Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda mowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OldToroOwner

Honda mowers
Original Message   Jul 17, 2005 12:33 pm
Hello gang,

Haven't posted in a while because I've been so dang busy doing stuff on my house!!..

Thinking about getting a new self-propelled but I'm torn between a Briggs engine and venturing into Honda 'territory" for my next mower.   I liked the new HRX models I saw at Home Depot($599.) Don't think I want to buy it there as I've seen some of the OPE they assemble..LOL.

Anyone have any experience wth their mowers??

I want my next mower to last a good, long time as my current 8 year old Murray's drive system has been hit or miss lately and it may be on it's last leg. It's got a Briggs 5.5 quantum engine on it that's served me well, though. Would like to go to a 6.5 because there's been times when I could have used the extra power.  Don't want a push model, either. Will probably stay between $500.-600, or so price wise. Although I like the idea of a light weight deck ,is plastic the way to go?..or should I go aluminum?? I've a lot of concrete edgeing(sp?) on my property , of which I'm always running against, so I'm a little concerned about the durability of the plastic decks!

Also am considering the "higher -end" Toro's as I'd like to stay clear of the Tecumseh engine on mowers...just my prejudice, I guess. 

Any thoughts?...Recommendations?...

Thanks..

This message was modified Jul 17, 2005 by OldToroOwner
Replies: 9 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
OldToroOwner

Re: Honda mowers
Reply #9   Jul 24, 2005 9:51 am
Marshall- You may be right, now that I think of it.

I remember my brother's next door neighbor saying something to that effect about his Honda. I checked on their website and it looks like they've fixed that as the last notch on the wheels is supposed to be 4" approx.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the Honda 217TDA model or the Toro 20056 Super-Recycler,  which has the aluminum deck, blade clutch,  B & S  6.5 engine( don't know if it's an Intek or Quantum??...) I think the Toro offers a longer warranty, but can't be sure. 

I sent emails to Mayberry's just to see what thay could do price-wise.  Anyone have experience with them??

This message was modified Jul 24, 2005 by OldToroOwner
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Re: Honda mowers
Reply #10   Jul 24, 2005 11:28 am
OldToroOwner wrote:
MountainMan--

Don't quite understand?? Do you mean that the wheels don't adjust as they normally should for different heights of cut??..

Tried adjusting the 217 HRX model at "Home Deeps" and it seemed fine??... 

Maqrshal answered it. There was a thread a while bach about how the height adjusters only wnt as high as about 3". Not good for summer heat and drought. I usually cut 3.5 or so.

Its so humid and wet in Ct now that ive been cutting evry 5 days again

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Replies: 9 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42