Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Meet our newest family member...

Community Discussions

Search For:
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Meet our newest family member...
Original Message   Jan 30, 2005 12:03 am
You guys helped me through a tough time when we had to put our Boxer, Claribell, down and I wanted to share the good news about our new family member as well.  She obviously won't ever replace Clari.

Reba is a 2-1/2 year old Boxer girl we adopted from the Boxer rescue here in Wisconsin and she is just a lover of a dog, active but cuddly...and already crazy about the kids.  She has been screened by the foster parents for aggression, food guarding, how they get along with other animals, etc., and they are brought up to date on vaccines, given thorough vet checks and spayed/neutered if they aren't already.  Reba came out with a clean bill of health all the way around.  The rescue will  not place a dog who is aggressive, though they do work with them to try to work through it., but they put them through a lot of testing to make sure they are not naturally aggressive.

We went to meet her last week and fell instantly in love so we just waited for the Boxer rescue to approve the adoption which they did and the 'foster parents' brought her down to us today!  She is settling in well and adjusting to being spoiled rotten extremely well........though gives me a nudge to let me know I am neglecting my duties when I stop petting her for a couple of seconds or so...

Paula

P.S. Just a side note in case anyone is interested....almost every state has rescue places for most breeds of dogs, especially the more common ones...and they do screen them very carefully because they want the animals permanently placed...otherwise, they wind up back with them again.  I love getting an adult dog who is house trained, crate trained and has been socialized with kids and other dogs....all the time consuming stuff that I wouldn't have time to deal with in a puppy.  And I would much rather give a good home to an adult home and not encourage breeders to just keep cranking out puppies.  If nothing else, try to avoid 'backyard' breeders who have no idea what they are doing and pass on traits that the dogs wind up having to be euthanized for. 

Gettng off my soap box now...

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Paula

Re: Meet our newest family member...
Reply #6   Jan 30, 2005 11:40 am
Marty

It sounds like you might be familiar with the rescues? 

I've actually been watching this rescue site up in Green Bay on and off for about 3 years, knowing that with Clari having cancer we wouldn't have her as long as a healthy Boxer and had decided that we would get our next dog from rescue. 

I am thinking about possibly getting another older Boxer from the same rescue after Reba gets settled in for a while as she really seemed to enjoy having other Boxers to play with (had 2 older Boxers at the foster parents home) and I know that the older dogs are harder to place. 

Bill

Thank you.  Its always rough to lose a member of the family as I am sure you know.  What kind of Boxer was he, fawn or brindle? 

The Boxers are an awesome breed.....there is something I just love about their personalities....they have those facial expressions that make it seem that they are taking themselves, and life, very seriously and wouldn't even consider lowering their dignity to indulge in foolish play.....when in reality they are nothing but overgrown puppies at heart, always looking for someone to goof around with or a little mischief to get into...

They are so good with kids and very protective which I like....I couldn't even tickle my girls without Clari giving me flea bites (corncob nibbles) up the arms....and the louder the kids screamed when I was tickling them, the harder she would nibble until I was rolling on the floor laughing because it tickled so much!

Hopefully the 4 ganging up on 1 kicked some Dad butt   (tell them singing "We are the Champions" afterward is considered very appropriate...LOL). 

Paula

skyking3

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2005 3:27 pm
hi paula,

i dont know the difference between brindle and fawn.................

he was light colored brown with white chest , boots and down the center of his face.........

they do have the most comical expressions.............we lived in the country and i let him out one nite and after his usual 15 minute return , he hadn't come back...i went looking and found him .........someone had run off the road almost 15 feet into my property and hit him..........

i think i was a basket case for almost 3 days straight.........they found out it was a kid joyriding his moms car and had done it on purpose.......

good thing i couldnt get to him..............still hurts to talk about it now.......

now 'bout the 4 on 1...................they couldnt win , they tried to take me on 1 at a time.............maybe they'll be smarter next time , 'cause for now ............i'm king of this hill..................

Paula

Reply #8   Jan 30, 2005 5:35 pm
Bill

I had tears in my eyes when I read your post....I cannot fathom anyone purposely hurting a dog or cat and think people like that are a waste of oxygen. 

It sounds like you had a fawn....which is the solid color, usually a light brown or tan, though they have some white markings too.  Reba and Clari are both brindle which is almost like tiger striping, usually with the brown and the black though some seem to have a gorgeous "irish setter red" mixed in but again with some white markings.

You enjoy that King of the HIll status while you can.  It won't take them long to figure out that "United We Stand" knocks Dad on his butt!  LOL  My 10 year old daughter is almost as tall as I am and is pretty darned solid....and I already am working hard to be able to make her say "Uncle" (or my personal favorite ..."My mommy is the best, sweetest, prettiest and most wonderfulest mommy in the whole wide world")..

Paula

navihawk

Reply #9   Jan 31, 2005 7:10 am
Hi Paula....good luck with your new family member.We had a boxer when I was a mere infant.I was told she had strong mothering instincts toward me.As for your new dog not being able to replace your other one,Just wait a few yearsand you will think differently.I had a Border terrier that I thought could never be replaceed.(she was an older dog from a breeder that wanted her placed.Border terriers have quite the personality.Well I rescued a pup at baypath humane society,Half husky,half border collie.She was a handful for a few years,but now is an intelligent member of the family.Dog lovers live longer  or have better health than other people.

Steve

Termy

Reply #10   Jan 31, 2005 10:21 am
I am glad you got a new member of the family Paula. We all go through hard times in our life, and it would be a mistake not to move on. Congradulations, and live long and prosper
This message was modified Jan 31, 2005 by Termy

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #11   Jan 31, 2005 4:49 pm
Paula...

Happy for all of you !  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Paula

Reply #12   Jan 31, 2005 7:19 pm
Steve

I only meant that they each have their own individual personality.  Reba is going to be a very important member of our family just as Clari was....its just that they are very different dogs.

And how could dog lovers not live longer?!  Anytime you can give and receive love, that has to be good for your health! 

Thanks Termie (felt like I was in a Star Trek there for a minute though..."Live long and prosper"....

Dave

Thanks much!  We're taking turns spoiling her...

Paula

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #13   Jan 31, 2005 9:59 pm

Good for you Paula. Great looking dog.

Good luck with your 'K9" selection,  both in life and the superbowl pool.

Four girls in one house!!! Gawd that has got to be too much.  Must be an ordnance against that in your state.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Paula

Reply #14   Jan 31, 2005 10:36 pm
Highwind

Thanks.  She is a wonderful addition to our family. 

Yeah....its a riot...we sit around and talk and joke about the guys....and Reba has funniest stories of all four of us!     JK!

Paula

This message was modified Feb 1, 2005 by Paula
Blue9R

Reply #15   Feb 1, 2005 10:53 am
Paula,

Reba is a fine look'n lady and very fortunate to be the newest member of your family.

Good choice & Hope all goes well!

Blue

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42