the compressor unit, (on existing installations) as well as the condenser in the air handling unit, as the two styles are not compatable.  manufacture of the higher seer rated units has begun and while sale of the old style isnt prohibited when the're gone, they're gone.  preliminary cost analysis ive seen shows that even with the higher effeciency ratings of the new units, still projected a higher yearly operating cost on the more effecient unit (because of equipment cost difference) than the previous style unit. so while they may be more energy effecient its till going to cost more to install and run.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42