Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Maintenance on shop equipment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
spottedpony

Maintenance on shop equipment
Original Message   May 4, 2005 10:46 am
We're at the time of year everyone is getting, or has gotten, lawn care & other summer equipment readty  for another seasons use.  Remember the maintence on the tools and equipment used to maintain and repair the outdoor equipment. Hand tools should be kept clean and free of grease. Grind screwdriver tips so they are sharp & not worn. Keep edged tools sharp, repair  or replace damaged extension or tool cords, or cord ends (this applies to air hoses too) keep air tools oiled & dont forget routine maintence on air compressors (these are often the most neglected shop tool) clean or change the air filter on compressors, & make sure cooling fins, lines etc. are free of oil and dirt buildup  for effecient cooling. adjust belts. check & change the oil in compressors as recommended by the mfgr. & use the proper oil in them. most compressor mfgrs  recommend "compressor oil" or 30 wt non detergent oil. & multi weight automotive oil is not recommended, (quote from a deviblis manual: multi-viscosity motor oils such as 10w30 should not be used in an air compressor, they leave carbon deposits on critical components thus reducing performance and compressor life)  dont forget to open drain valves on compressor tanks regularly to prevent excessive moisture buildup in tanks & lines. & above all else keep the work area clean & clutter free.
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Maintenance on shop equipment
Reply #1   May 4, 2005 11:23 am
Good post.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #2   May 4, 2005 3:50 pm
My workbench is always open in case I need to sit something down on it real quick 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

cleanmaxx_brian

"At least I am enjoying the ride"

Reply #3   May 4, 2005 4:06 pm
My bench...and where I like to spend "quality time"

For the rest of my home away from home,

http://www.pbase.com/cleanmaxx_brian/my_garage

Brian Chang

Ariens 8526LE, Bradley 32" 12.5HP walk behind mower, Echo BP200 blower, Troy Built 4.5HP Pressure Washer,  Craftsman 4.5HP Yard Vac, Homelite line trimmer, Scotts 21" high wheel mower, MTD 3.5HP Edger.

Termy

Reply #4   May 4, 2005 4:14 pm
Good post!, I bet many people do overlook these things! But, I use 5W oil in my compressor. My compressor is a 6.5 gallon direct unit. There is no belt no a very large moter. Its 2HP on a 120 outlet plug. When I first got it without a manual and was not able to look it up on the net, I felt the oil in my finger which was left in the compressor, and it felt like 5W oil. So, naturally I am running that in it and have had no problems what so ever! I am able to run it both winter and summer. If a air compressor needs 30W, that is a very large moter. Probably 6HP

spottedpony

Reply #5   May 4, 2005 5:23 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
 If a air compressor needs 30W, that is a very large moter. Probably 6HP

Actualy its not the voltage or horsepower that determines the oil wt required. a smaller compressor works just as hard as a larger one, only it deals with smaller volumes of air. i'd suggest you check with the mfgr to see whats recommended, 5 wt is pretty light in all but extremely cold (below zero) temps.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #6   May 6, 2005 11:11 pm
Very nice Brian.  Did you get a deal on those kitchen cabinets or did you just get them for looks?  I like to have more area in the back on my workbench so I can set some of the things I need.   
This message was modified May 6, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

Reply #7   May 6, 2005 11:13 pm
Damn Brian, you're more obsessive than I am, you could eat of that floor. I'm impressed! Looks nice!
Termy

Reply #8   May 6, 2005 11:21 pm
There is a point when you can go too far and have a shop too clean. It looks like a Woman lives there lol

Marshall

Reply #9   May 6, 2005 11:24 pm
Better watch it termy, you're going to be eating those words soon. (Paula)
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42