Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > It has to be done right away...

Community Discussions

Search For:
MissSnowshoveler

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?

It has to be done right away...
Original Message   Jun 22, 2005 7:18 am
Okay, a lot of you know that I work in a small engine repair shop.  This kind of leans towards OPE, but in general all kinds of things that need to be repaired.

Question:     A person calls repair shop (electronics, small engine, vehicle etc...) says they need the whatever repaired right away, yesterday if fact.  They proceed to call every hour on the hour until you can say the thing is done.  Then doesn't show up for weeks to pick up this thing they needed right away, what does the repair shop do? 

Sherri

If you don't have free speech, what do you have?
Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: It has to be done right away...
Reply #3   Jun 22, 2005 2:40 pm
If you have told them numerous times, and you don't have the address, but the phone number, then call them and tell them their equipment will be sold in 10 days.  I would put a sign up from now on, "after 20 days we charge a storage fee for items not received, then  after 45 days we are subject to possess them."  Something like that.     
Is that something you'd be interested in doing?

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #4   Jun 22, 2005 2:40 pm
Ask an attorny. I think you can sell them after a period of time as long as you do some required things like posting etc. Maybe not?
buttlint

Reply #5   Jun 22, 2005 2:58 pm
Sherri,
Big, fat deposits when they bring them in helps. Get enough too cover at least the cost of the mechanics time and parts.
If the machine turns out too be junk (Cost of repair exceeds value of new.) Then at least you get them too come back too pick up thier deposit money and make the decision on what they want done with it. (Take it or toss it.)
Some people get indignant about it.....and insist that you already have thier valuable property as collateral. (Remind them that a lawnmower store doesnt need another lawnmower.) Show them your junkpile behind the shop.
When we get the "gotta have it guy", my people up front know that they have too check with me before they do anything. I run a service history check on my computer in the shop. We keep pretty tight records and notes on our customers. We have a special code for certain situations. The "PIA" code tells me that we have someone special up front. I send those customers down the road too a competitor. (Our competitors do the same...so there is no net loss of customer base.)
Have the clause on the work order....."If not picked up in 30 days, the machine gets put into a big crusher on day 31." We make them sign it. That motivates some.
If they still dont "get it"......Get Chris a big ol' bottle Screech and goad him into making some nasty phone calls late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. You should see a line up at the store on Monday morning.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #6   Jun 22, 2005 8:29 pm
Hi...

Good advice...

As Marshall says... find out what's "legal" first... "deadbeats" usually know the ropes... then do the proper "incentives"...

Dave...

This message was modified Jun 22, 2005 by Dave___in___CT

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 3 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42