Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > OPE for Christmas?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

OPE for Christmas?
Original Message   Dec 25, 2004 10:55 pm
Did anyone get any OPE for Christmas? How about IPE?
Replies: 18 - 27 of 55Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: OPE for Christmas?
Reply #18   Dec 28, 2004 1:10 am
I thought that IPE was Internet Power Equipment. Maybe we could refer to the computer equipment as CPE. Anyway, I'm building a new CPE with a Chaintech ANF3-250, with a AMD XP 64 3400+. A media center PC with gaming capabilities. That project will take a chunk out of the toy account.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #19   Dec 28, 2004 7:28 am
Dave

I hope you find something soon. Any company would be lucky to have you and you can tell them I said so....

Emmo

Don't take that growing up business too seriously! When we lose the kid in us is when we start to get old.

Paula

Marshall

Reply #20   Dec 28, 2004 10:36 am
Here here!
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #21   Dec 28, 2004 10:50 am
Thanks Emmo & Paula...

It's all in the timing... hoping new positions become available at the beginning of 2005...

My career is in the Information Technology field... the past 8 years working as a Lead SAP/ABAP Technical Analyst/Developer... I.E. ABAP programmer... (SAP = enterprise software package that many/most large corporations use)... I prefer to stay with SAP... although I have a solid background with other software...

There are several companies who use SAP within commuting distance from where I live in CT... My target is a local full-time job... if I don't get this within a couple months or so... my next option is to work on a contract basis for any consulting firm... in-state or out-of-state... there are more opportunities out-of-state for SAP/ABAP work...

But... there's a lotta' low-cost competition working as a contractor in SAP/ABAP... both on-shore... and off-shore... primarily resources/people from India...

Example... there were 10 people in my group... 7 are gone... 3 are left... at least one who remains (maybe two) is a non-US-citizen here on a work visa... go figure... I'm a citizen who worked for the company for 23+ years... and the non-citizen who's been there a year or so stays...
It's a sad story but it's true...

The past 3+ years I've experienced a divorce after a long marriage along with near-financial devastation...
My 26 year old son passing on this August...
...and loss of my job a month ago...

Positive do come though...
I''ve met a wonderful woman a couple years ago...
We now live in the comfortable home I grew up in...
Her daughter just had a beautiful baby...
So next.. is a new job...

I look at this as a great opportunity for me to advance my career and skills... ...and hopefully pay...

Life can be a roller coaster... hang on ! ...it's a fun and scary ride !

Dave...
This message was modified Dec 28, 2004 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #22   Dec 28, 2004 11:06 am
Dave

What a fantastic attitude! And not only do you make your own life better because of your attitude, but you touch other peoples' lives in a positive way as well . Thank you for posting what you did. I have been through a few of the things you listed and you are absolutely right.... life is a rollercoaster...and how the ride feels depends exactly on your perception.

Have you thought about starting your own consulting firm? One thing I have heard about the foreign companies (I do transcription and a lot of the hospitals tried for a while to job it out to India because of the cheap labor) is that the quality isn't there.... their education system isn't complete and they can be very arrogant and don't care much about quality. So, if you were to start up your own consulting firm, stressing quality and personalized service, you might find companies welcoming you with open arms....the India/foreign tech guys might come cheaper but how cheap is it in the long run if they don't do it right or do it with a rotten attitude? Just an idea.

Paula

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #23   Dec 28, 2004 11:35 am
Hi Paula...

Thanks for the good suggestion and compliment...!
I try to see and focus on the positives in any situation/event... even when it's the most apparently negative... such as a loved one passing on...

Yeah... It's possible for me to start a one-person consulting business... but it's a lotta' red tape/overhead/cost/time from what I hear... most consulting companies will hire you as a W2 employee on a contract-by-contract basis... at a lower rate than if I had my own company of course... ...but they spend the time lining up the opportunities... this takes a lotta' time/effort... ...and client companies usually do not (almost never) contract with small business's in the SAP world... they want a large enough company that can provide all the resources needed for projects...

You hit the nail on the head regarding the lack-of-quality using off-shore/on-shore "low-cost" resources...
They typically do not have to "live with" what they produce... and/or do not know how to produce quality...so turning out cr@p is typical... (not talking about manufactured items here... although it may apply)...

I always emphasize quality in the work I do... whether I live with my end product or not...

Some corporations have figured this out... and even experience higher costs by going with the "low-cost providers"... and are now comming back to hiring qualified employees...
...but many companies are just starting the off-shore approach... and have yet to experience/learn,,, more and more jobs from different disciplines are going this route...

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Majorxlr8n

Reply #24   Dec 28, 2004 11:38 am
Dave - I also commend you on a fantastic attitude - it says a LOT about your character! There are firms that hire out (contracting) for this kind of programming & they usually pay very well - you may want to check in your area. I have been kinda mopey (and not posting much) due to my having to work permanent midnight shift starting New Years Day - I feel rather guilty & embarassed now!

ChrisS - What kind of CB didja get? I used to be into that YEARS ago. I still have a Lafayette SSB-75 (with mods ) that is collecting dust!

I got a Ryobi laser level for my IPE gift.

Marty

Marshall

Reply #25   Dec 28, 2004 12:10 pm
Dave, hang in there my friend, it sounds as if you are doing a great job of doing so too. In addition to software, I work at a world wide tool and fastener company that just switched to SAP from Oracle, what a pain! Even though I am in the sales end of the company, if you ever find yourself considering my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to assist you.

The internet is very large but, it's amazing what a small world this can be sometimes. I consider you a friend and even family in an OPE kind of way. Just wanted to extend myself to you for anything I could possibly provide a hand with. God bless you.

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #26   Dec 28, 2004 12:32 pm
Thanks Marty & Marshall...

Thanks to everyone for your friendship & support... !

Hey Marshall... maybe your company can use some "expert" SAP/ABAP help... been working with it for the past eight years... I can drive my camper out there for lodging if there's a campground nearby... heee...heee...
...and come home every 1-3 weeks if they pay enough or pay living/travel expenses... many contract/consulting companies pay living/lodging & weekly travel expenses on top of a decent hourly rate...

Do they have a consulting firm there now supporting the project ? What release of SAP... 4.6C... 4.7 ?

"Head West young man ! "

Dave...

Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

Reply #27   Dec 28, 2004 12:43 pm
Dave it's all in house so imagine they would want to keep it that way now. We have a pretty strong team in IT but I am sure they would like to have a SAP pro on staff too, though our people are becoming more that way as the weeks go by. I have no doubt that it would require a move.

I'll e-mail you where to send a resume if you would be so inclined? You can let me know in e-mail or PM if you would like to or or not.

Replies: 18 - 27 of 55Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42