Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sears Power Washer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mbforwood

Sears Power Washer
Original Message   May 21, 2005 9:22 pm
Hi all!!  New member here and hoping for some help.  I am looking at 2 new craftsman power washers.  One is th 7.0hp 2900 psi with B&S engine and OHV engine.  For $50 bucks less is a 6.5 hp 2550 PSI with a regulat engine(no OHV).  I am looking really to celan my deck(rarely) and more for pool area, large stamped conrete patio, dribeway, siding,etc.  I relly like the OHV engine, but the guy at sears tells me that 2900 psi is too high for my uses and I will ruin the items I  hoping to clean.  He is suggesting the 6.5 2550 psi.....is there really that much difference??  I need help ASAP.  Thank you in advance.   
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mbforwood

Re: Sears Power Washer
Reply #2   May 21, 2005 9:34 pm
OKay....I really like the design and features of the 7.0 OHV.  IF i get it do you think it will make me ruin my stuff.  Isn't there a way to dial the pressure down??
Termy

Reply #3   May 21, 2005 9:36 pm
Presure washers that big usually come with a different nozzles to put on the end of the gun to change the presure. Also some of these large presure washers come with a regulator on the pump to regulate the presure. A OHV is nice I agree, but if it does not have different nozzles or a presure regulator, I would rather buy something else if it meant saving something from destruction.

mbforwood

Reply #4   May 21, 2005 9:40 pm
okay...thanks.  Yes...it does have different tips to put on it.  It looks like they suggest 40% tip for normal use.  Think I should go with the one I really like.  Is it like most other things...better to have too much than too little??,
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #5   May 21, 2005 9:46 pm
Kinda looks like the Troy-Built washer. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

itzbinnice

Reply #6   May 21, 2005 9:49 pm
If money is not an issue I would most certainly buy the 2900 PSI with the OHV engine. I have a Sears that's only 2250 with a 6 HP InteK engine and I wish I had more PSI, the higher the pressure the faster the job goes.  The Intek engine runs quite quiet and the neighbors will appreciate it. You can regulate the pressure by adjusting the pump, or on my wand , you can weaken the pressure by rotating the head. Just use common sense, don't get too close to the surface with the wand head and practice in an area that if you screw up won't be too obvious. Once you get the hang of it you'll wish you had more PSI to make the job go faster.
robmints

Reply #7   May 21, 2005 10:34 pm
Is that like Mdforbush?

Home Depot has some real nice Honda GX Excell stuff right now. Real good selection for some reason. Power washers are great, you need to use some common sense. The free turbo nozzle from Sears is a nice freebie. 75241?

For $400-$500 machines I would look around a bit before I jumped though. While looking, look a lot closer at the pump than the engine. IMO.

Of the things you are considering cleaning, just about any gasoline powered machine you will find could do some damage. You need to use care. They are not toys. They can hurt you. Break glass, shread vinyl siding, tear up wood, in general you need to becareful. That said, power washing is relaxing and satisfying, a lot of fun, and can really do good job where nothing else will.
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #8   May 22, 2005 12:18 am
I have the Troy Built and am quite happy with it. I went to sears first and then I went to Lowes...the Troy Built is the SAME as what sears is selling (Sears is blank and Troy built is red) only Lowes charges less for it.

Mine is 2200PSI and is plenty for around the house work. And it is so fun to use, I don't need the job to go any faster! LOL!!!

Check this out...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&catalogId=M040080

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

lland

Reply #9   May 22, 2005 8:20 am
What I like about the higher-end units is that you are probably getting a better pump as well.  Should last longer.

You do have to be careful with the power though.  I rented a commercial unit to clean our big redwood playset and with the wrong nozzle, it could easily cut deep into the wood.

LL

2001 Toro 20023 Personal Pace
2002 John Deere Trimmer/Edger/Blower
2003 Craftsman DYT 4000 - 25HP/48" w/bagger
2003 Toro 826LE Snowblower
2004 Mantis Tiller/Dethatcher/Aerator/Edger
2005 Husqvarna 145BT Backpack Blower
Rubbermaid 10CF Trailer
Craftsman 40" Plug Aerator
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #10   May 22, 2005 11:48 am
Don't forget its not only the pressure but the flow that is also important. Cleaning units (CU) is the flow rate x pressure. The higher the better I assume. Because 110V electrics are limited to a max. amp draw I've seen ones where the pressure goes higher, but the flow rate drops.

With a 7 HP engine I would guess the flow rate is quite good on it.

I bought mine last year and although it is only 2200 Psi, the 2.9 GPM works nicely to give a CU of 6380. Didn't think I'd have a lot of uses for it but after I got started, I cleaned the deck, the siding, the driveway and walk, cleaned out the street gutter into the storm drain, and did the trailer. Turned out to be a useful tool after all.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

DRLMN1

Reply #11   May 29, 2005 11:10 pm
 I bought a Sears last year with the 2550 PSI, 6.75 HP  with the two containers for washing chemicals and it does any job just great. All you have to do is use the right nozzle for the right job. I'm not a big Sears advocate, but for washing greasy engines its great.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42