Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Hoover Z . . .
Original Message   Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm
The Hoover Z was certainly not a great idea but at least looked like it might be.  It's main failing for all its feature is the rather small mesh filter between the dust bin and the self-cleaning filter.  It can become clogged relatively quickly and bring about a noticable drop-off of its already lackluster suction.  The compartmentalized dust collection set-up -- a compartment for incoming dirt and another for dust shed by the rotating filter -- also does no lend to easy emptying. However, that's all old news.

I visited a Home Depot in lower Manhattan about two days ago and was surprised to find the "Z" still for sale -- for $50.00.  After all this time, this isn't flattering.  It may not be good business, but I wonder why Hoover just didn't do a recall.  After all we're talking about a vacuum that hit the market at around $500 or more and that has been allowed to hang around on shelves as its price has plummeted down to ten-percent of what it was initially.  Of course a recall would have meant a loss to Hoover but might have meant saving face regarding this particular item.  This also might not have been possible due to plans for the company's changing of hands.

Though I hate the fixed prices some manufacturers demand their vacuums must be sold for, I must admit there may be some point to the practice regarding the maintenance of supposed value.

Venson

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
CarmineD

Re: Hoover Z . . .
Reply #18   May 20, 2009 12:23 pm
Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Here are the details:

HOOVER Z 400 is model U9125-900; the HOOVER Z 700 is model U9145-900

The diffs are:

Z 700 has everything the Z 400 PLUS:

• gentle brush setting;
  • pet hair cleaning tool;
  • lifetime LED headlights;
  • 16 inch wand and 14 inch floor brush;
  • 35 foot cord vice 31 for the Z 400.

Hope that assists you in your decision making.

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #19   May 20, 2009 12:57 pm
I don't care about the gentle brush setting or the pet hair tool (never liked turbo tools anyway) but I do want headlights and bare floor tool.  Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to win the 400.... I guess I can get an aftermarket floor tool and wand and just go without the LED lights.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #20   May 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I don't care about the gentle brush setting or the pet hair tool (never liked turbo tools anyway) but I do want headlights and bare floor tool.  Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to win the 400.... I guess I can get an aftermarket floor tool and wand and just go without the LED lights.

VacuumFreeke,
There are online companies that place eBay bids on your behalf ...  their computers place your bid moments (seconds) before the end of auction.  The upside to this arrangement is to keep a bidding war from taking the price up and you can remove your bid before set scheduled bid time, etc.

Google "snipe" and "eBay" and you'll see lots of info.  I use AuctionSniper.
This message was modified May 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #21   May 20, 2009 8:18 pm
Thanks for the info about the auction sniper... that may be helpful to me in the future.  I won the Z 400 for 42 bucks...  I'm excited to have it as a novelty, but wish it was the 700 instead....
CarmineD

Reply #22   May 21, 2009 7:12 am
Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Excellent price.  Will probably need a good going over since these models are approaching 2-3 years old now.  Easy to do and well worth the time/effort.  Enjoy your new [old] "Z."

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #23   May 21, 2009 10:36 am
Carmine... I know that the belt and filter are supposed to be lifetime.... what should I do to it when I get it?  I always clean the scuff marks off and wax and spray Lysol all over a machine when I get one used....  I'll report back and let you know what I think of its performance.
CarmineD

Reply #24   May 21, 2009 1:45 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Carmine... I know that the belt and filter are supposed to be lifetime.... what should I do to it when I get it?  I always clean the scuff marks off and wax and spray Lysol all over a machine when I get one used....  I'll report back and let you know what I think of its performance.

Hello Bobby:

What should/needs to be done depends on the performance and condition.  The lifetime HEPA, while it is self-cleaning every 6 seconds, may/should be removed and throroughly vacuumed and cleaned and reinstalled.  You may/should remove the motor housing for the post motor filter.  This is a charcoal gray fibrous filter.  It should still be clean, almost pristine.  But check it and if it needs cleaning, do so.  Brush and vacuum.  The motor on the Z has a plastic shroud which keeps it clean and dirt free.  Excellent feature which HOOVER copied from the EUREKA bagless uprights.  

Of course the screen mesh that is atop of the dirt bin.  Vacuum the screen and the bin clean. 

The agitator may/should be cleaned of any hair, rug wrap and dirt.  Might even have to remove and inspect for ease of revolving.  Despite what retailers initially said about the Z, it is not HOOVER WT technology.  But, the agitator is wood, large, with excellent tufts for rug cleaning and grooming.

There are points on the Z where dust packs [clogs] are likely.  One place is the rear where the rubber port is accessible for the purpose of unclogging.  This port cover should be tightly closed at all times except to inspect and clean/clear the opening.  Another point is the opening from the agitator housing into the vacuum.  If suction is weak, this may be the cause.  Easy to clear and clean once it is taken apart.  ANd easy to take apart.  Just alot of screws to undo.  The hood completely separates from the bottom of the vacuum for easy cleaning and inspection of all the working parts for rug pick-up.

Inspect the lifetime belt.  Make sure it is intact, no nicks, cuts, and wears.

Check the cord too.  Wrap correctly so the cover will close correctly and securely.  During use, ensure the cover is closed properly so it doesn't swing open/close.  Not a good feature for this style of vacuum.

The electronic digi-touch control pad should be fine but run them through the tests to make sure.

If you have any questions, post here/email me privately.  A happy to assist.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   May 21, 2009 1:56 pm
PS:  As always, whenever you take something new apart for the first time, proceed slowly.  Observe, picture in your mind the operation set-up and proceed to undo.  There are one/more small springs used to control the lifting/lowering of the brush nozzle housing.  These are sensitive and fragile and installed in a certain manner.  Note their operation and installation for disassembly/reassembly.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #26   May 22, 2009 12:45 am
389.00 at the vac shop i work at....been that price for over 2 years now....showed it 3 times i think...that thing will never get sold. the owner said its the only one he bought and has shown it once.....i think this christmas ill decorate it like a tree...might as well use it for somthng.
CarmineD

Reply #27   May 22, 2009 7:07 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
389.00 at the vac shop i work at....been that price for over 2 years now....showed it 3 times i think...that thing will never get sold. the owner said its the only one he bought and has shown it once.....i think this christmas ill decorate it like a tree...might as well use it for somthng.

Hello retardturtle1:

Great idea to decorate the Z for Christmas.  If it's the Z400 [white], your price is higher than the HOOVER Web site price.  If it's the Z700 [green], the price is correct.  This would not be one to make the short list of my all time favorites, but certainly it does peform well for those inclined to use/abuse.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42