Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > "Summerizing" the new Ariens snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

"Summerizing" the new Ariens snowblower
Original Message   Apr 9, 2005 9:49 pm
Well guys,
Being a man of faith........I'm going to take a leap here and assume that I will not need the snowblower anymore this season.
This is what I have done or will do to put it away for the summer. 
I'm posting this so all you smarter OPE people here could tell me if I should do anything more or different....

Cleaned, waxed everything.
Drained gas out of it, put new STABILIZED WITH PRI-G gas in tank.
Took sparkplug out, looked at it, (it was kinda black), cleaned it. Sprayed fogging oil in cylinder hole, pulled rope a few times, reinstalled sparkplug.
Oil was still pretty new, but will change it again in the fall with new 5-30 synthetic.

Should I grease anything? Should I buy that "red" grease Ariens recommends and do anything to the inside gears, friction disk, or anything?
Should I store it on blocks to take any pressure off the tires?
Should I do anything to the battery?  {I bought a small Schumacher Battery charger/maintainer for it, but never even used it this year.)

What else should I do to it?  I was thinking about buying a small amount of  touch up paint for the very few places inside the chute/impeller area that is chipped from normal use.

You all know the motto we on this forum live by....TAKE CARE OF YOUR STUFF AND THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.

Thanks guys!

Frank D.
This message was modified Apr 9, 2005 by faithfulFrank

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Emmo

Re: "Summerizing" the new Ariens snowblower
Reply #1   Apr 9, 2005 10:02 pm
Sounds like you have it pretty well  ready for bed!

I would probably change the oil now, rather than in the fall.  I would rather have clean oil sitting in it during storage as opposed to contaminated.

Anyone else have an opinion?
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #2   Apr 9, 2005 10:52 pm
Frank

It does sound like you have covered most of the bases...I would change the oil now.  The old oil has acids that have built up from use which will eat into the engine internals.  $3 for a quart of synthetic vs. shortened engine life....

Make sure to grease the zerks on the auger.  I did that today and found water coming out of the shear bolt hole.  Grease will help keep the rust from "welding" it to the shaft.  I also wipe down the entire blower with a paper towel that has clean motor oil on it.  It does a great job of stopping the rust....only problem with it is that it attracts dust

bbwb

MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

Reply #3   Apr 10, 2005 6:58 am
Even if the oil is pretty new, I'd still change it now.  That way any of the stuff that's in the oil won't settle to the bottom and not come out in the fall.

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #4   Apr 10, 2005 5:40 pm
Ooops, I forgot to lube the zerks on my machine, and take the shear bolts out and move the auger while greasing.  I'll do that in the fall.  

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42