Abby's Guide to Community
Username Password
Discussions More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Community > Discussions > Back at Home... Still Job Searching... Still here !

Community Discussions

Search For:
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Back at Home... Still Job Searching... Still here !
Original Message   Apr 9, 2005 5:40 pm
Hi folks...

Haven't been here for several weeks... just startin' to re-visit... I apologize... and "thank you" to the other moderators for their understanding and support... !

Not that 'yall missed much without me here... I missed these forums... and especially you folks !

Victum of corporate cutback 11/31/05... 21 years of service...       Thanks...  You're gone !          LOL !

Worked on a short term computer consulting contract in Maine 02/05-03/05... lotsa' snow storms !   Primary reason for my abscence here... Back home now...   Sure beats a motel room !

New computer.. just got it on the internet today... ahhhhh... !

Have one local full-time and one local consulting possibility now... hope either / both come thru !   1st time unemployed since I was 13 or so... A new experience for sure !

Job searching takes a lottsa'  my time... unemployed... but sure busy !

Nice being back !

Dave... ( in CT  ! )

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vangellis

Dream more easy in the chair that really fits you.

Re: Back at Home... Still Job Searching... Still here !
Reply #2   Apr 9, 2005 8:01 pm
     Hi Dave. I've been there. My background is in Production and Inventory Control. First company I worked for after college had cut backs in 1986. After 8 1/2 years...gone. Off for 4 months and landed a good job with another manufacturing company. After a little over 5 years there......gone. Seemed middle management always got the brunt of the cutbacks. After being off for about 4 months and no prospects insight, my wife had a novel idea. She would return to work as a medical technologist, as the lab she had left to stay home with the kids was begging her to come back, and I would be Mr. Mom. First thought was, great, I could handle this for a year or two. Well, that turned into 6 years.  LOL  Great experience. My wife was adamant from the start that we were going to raise our kids and not a day care. Money was tight and we did without some things, but if we had to do it again, we would. In 1998 I decided to go back to work, looking for a 3rd shift job, so at least I would be home during the day. I'm now a warehouse supervisor for the best company I'll probably ever work for. They treat all of the employees fairly and upper management has stood behind me during some difficult times. I'm grateful to be working there.
Even after 6 1/2 years on 3rd shift I still haven't quite got the sleep thing down though.  LOL 
     Anyway, keep the faith. Better things are waiting down the road for you. When life flips ya the bone, make soup with it.
                                                                                                                   Good luck,     Kevin

Simplicity Conquest
mrmom

Reply #3   Apr 9, 2005 9:48 pm
Welcome back Dave!

Glad to see that you haven't forgotten us.

Been mrmom now for a while. It's a lot of work. No pay. No sick calls. No holidays. No paid vacation. No benefits. Wonder what my credit rating's like?

But it's great to be there seeing the kids grow as well as to be there for them.

Keep the faith!

Emmo

Reply #4   Apr 9, 2005 10:07 pm
mrmom wrote:

Wonder what my credit rating's like?

LOL!

I was wondering the same thing.  Being with out a job for as long as I have, I thought mine would be pretty crappy.

We bought and new house last year and we got a copy of our credit report.  Apparantly, as long as you pay your bills and don't open any new credit while unemployed your history doesn't get updated much. (At least in my case).

It showed that I was still employed by the company I left in 1997 and that I still had a good FICA score! 

Welcome back Dave, we all missed you.  Hang in there with the job hunt, I'm sure good things are just around the bend!
This message was modified Apr 9, 2005 by Emmo
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #5   Apr 9, 2005 11:32 pm
Dave, I already know things will turn out well for you, they have to for a guy like you. 
Paula

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet,
enough trials to make you strong,
enough sorrow to keep you human and
enough hope to make you happy.

Reply #6   Apr 10, 2005 9:25 am

Dave

Have you tried Monsterjob.com ?  Have you thought about going with a head hunter?  They are supposed to be very good at matching people with jobs.  Again, with your positive attitude and smarts, any company would be lucky to have you (and you can tell them I said so... ).

Kevin, Mr. Mom and Emmo

I think its so neat that you guys put your kids as #1 priority....not always an easy decision.   I felt the same way about my daughters....I didn't want someone else raising them.  Financially, we couldn't afford the 1 income so I found a job working at home.  It wasn't easy and it wasn't a job that I especially enjoyed but being able to be home with my daughters more than made up for it.  The girls and I were able to spend almost every day in the summer at the beach, I was able to make snowman in the winter with them whenever we wanted, etc.  Small things but priceless and I don't ever regret my decision.  I can't imagine when I am 90 and looking back at my life thinking..."Gee, I wish I had spent more time at my job."

Paula

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Apr 10, 2005 10:00 am
Thanks folks... and thanks for sharing...

I know everything is and will be OK... I stay positive... and look for the best in most everything...

Paula...

Resume is on Monster.com and three other job sites... a few recruiters contact me every week... about 100 so far that I've kept track of... it's "interesting" to say the least !

Reagrds,

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #8   Apr 10, 2005 1:13 pm
Dave,

Keep those spirits high! With your attitude you should find a job soon.

Paula,

You said,
"I was able to make snowman in the winter...".

Does this mean your dating activity drops to zero in the summer, when all your potential dates disappear in a pool of melt water?
And you thought you were such hot stuff, I bet. Sorry to let you down but it is an environmental condition that turns them to mush.

Sorry, I had too much coffee today and my mind is caffeine wound up, so I couldn't resist.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Paula

Reply #9   Apr 10, 2005 1:23 pm
Highwind

Yeah...I like to date men that at least start out with the potential for substance.... versus guys that start out as, and end up as, nothing but hot air....

Paula

Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #10   Apr 10, 2005 4:18 pm
Paula wrote:
Highwind

Yeah...I like to date men that at least start out with the potential for substance.... versus guys that start out as, and end up as, nothing but hot air....

Paula

Gee Paula, your kind words just make me blush...

You'd be such an irresistable sweetheart if only:

a. you were irresistable;

b. you were a sweetheart; and

c. you had a heart.

That was a very good comeback on your part. I like it.   

I see I'll have to try harder to trump your posts.

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Paula

Reply #11   Apr 10, 2005 7:05 pm
Highwind

I never promised you a roooose gardennnn...   

Too bad my sharp wit is a thorn in your (back) side....  (ha..ha...beat you to the thorn jokes...)

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Community Guide   •   Discussions  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42