Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Coffee with milk colored oil?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mrmom

Coffee with milk colored oil?
Original Message   Apr 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Neighbor came over today with a Little Wonder Deluxe edger he found for $20. He figured we could tinker with it and see what happens (like we know what we are doing.. yeah right!). Apparently the unit is in the ballpark of 12 or so years old. Supposedly ran last season but has been kept outside exposed to the elements. Looks like it too! Anyway, we figure the external rusted stuff can be sanded and painted or lubed. AMost parts moved. The belt driving the blade is obviously worn but not dry as there are no cracks. Gas tank is metal and is about half full. Who knows if it is stabilized or not? There is rust on the inside steel parts of the gas cap.

We were going to start it up and I did the first thing I do before starting a four stroke up..... check the oil. This is a 3 hp Briggs by the way, series 80202. And this is why I came to this forum even before pulling the cord. The oil has the color of coffee mixed with milk. Kinda like a light brown. What does this mean as I have never seen it before?

Now before we go the route of fresh gas and new plugs and fresh oil, we want to know what the significance of that oil color is. We will base our next move and expenses on your expertise and recommendations.

We would both like to get this thing going as I have a 175 foot front and 150 foot rear sidewalk to do. He has about 75 and 100 foot front and rear sidewalk as well. Figuring the cost and hopefully minimal total investment, it would last us a few good years and beers between us.

Thoughts anyone?

Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42