Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Blew my battery?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billski

Blew my battery?
Original Message   Apr 16, 2005 8:26 pm
I have a 3YO Snapper RER mower.  For the second year in a row, I left the battery connected and the ignition switch to "on" for the winter.  I need not tell you what happened.  Again.  Is there any hope of recharging the battery?  I manually started the engine and ran it for a half hour.  Just a "click" when I turn over the starter.  Last year when this happened, I took the battery dealer's advice and just got a new battery.  Is the battery toast?  I don't want to waste money on a battery charger if the charge won't hold.

By the end of leaf cleanup in the fall (end of November), it's quite cold and the last thing I want to do is futz around outside.  So, I run the engine till all the gas is gone and push it into the garage.  Fergets to switch it to off or remove the battery (don't go there.....)
You think I would know better.  I have an EE degree to boot.  Double-duh.  Such is life...

Thanks!
This message was modified Apr 16, 2005 by billski
Replies: 15 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
billski

Re: Blew my battery?
Reply #15   Apr 17, 2005 8:47 pm
Terminator20 wrote:
Every engine that uses a battery for electric start, weather its a RV, car, lawn tractor, snowblower, ETC, the battery must be placed on a slow regulated trickle charge. This keeps the battery up to full charge during the winter months. Failure to do so, would result in a dead battery.

Would you keep the charger on, 7x24 if you will, all winter, or only every now and then?
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Apr 17, 2005 9:01 pm
You have a PM.
billski

Reply #17   Apr 24, 2005 2:14 am
Thanks all.

Picked up a $30 slow-trickle automatic charger at Sears.  The battery seems to be holding it's charge, so I'm holding my breath that the patient will be ok.  The charger came with a "quick connect" plug which when fastened to the battery lugs allows for easy charger attachment.  Given this, is there any reason not to leave the battery attached to the mower during the winter months and simply hookup the charger now and then?
Replies: 15 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42