Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage thrower - Toro CCR3650 or Ariens 722-938018?? Others?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
livenlearn46

Which single stage thrower - Toro CCR3650 or Ariens 722-938018?? Others?
Original Message   Sep 5, 2005 10:39 am
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I live in the Chicagoland area. My driveway is 2 cars wide by 2 cars long but its sloped downward toward the street. So I like to use a single stage snowthrower to get the snow up all the way down to the pavement. I've been using a Jacobsen Sno-Burst for many years now and have been reasonably happy. But this year I'm ready to step up to a more powerful machine. I've been looking at the Toro CCR3650 and have recently noticed the Ariens 722. Then there is the 4 cycle Honda HS520, but thats a 5HP. Any comments on the Toro vs Ariens? or comments on the 2 cycle vs 4? Thanks.

-Mark

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: Which single stage thrower - Toro CCR3650 or Ariens 722-938018?? Others?
Reply #1   Sep 5, 2005 6:55 pm
Mark - The Toro's are fine units. Can't comment on the Ariens 722 - haven't used one, but the Ariens name is a fine one. The Honda is 5hp & 4 cycle, your old Jake is probably 3hp, so that is a difference in power. The 4 cycles usually have a quieter exhaust note & don't have a slightly smoky exhaust, but 4 cycles do require oil change intervals. Try to find an OPE shop where you can see one running if possible - this may help you decide.

HTH & Welcome!
Marty

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #2   Sep 7, 2005 9:52 pm
I have a 3650 and love it.  I got the electric start but haven't used it, so for the extra 100 bucks you probably don't need it.  It goes up an incline of 1-3/4 inches per foot without a problem.  My driveway is about 2200 square feet.  It can do a 12 inch snow, bogs a little if real wet, but I like being "out there" during a nice snow, and it can clear 6" in about 10-15 minutes.

I would definately check to see where you can get your blower serviced locally, regardless of the brand you choose.  Dealers by me charge the same as the "big boxes", so I would support them, as they will fix it when it needs it; whereas the boxes won't.

I hope this helps.

livenlearn46

Reply #3   Sep 8, 2005 10:37 am
Walt and Marty,

Thanks so much for your responses. Walt - I'm glad you feel that the Toro 3650 was the correct choice. Let me tell you about my research. I was trying to find people who had first hand knowledge about both the Ariens and the Toro single stage blowers. Eventually I called www.nationallawncompany.com and spoke with Rob. Rob was the most knowledgable person I spoke with regarding single stage blowers in general and Toro and Ariens and the other models in particular. Rob said that the Toro was very highly rated in the 10/04 Consumers Reports Snowblower Review so I got a copy and sure enough, the Toro came in 2nd place, with the Ariens coming in much further down the list. The 4 cycle honda came in first place, but the 5hp toro and ariens were tested. Since then Toro and Ariens have come out with 6.5hp (toro) and 7hp (Ariens) versions but Honda is still at 5hp. Rob also said the Toro blew snow much further, especially wet heavy snow. The toro discharge chute doesn't seem to clog, and the rubber paddles seem to pick up snow better and throw it further than the Ariens. The shroud has apparently been redesigned to surround the carb with more hot air to eliminate the carb freez up/clogging problem with earlier versions. Finally Rob said that Toro will be raising prices 3% - 5% as of October 1st and that the 2006 line up for Toro single stage blowers hasn't changed - just model names/numbers have been updated. Rob convinced me so I ordered a Toro 3650 from him. I'll be getting a 2006 model next week. My wife asked me to get the electric start so I ordered the e version. I should get it next week. Seems like the assembly will be easy - I only need to attach the chute and the upper handlebar. Sounds easy enough.

BTW - I really wanted to support a local shop. But all the prices at local shops were considerably higher than the online stores I found. Also the locals need to charge 7.75% state sales tax. In the end I would be paying over $100 more to buy local. There are tons of Toro service shops around me and I sense they are used to serviceing equipment sold by others. Also Toro extends the warranty to 3 years for purchases made in September 2005.

So here I sit in Chicagoland. Its early September 2005 - the temp outside is in the 80s and sunny. I find myself thinking about winter and anticipating blowing the snow with my new Toro 3650 blower ... how sick is that?? lollllll!!!!!! You all know how it feels ... you've been there yourselves right?!?!?!?

-Mark

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #4   Sep 12, 2005 5:46 pm
I want some snow to blow    Congrats on the purchase and take some pictures and post them up.  Use it for a bit and put up a review on it, then take more pictures of what it looks like in action. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

machXS1

Reply #5   Sep 27, 2005 9:53 pm
First post..great forum with lots o' relevant info!

I am in a nearly identical situation as Mark..Chicagoland w/ 2 car driveway. However, I'm *torn* between the Toro 3650 (electric) & Honda HS520A (recoil). Warranty work is not an issue since there are many dealers in my area. I'm leaning towards the Honda since it's 1) a Honda & 2) a 4 cycle engine (no oil/gas mixing). As far as I'm concerned, if we get more snow than a single stage can handle I'm taking a snow day! So, are there any Honda owners out there that are satisfied with the 5hp model?

Thanks!  

livenlearn46

Reply #6   Dec 14, 2005 11:16 am
I wound up buying the Toro 3650, and am I glad I did. Here in Chicagoland we had a 6" snow fall last Thursday 12/8/05. I fought my 14 year old son to be the first to use the blower (he did have to finish his homework first afterall :) ) The Toro went through the snow like butter. No problem throwing the driveway snow 25 - 30 feet. It cleared the EOD snow effortlessly. Later my son did go out and clear too. He was throwing the snow as high and as far as any 2 stage on my block. It cleaned down to the pavement, and the blower can pull both it and you along as fast as you want. At first there was some pull to the right but I just pushed up on the handle a little bit toward the left and that solved the problem. Was able to clear my 500 sq ft drive, and do the sidewalks of 6 homes in either direction 2+ times on a tank of gas. The engine is loud in the garage and there is the telltale 2 cycle engine smoke. But I dont notice the smoke or noise once I'm "in action". I'm very glad I went with it, and so is my son!!

-Mark

P.S. They are predicting another 3-6 inches later today! Bring it on! :)

loudsubz

Reply #7   Dec 14, 2005 12:24 pm
On  a side note, how far does the single stage units throw snow usually? My Honda HS35 doesn't seem to throw it that far, but then again I need to replace the rubber on the auger, so it might help a bit, but Im assuming in general single stage are about half of a good dual stage?
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42