Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Quick books or Peachtree

Community Discussions

Search For:
robmints

Quick books or Peachtree
Original Message   Mar 6, 2005 6:00 pm
Quick books or Peachtree? Maybe something else? Manufacturing company, all by hand right now. Should I consider something else? Sorry, but I am trying to get all the input i can. Thanks.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
whyme

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.....

Re: Quick books or Peachtree
Reply #6   Mar 7, 2005 9:14 am
Mints,

I used to use Peachtree back in 1994 & found it very hard at that time to use. I switched to Quickbooks Pro that year & have never looked back for the last 10 years. The one thing you do need to think about about is how often you are going to call their help number, I think they charge for help desk support.

I think more importantly, you need to look at how you're going to invoice & keep track of financials. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

GeorgeC

Ariens 1128LE and various other grown-up toys....

robmints

Reply #7   Mar 7, 2005 12:46 pm
Thanks all.

8 empolyees, 100 customers, 100 vendors, 5000 parts.

Inventory is seat of the pants right now. I would not mind it being tracked, but that sounds like a lot of work.

I would like to enter an order, print an invoice, packing slip and a UPS ticket (that enters it into the UPS record for pick up).

Inventory OK.

Also I would like to able to issue po s and pay invoices from the po s.

No payroll, it is done outside. Just a weekly journal entry.

Use it on more than one machine or load it on a external hard drive so I can take it.

what am I missing?

Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #8   Mar 7, 2005 1:26 pm
Mints

There is software out there that will adjust your inventory on the basis of a shipping ticket or with invoicing....wouldn't have to be separate entries.  The rest sounds pretty standard stuff you are looking for.  I set up inventory for a food distribution company years ago and that is how it worked but this was customized software.  There are more prepackaged options out there now. 

I'd be happy to do some digging around online tonight and see what I can find, if that helps any. 

Paula

robmints

Reply #9   Mar 7, 2005 6:16 pm
Paula wrote:
Mints

I'd be happy to do some digging around online tonight and see what I can find, if that helps any. 

Paula

Paula,
You have helped me plenty already. I'm pretty well set on the Quickbooks. I'm crying at the price, but when you get these programs you invest a tremendous amount of time setting them up with all the inventory, customers, employees, and vendors. Not something I would want to pick the wrong one and be sorry. Thanks very much for your help.
Paula

Reply #10   Mar 7, 2005 7:16 pm
Mints

You are very welcome.  And, like OPE, think of it in terms of your time being worth buying the 'higher end' package because of the time it will save you in the end (so you have more time to spend on your OPE....)

I hope you'll update us once you get it up and running on how its working out.  I envy you the set up as I enjoy doing things like that...starting from scratch and making it all work, headaches and all.  ).  Have fun! 

Paula

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #11   Mar 7, 2005 11:24 pm
Yup, I was President of the Administrative Council of the church at the time we bought it and I had to twist a few ears and bend a few arms but  we went with it AND the laptop to boot and it was expensive but worth every penny IMHO and we have not looked back since and when the council started getting the impressive breakdowns on  the new monthly expense reports the program provided us with that silenced all of the critics talking behind my back lol....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
whyme

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.....

Reply #12   Mar 8, 2005 9:45 am
robmints wrote:
Thanks all.

8 empolyees, 100 customers, 100 vendors, 5000 parts.

Inventory is seat of the pants right now. I would not mind it being tracked, but that sounds like a lot of work.

I would like to enter an order, print an invoice, packing slip and a UPS ticket (that enters it into the UPS record for pick up).

Inventory OK.

Also I would like to able to issue po s and pay invoices from the po s.

No payroll, it is done outside. Just a weekly journal entry.

Use it on more than one machine or load it on a external hard drive so I can take it.

what am I missing?

Robmints,

Purchase orders - Can be done on QB though I've never used it.

Invoicing - Can be done & you can use items (materials), labor (if you use timesheets) w/ associated rates & track sales tax as well as mark-ups. Keep in mind all this would need to be set up in advance.

Inventory - Can be done on QB though I've never used it.

Packing Slips - Can be done on QB though I've never used it.

UPS Ticket - I've never seen this, make sure this is available if someone told you that.

Weekly Journal - Can be done on QB, but only as good as the information you put in as you probably already know.

Load on more than one machine - You can get as a 5 user package. This allows you to allocate rights to certain aspects of the books. For instance someone can enter bills while someone else is entering invoices. Just be careful, you cannot have two people doing the same thing at the same time. 

FYI, the database file (books) gets large very quick. If you plan on taking the file home with you on a laptop, just remember that it's a live file & that you need to freeze the copy in the office if you are working off-site. Otherwise you would be overwriting entries by the office staff. Also, don't plan on using floppies, my file is somewhere around 30-40 MB.

The one nice thing about Quickbooks is that I can give the file to the Accountant & he uses the information & reports to generate what's required for filing taxes, 1099, W4's...etc., but it's only as good as the information inputted into the file. FWIW, if you can get a copy of the software from a friend, I would try it out & set up a test company. I found that I got better at using the QB features each time I set up a company (3 so far & should be doing it again in a month or so).

GeorgeC

Ariens 1128LE and various other grown-up toys....

robmints

Reply #13   Mar 12, 2005 2:04 pm
Dear George, Paula, and Chris,

I got Quickbooks Pro. Just did the tutorial. George is right, getting started is the hard part. I think I am going to start with a little sample company with just a few customers and vendors so I can make some mistakes. One thing, support is outsourced, you know what that means. I'll need to have my India Indian translator standing by.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #14   Mar 12, 2005 3:35 pm
Rob, I got one of the Indians the other day.

He asked where I lived, I told him, he asked me to repeat it, then spell it. I asked where he was from and he said Missouri. BS, anyone in Missouri knows where Tulsa Ok is and how to spell it both words.
(roll eyes)
Paula

Reply #15   Mar 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Marshall wrote:
Rob, I got one of the Indians the other day.

He asked where I lived, I told him, he asked me to repeat it, then spell it. I asked where he was from and he said Missouri. BS, anyone in Missouri knows where Tulsa Ok is and how to spell it both words.
(roll eyes)

Marshall

What...you couldn't hear the Missura accent? 

That was my chief complaint with Dell (that and the fact that my computer sucked)....all the tech guys were Indian and would get pissy if you had to ask them to repeat stuff (won't even get into their whole attitude towards women....).  . 

Sorry Mints...that is a big drawback in my book....but unfortunately, it seems like more and more companies are going that route...my sister who works for GE said that they did it too in their parts departments. 

Paula

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42