Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which is better buy? Sears Honda 5.5HP vs Briggs 6.75HP Lawnmower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Scotiaman

Which is better buy? Sears Honda 5.5HP vs Briggs 6.75HP Lawnmower
Original Message   May 16, 2005 8:56 pm
Hi All , I am about to buy a new Lawnmower.  I live in Canada and narrowed it down to 2 Sears Craftsmen models.  They are the same push type mowers with only one difference....the engines!  I have my choice of a 5.5HP Honda Engine for a price of $349  ($80 off this week!) or a 6.75HP Briggs and Stratton engine for a price of $299 ( this is the Sears value price so it is always on special)

Not that there is much difference and I am sure both are good machines, but I am wondering what you guys think is the better machine/deal/value?  Which engine is better?  The Briggs has more HP...is that key? 

Also, very important to me is which machine/engine is more reliable and requires less maintenance and will last the longest?

Is it a coin toss or is one clearly the better choice?.....All opinions are welcomed and thxs!

Scotiaman

Replies: 3 - 12 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Scotiaman

Re: Which is better buy? Sears Honda 5.5HP vs Briggs 6.75HP Lawnmower
Reply #3   May 17, 2005 7:54 pm
Why would the Honda need more maintenance?     Is it less reliable?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   May 17, 2005 7:59 pm
Maybe he means cost per repair.....parts more expensive?
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #5   May 17, 2005 8:23 pm
Marshall wrote:
Maybe he means cost per repair.....parts more expensive?

Well from I have been seeing lately of the Briggs and Honda pricing (after all I do see a lot of it), I'd say that the Briggs prices are tending to be a bit higher then the Honda.  Which is seeming really strange, just a couple of years ago you'd have to ask the person to sit down before you gave then a repair cost on their Honda.  I'll compare a Briggs paper cartridge filter to a Honda paper cartridge filter - the only difference between them is one is blue, one is white.  They are identical but the Honda one retails at the dealer cost of the Briggs one.  Does that make any sense?

So the way I look at it - there's going to be pricing issues for parts on both - but they should probably equal out in the end.  I do tend to lean towards the Honda GX series.  The consumer GC series is a good Honda motor, but it's just that a consumer model, haven't seen any troubles with them yet, but they don't have the life expectancy of the GX series.

Hope that helps instead of confusing.

Sherri

This message was modified May 17, 2005 by MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
robmints

Reply #6   May 17, 2005 9:00 pm
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/briggs_main_kits.cfm
BRIGGS

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/air_honda.cfm
HONDA

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/snapperparts2.cfm
Snapper Transmission stuff and misc

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/honda_trans.cfm
Grab you boots. Honda transmission stuff.

I know this is a little off topic. But Honda stuff ain't cheap. It's worth it sometimes, but it's not cheap. Sorry to hear Briggs is getting more expensive though.
Marshall

Reply #7   May 17, 2005 9:30 pm
So, you say you want a hydro?      LOL 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   May 17, 2005 10:11 pm
I've only heard from Termy that Honda engines have more problems than the Briggs.  I'm thinking it's probably more carb related.   Who agrees with this?
This message was modified May 17, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Dantheman

Reply #9   May 17, 2005 10:53 pm
My vote is with the Briggs and Stratton. I purchased the top of the line Honda self propelled mower with the cruise control last year and it ran great all season. This spring it needed a simple carb adjustment and guess what...the manual says take it to a dealer!!!

When you take the air cleaner off to get to the carb, the whole carb drops off the engine. I found a screw with a spring under it and assumed it was the one I wanted and gave it a slight turn. Put the carb back on and lucked out. The engine stopped searching at idle.

If this keeps happening every year the Honda is going in the classifieds and I'll get something with a Briggs. At least Briggs tells you how to adjust their carbs and RPMs so you can save money by keeping it out of the shop.

I'll take a little more noise and an extra pull or two to start a Briggs any day after my experience with a Honda.

Dan 

Marshall

Reply #10   May 17, 2005 11:02 pm
I'll take a GX series over a Briggs. The GC or Briggs Intek OHV? Probably Briggs.
Scotiaman

Reply #11   May 17, 2005 11:07 pm
It's a Honda GC engine vs a Briggs Quantum engine....which would you choose between those two?
Marshall

Reply #12   May 17, 2005 11:18 pm
If it's the same mower with two engine choices, the GC Honda.

If it's not the same mower, I may very well take the Quantum if I like the mower itself better.

Does that help any?
Replies: 3 - 12 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42