Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Restoring old Ariens snowblower - some questions.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garandman

Restoring old Ariens snowblower - some questions.
Original Message   Apr 11, 2005 5:45 am
The drive disk looks worn, but is there a minimum specification for overall diameter or thickness of friction material ? Or, how thick is a new one?

One of the augers came right off the shaft, but the other one won;t come free. They've been lubricated regularly so presumably there's some rust at the ends holding it in place. Would it be more effective to heat the shaft and try it, or should I just go buy a puller, or am I likely to need both? Is the auger shaft a solid piece or is it split on each side of the gear housing?
This message was modified Apr 11, 2005 by Garandman
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Garandman

Re: Restoring old Ariens snowblower - some questions.
Reply #2   Apr 11, 2005 12:13 pm
The next bit of excitement is that the housing is slightly cracked - 1/4" to 1/2" - at each lower corner. Should I have them welded? Presumably they will spread over time, OTOH there isn't a lot of metal to weld there, anyway.
jubol

Reply #3   Apr 11, 2005 12:21 pm
 GMAN,

I would suggest that you drill a small stop hole at the end of each crack, then have it welded.

We used to do that on our heavy trucks!!

Fred           

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Garandman

Reply #4   Apr 11, 2005 1:39 pm
I've pretty much settled on the B&S Intek Snow 7.5hp as the replacement engine. I can buy a brand new one for $320 with electric start. Or for $300 I can buy a "floor model" that is new but has some handling wear and includes an alternator.

I live in the city and have never needed a headlight. Is there any other reason why I might want the alternator?

Also, what do you use to check the rpm of these small motors? From other posts here it seems that setting the governor to run at the high end of the normal range is desirable.
jubol

Reply #5   Apr 11, 2005 2:46 pm
  GMAN,

Check out  the "Small Engine Warehouse".

7.5 Briggs Intek goes for $295.00, including shipping!!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Garandman

Reply #6   Apr 11, 2005 3:04 pm
Sir, they have free shipping on some engines but the Intek Snow  is not one of them. Shipping runs $25-40 for ground.
jubol

Reply #7   Apr 11, 2005 3:24 pm
 GMAN

Just went there and had a 7.5 for  $270.00 plus shippimg to dover, De for $23.00, total 293.00.

Also get a light on your blower, not for you to see, but for you to be seen!!!

Fred

Garandman

Reply #8   Apr 12, 2005 4:26 pm
Just bought a gear puller to work on the auger, and lined up a weld shop.
jubol

Reply #9   Apr 12, 2005 4:31 pm
GMAN,

Anwsered your question, sent you an Email.

Fred

Garandman

Reply #10   Apr 16, 2005 7:20 am
OK, I think the best approach to take with the stuck auger is to take the assembly apart and then have it pressed off the shaft. Any special instructions for dissasembling the auger housing? I ordered the service manual but won't have it for a week or more.

Could I go to an 8" wheel from the 6"? I'd like the increase in contact patch this would yield if I'm going to Snow Hog tires (from chains). This would effectively decrease the numerical drive ratio, but I am adding 50% more power.....Hoever I'm concerned that it would be tilted too far forward. Maybe I'll prop it up and see how it looks.

I was going to have a local shop change the friction disk, but they won't work on snowblowers until August. So I'll probably do it myself, so I can wrap up the project.
This message was modified Apr 16, 2005 by Garandman
jubol

Reply #11   Apr 16, 2005 7:39 am
 GMAN,

You should have plenty of power with your new engine.

But remember with the 8 in wheels ,your blower will be 33% faster than with the 6's in each gear!!!

Should make one great blower!!

Fred    

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42