Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2 Cycle Oil - Ratio and Brand

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Terp

2 Cycle Oil - Ratio and Brand
Original Message   Mar 23, 2005 10:52 pm
Well, after trolling for some feedback on a new trimmer and visiting a number of dealers, I have kind of settled in on the Echo PAS 260 head unit with the rapid load trimmer and the edger attachment.  No one has had anything bad to say about Echo.  When I pick it up, it feels right - good balance, not too heavy, and offers some flexibility.  I'll probably pick it up next week.

So what about oil?  Synthetic or stick with the Echo or Stihl 50:1.  I have two other pieces of 2 cycle OPE (a  Weedeater brand leaf blower and edger about 12 years old) that use a 40:1 mix.  I'm not crazy about having another fuel container with yet another type of fuel in it.  Can I use the 50:1 Echo or Stihl for all my 2 cycle OPE?  Does the Echo/Stihl 50:1 have adequate lubrication qualities for the older 40:1 equipment?  Or go with synthetic for everything, which I believe is 100:1.   Anyone know if the warrranty is affected if you use synthetic at 100:1?

Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Blue9R

Re: 2 Cycle Oil - Ratio and Brand
Reply #5   Mar 25, 2005 4:29 pm
Good advice by 18 Degrees.  After reading his post, I realized that I have an unused MixMizer  "turkey baster" sitting on a shelf in the garage.  Will have to put it into service & give it a fair test.

I have a 32 oz. Pyrex measuring cup that I purchased at Walmart for $4-$5 for mixing individual tanks, or smaller than a gallon quantities.  Due to the gas in the Milwaukee/Chicago area being an RFG with ethanol, I really try to mix up only the amount of 2 cycle gas that I need for that day or weekend.

pecanmanwill

got a dog named Devon and a cat named Scooter and a She cat named Fluffy

Reply #6   Mar 25, 2005 6:41 pm
Terp---I know it is always best to follow manufacturer,s recommendations but over the years I have saws and weedeaters, etc, that vary from 32:1 and 40:1.  I usually mix the 40:1 mix and run it in all---Never had a problem with any.  Don,t have enough nerve to try some of the 100:1 mixtures of the synthetic,s but I venture to say they would do the job also.   ----Will

Will--sometimes called pecanmanwill
Garandman

Reply #7   Mar 26, 2005 9:14 am
I don't know about these small hp motors but on our Yamaha outboard we use Ring Free, which is an additive designed to prevent the rings from sticking. Supposedly the new fuels make this more likely. It may not be necessary in yard equipment - I subscribe to the "small boat, large ocean" theory, though and don't take chances.
Replies: 5 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42