Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Easier way to change the oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Easier way to change the oil?
Original Message   May 15, 2005 11:07 pm
Is there a device that allows you to put a tub down the oil filler neck and pump out the oil as apposed to going underneath? If not, there sould be! And if so, can you post a link, or brand name, or where to look for one?

Thanks again,
Brian

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jgreen

Re: Easier way to change the oil?
Reply #1   May 16, 2005 8:46 am
Hello cleanmaxx Brian,

Do a google search on topside oil changer.   or visit any marine supply store.         my friend uses one on his boat    

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #2   May 16, 2005 9:59 am
NICE!!! That is perfect!!! Thanks John!

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

spottedpony

Reply #3   May 16, 2005 11:27 am
ive never been a fan of pumping the oil out from the top, even though it can be a real hassle on some pieces of equipment. the problem that exists as i see it, by not draining out the bottom drain plug, theres no way to be sure one gets all the sludge that may be present nor any condensation that may be present in the crankcase. by draining out of the crank case drain and taking the time to let it drain well,  and getting all possible contaminants removed from the engine.
cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #4   May 16, 2005 11:30 am
I bet that is the reason for running the engine first. I know in a car or an engine with a screw on filter, this shouldn't even be an issue as the filter should catch the contaminets...

Brian Chang

nibbler

Reply #5   May 16, 2005 12:26 pm
cleanmaxx_brian wrote:
I bet that is the reason for running the engine first. I know in a car or an engine with a screw on filter, this shouldn't even be an issue as the filter should catch the contaminets...

Partly. It mostly has to do with heating the oil up a bit so it will drain faster and easier. I would guess that it would also help a bit if you use the suck it out from the top technique as well. I tend to think draining from the bottom is better., gravity is so dependable.

As far a a car filter is concerned, if it caught everything then you wouldn't need to change the oil. You could change the filer and then top up. Unfortunately a filter catches stuff above a certain size, anything smaller and it gets through. As a filter loads up with junk it can actually catch smaller stuff but not all of it. Unfortunately it also impedes the flow of lubricant more and more..  At some point the impeding the flow of lubricant bexomes more of a problem than the catching smaller stuff and you need to change the filter.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   May 16, 2005 2:16 pm
Brian, I have an oil drain plug Sears put on special.  What you do with it is just put a tube on the end, and twist and pull.  Here is a diagram

It's number 38, Sears part number 148315, someone like Buttlint or Snowshovler might be able to help you get the plug. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

cleanmaxx_brian

Reply #7   May 16, 2005 3:11 pm
Thats is pretty cool! I am going to look into that! Thanks!!!

Brian Chang

Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #8   May 16, 2005 4:02 pm
1st off as someone mentioned the only reason for running the engine is to warm up the oil so it indeed drains faster and more completely athan if it were cold.  #2 i would also reccomend not using this pump out method.  If you have ever seen a drain plug that is magnatized( I magnetize all mine) , all those shavings would be left in everytime.  Now in the days that most parts are turning towards aluminum, the drain plug wont catch them anymore, so they will just settle at the bottom of the pan.  Too heavy to go up and get caught in the filter.  Just my 2 cents.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   May 16, 2005 5:28 pm
a couple years ago we were at an update school and they were bragging about the oil vaccuum ,of course i was a sceptic.

a guy next to us said he got one to use on argos.and now its used all the time.

so we decided to get one ,well it came and we were still sceptical so we used it and still took out the drainplugs just to check if it was working as supposed to.

i can tell tou now that its the best tool in the shop     no question about it.

and the engine manufacturers say its okay for them to.

if you can get one in your budget go ahead,was about a hundred canadian. for an 15 liter size

should be almost free in US  

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #10   May 16, 2005 6:35 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

should be almost free in US  

later chris

In Alaska Senator Stevens makes sure you get paid to buy one.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42