Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Hoover Z . . .
Original Message   Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm
The Hoover Z was certainly not a great idea but at least looked like it might be.  It's main failing for all its feature is the rather small mesh filter between the dust bin and the self-cleaning filter.  It can become clogged relatively quickly and bring about a noticable drop-off of its already lackluster suction.  The compartmentalized dust collection set-up -- a compartment for incoming dirt and another for dust shed by the rotating filter -- also does no lend to easy emptying. However, that's all old news.

I visited a Home Depot in lower Manhattan about two days ago and was surprised to find the "Z" still for sale -- for $50.00.  After all this time, this isn't flattering.  It may not be good business, but I wonder why Hoover just didn't do a recall.  After all we're talking about a vacuum that hit the market at around $500 or more and that has been allowed to hang around on shelves as its price has plummeted down to ten-percent of what it was initially.  Of course a recall would have meant a loss to Hoover but might have meant saving face regarding this particular item.  This also might not have been possible due to plans for the company's changing of hands.

Though I hate the fixed prices some manufacturers demand their vacuums must be sold for, I must admit there may be some point to the practice regarding the maintenance of supposed value.

Venson

Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Venson

Re: Hoover Z . . .
Reply #8   Apr 18, 2009 9:32 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Seems people are never satisfied with what they have even if free.

Carmine D.

Good morning Carmine,

From what I've seen, folks are usually more appreciative of and more careful with what they have to pay for themselves and I have learned not to deny them the privilege.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #9   Apr 18, 2009 2:10 pm
Venson wrote:
Good morning Carmine,

From what I've seen, folks are usually more appreciative of and more careful with what they have to pay for themselves and I have learned not to deny them the privilege.

Venson

Very true. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #10   May 4, 2009 9:02 pm
I would like to add one to my collection just because they are so unique... but don't want to spend more than 50 dollars for one used.  I tried them out at Snears and thought they looked cool... I didn't like how far one had to reach for the switch, the self cleaning filter, or the door for the tool and cord, but still they are neat looking!
Venson

Reply #11   May 5, 2009 8:07 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I would like to add one to my collection just because they are so unique... but don't want to spend more than 50 dollars for one used.  I tried them out at Snears and thought they looked cool... I didn't like how far one had to reach for the switch, the self cleaning filter, or the door for the tool and cord, but still they are neat looking!

Hi VF,

The Z's a ways down the line since its manufacture ended. I think your best bet is to set up a search alert on eBay and maybe one in good condition will turn up. There's one up today as a "buy-it-now/best offer". It is not in pristine condition and thus I see the seller's price as overly ambitious. Probaly not likely but as you never know, you might want to check out a Home Depot here and there.

After taking a look discovered only one online vendor that has Zs in stock. It too has gone a a little nuys with the price -- $500 for the Z-700 and $400 for the Z-400. I wasn't aware of it but the primary filter can be had for $50 to $60.

Best,

Venson
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #12   May 5, 2009 12:46 pm
i offered that guy 50 dollars on best offer and the seller declined.  That's fine... he can keep it... no one else is buying it.  I'll find a more appropriate deal when the time is right!
mole

Reply #13   May 5, 2009 1:07 pm
The shipping is more than what the machine is worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #14   May 5, 2009 5:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi VF,

The Z's a ways down the line since its manufacture ended. I think your best bet is to set up a search alert on eBay and maybe one in good condition will turn up. There's one up today as a "buy-it-now/best offer". It is not in pristine condition and thus I see the seller's price as overly ambitious. Probaly not likely but as you never know, you might want to check out a Home Depot here and there.

After taking a look discovered only one online vendor that has Zs in stock. It too has gone a a little nuys with the price -- $500 for the Z-700 and $400 for the Z-400. I wasn't aware of it but the primary filter can be had for $50 to $60.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson et al:

HOOVER/TTI Web Site has the Z400 and Z900 in stock and new with 2 year warranty for $289 and $365 respectively.  Down from MSRP but a far cry from discontinued and cheap.  Ironically, reviewers give it 4 of 5 stars.  Not the least bit surprised.  It has its fans just like all vacuums.  Easy to work on.  Does and excellent job on floors and rugs and has some neat features for the prices. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #15   May 5, 2009 7:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It has its fans just like all vacuums.  Easy to work on. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

How do you get at the primary filter? That to me is the biggest issue. To the best of my recall, Hoover placed no instructions for this in the cleaner's manual leaving me to assume that it requires a visit to an authorized repair person. I really felt it should have been more accessible for removal and replacement by users.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 5, 2009 9:14 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

How do you get at the primary filter? That to me is the biggest issue. To the best of my recall, Hoover placed no instructions for this in the cleaner's manual leaving me to assume that it requires a visit to an authorized repair person. I really felt it should have been more accessible for removal and replacement by users.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

The self-cleaning pre-motor filter is accessible with the removal of 5-6 cover screws.  It's easy to clean and re-install/replace.  The post motor filter is also easy to access with just a turn/twist off of the filter cover. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #17   May 20, 2009 9:33 am
Hey guys... I just bid on one on Ebay, but I bid on the z 400 instead of the 900 and then I realized that the 400 doesn't have a headlight or a bare floor tool.... I hope I don't win it!  I should have done more research first. 
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42