Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > synthetic oil

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
wrecked

Never leave fish to find fish

synthetic oil
Original Message   Apr 17, 2005 5:57 pm
You can go from petroleum based oil to synthetic but not from synthetic back to petroleum. I am told that if you go back to the petroleum, significant engine damage can occur. does anyone know why this is a problem?

Thanks, chris

OPE:John Deere 180 w/plow,Toro 724, Redmax EB6200, Craftsman 2400 psi PW, 24 Grady w/Mariner 200 Offshore
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
robmints

Re: synthetic oil
Reply #1   Apr 17, 2005 7:43 pm
I have never heard of that one. Well, I lied. Way back when, when synthetic oil just came out. I think it was made with a different base stock or something.

If I were you I think I would call or email the oil manufacturers that make the types you use.

It is my understanding PAO and PE base stocks are compatible with one another and mineral oils.  What type of oil do you have?

Why in the world would you switch back? Does the engine consume a lot or leak?
TheKneebiter

Reply #2   Apr 17, 2005 8:12 pm
That is a very old MYTH. it is not true. go to mobil 1 website and read the myth section.

mikefla1

Let's get it!!!

Reply #3   Apr 17, 2005 8:26 pm
I was kinda thinking it was a myth, but I wasn't postive the first time I read this thread. I know some of the new trucks like frieghtLiners & Peterbuilts ,that they come with synthtic oil in the trans and rearends. Because my dad has a diesel shop and alot of time when customers have something got wrong with them they don't want to pay the price to put syntetic back in them. So I would guess it would be not dirrent than a motor.

Exmark 48inch & Bridges 36inch walkbehind, Scotts 21 inch walk behind mower,Husqvarna trimmer and blower, Echo PE200 edger,Weedeater & Stihl HL45C hedge trimmers,Echo CS440 chain saw and a Stihl HT101 power pruner, and a El Cheapo pressure washer.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #4   Apr 18, 2005 12:47 am
I have gone back and forth in cars over the years and never had a problem.  I do try to stay with syn once I start no doubt.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Garandman

Reply #5   Apr 18, 2005 5:33 am
Mobil 1 FAQ's

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42