Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Antique Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kdshah

Antique Snowblower
Original Message   Jul 11, 2005 12:48 pm
I've been searching w/o much success for information about a Craftsman 536-82170 snowblower.  It's old w/ no rubber wheels.  The wheels & tread are made of steel.  I think it may be an old Homco made by Western Tool & Stampiong of Des Moines, Iowa & sold under the Sears name.  Does anyone have any info?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Re: Antique Snowblower
Reply #1   Jul 11, 2005 4:00 pm
hi- I also have one of those old sears blowers- has a large round plate that spins simular to a fan rotation..has pegs on it. I don't know anything about it except I know it says 'craftsman'. It may have a plate on it somewhere that I can look for if you think that might help.    Gene
doug_1000

Reply #2   Feb 24, 2006 1:52 pm
Hey, I'm new to Abby's guide.  Just did a google search and dredged up this old thread on antique snow blowers.  My 14-year old son is a power-equipment fanatic and has a machine just like you guys describe: metal wheels, and the impeller points toward the front, with big studs.  Self-propelled with no interlocks whatsoever.  Ah, I guess its safe to say that it preceeded the Consumer Product Safety Commission.  Has a big lift-off metal cover for the engine, shaped unimaginitively like big box.  Makes it look like a toaster.  Craftsman model 536-82170.  Let me know what if you guys learn any more about the origin or date for these things.
Noreaster2003

Reply #3   Feb 24, 2006 4:06 pm
Can you guys post some pictures?  Old and Dangerous power equipment is always cool to look at!
Garandman

Reply #4   Feb 24, 2006 4:19 pm
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowhistory.html
Noreaster2003

Reply #5   Feb 24, 2006 4:29 pm
Garandman wrote:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/snowhistory.html

I have seen that site before garandman,  Gotta love that guys beast out in Littleton, Ma.   When your snowblower stands taller that you 1ton dodge ram, the nabors are in trouble.

Didnt realize that had a pic of that craftsman there,  hey is that one of the first serrated augers?

BBgarage

Reply #6   Feb 24, 2006 5:42 pm
Wow, those are pretty cool, especially that last one, which I don't know how anyone could buy if they had kids or pets. Does anyone know what he means by barrel roll in reference to that blowers whose auger does a barrel roll when the shute turns?

Mike
Noreaster2003

Reply #7   Feb 24, 2006 9:59 pm
BBgarage wrote:
Wow, those are pretty cool, especially that last one, which I don't know how anyone could buy if they had kids or pets. Does anyone know what he means by barrel roll in reference to that blowers whose auger does a barrel roll when the shute turns?

Mike

Yeah this is a whacky design so like what apple says "think different"

On your snowblower at home, when you turn your chute crank the chute rotates where it attaches to the auger housing.  Ok now think of that chute pointed straight ahead of you and it being stuck in that position.  Now think of turning the crank and instead of the chute rotating on its axis, think of the chute and the impeller housing rotating from left to right taking the chute horizontal.  If you look that the lombard machine on that link  when you rotate the chute crank the chute will end up on the other side of the machine. 

I ran into something similar to that,  i had a bad habbit of taking snowblowers out of the trash and fixing them up then trying to sell them.   That one i left!  

BBgarage

Reply #8   Feb 25, 2006 12:24 pm
Ok, so I think I get it. The entire front end of the blower rotates left or right? Who ever came up with that must have never heard of taking the easy way out.

Mike
glenn

Reply #9   Jun 2, 2006 3:51 pm
I have a snowblower like you describe.  Has the Craftsman tag on it with serial number 536 821.  I have used it for years.  Runs fine.  Anyone want to buy it?  Or do you know anyone who might? 
deganator

Reply #10   Apr 5, 2010 4:43 pm
i have the exact same one you are talking about.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42