Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Meet our newest family member...

Community Discussions

Search For:
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Meet our newest family member...
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 12:03 am
You guys helped me through a tough time when we had to put our Boxer, Claribell, down and I wanted to share the good news about our new family member as well.  She obviously won't ever replace Clari.

Reba is a 2-1/2 year old Boxer girl we adopted from the Boxer rescue here in Wisconsin and she is just a lover of a dog, active but cuddly...and already crazy about the kids.  She has been screened by the foster parents for aggression, food guarding, how they get along with other animals, etc., and they are brought up to date on vaccines, given thorough vet checks and spayed/neutered if they aren't already.  Reba came out with a clean bill of health all the way around.  The rescue will  not place a dog who is aggressive, though they do work with them to try to work through it., but they put them through a lot of testing to make sure they are not naturally aggressive.

We went to meet her last week and fell instantly in love so we just waited for the Boxer rescue to approve the adoption which they did and the 'foster parents' brought her down to us today!  She is settling in well and adjusting to being spoiled rotten extremely well........though gives me a nudge to let me know I am neglecting my duties when I stop petting her for a couple of seconds or so...

Paula

P.S. Just a side note in case anyone is interested....almost every state has rescue places for most breeds of dogs, especially the more common ones...and they do screen them very carefully because they want the animals permanently placed...otherwise, they wind up back with them again.  I love getting an adult dog who is house trained, crate trained and has been socialized with kids and other dogs....all the time consuming stuff that I wouldn't have time to deal with in a puppy.  And I would much rather give a good home to an adult home and not encourage breeders to just keep cranking out puppies.  If nothing else, try to avoid 'backyard' breeders who have no idea what they are doing and pass on traits that the dogs wind up having to be euthanized for. 

Gettng off my soap box now...

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Thread
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42