Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

Hoover Z . . .
Original Message   Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm
The Hoover Z was certainly not a great idea but at least looked like it might be.  It's main failing for all its feature is the rather small mesh filter between the dust bin and the self-cleaning filter.  It can become clogged relatively quickly and bring about a noticable drop-off of its already lackluster suction.  The compartmentalized dust collection set-up -- a compartment for incoming dirt and another for dust shed by the rotating filter -- also does no lend to easy emptying. However, that's all old news.

I visited a Home Depot in lower Manhattan about two days ago and was surprised to find the "Z" still for sale -- for $50.00.  After all this time, this isn't flattering.  It may not be good business, but I wonder why Hoover just didn't do a recall.  After all we're talking about a vacuum that hit the market at around $500 or more and that has been allowed to hang around on shelves as its price has plummeted down to ten-percent of what it was initially.  Of course a recall would have meant a loss to Hoover but might have meant saving face regarding this particular item.  This also might not have been possible due to plans for the company's changing of hands.

Though I hate the fixed prices some manufacturers demand their vacuums must be sold for, I must admit there may be some point to the practice regarding the maintenance of supposed value.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
mole

Re: Hoover Z . . .
Reply #1   Feb 11, 2008 9:47 am
Hi Venson, The Z, was hoovers bid at the high end upright market. The box stores cant sell vacuums for that kind of money,reminds me what halo's going through right now.

The dyson was just good timing,it's getting tuff now. There are some pretty nice deals out there now,you know the saying money talks,bull$$$$ walks.

There are a lot of desperate dealers out there.

MOLE

Motorhead

Reply #2   Feb 12, 2008 3:30 pm
I have one of those (Z400) and had no idea they were still around in stores...I remember when the Z400s were on sale at my local Home Depot a year ago for $99 and I was waiting for the price to drop to $50 after hearing rumors about it.  It never did, the Z just disappeared there.  Luckily I came across one later as I had been wanting one as a future collectible.

When the filter is clean, the Z is really not a bad cleaner on carpets, and it is fun to use since it's such an oddball machine.  You can feel the brushroll pulling it across the rug, and for something as heavy as the Z, that's quite an accomplishment.  It's not badly made, either, and the touch control with electric height adjustment and "soft start" was a great idea.

The main problem with the Z, and why it didn't turn out to be a success (at least to me), is because it's so darn big.  Have you ever seen one in person, out of the box, in the upright position with the telescoping handle fully extended?  The sheer size (both weight-wise and height-wise) rivals even some commercial uprights, and it weighs 28 pounds.  I can't even begin to imagine a 100-pound housewife trying to schlep that monstrosity up the stairs.  Sure, it's a neat cleaner, but from that standpoint, it was just not practical for everyday use.

What the Z will be, in the future, is a highly sought-after vacuum for the next generation of collectors.  Especially the TOL Z700.  Those are hard to come across even today.
Venson

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2008 5:49 pm
Motorhead, you've sold me. I've already got one so maybe I'll go get a couple more and put cushions on 'em when they're folded down so campany can have a place to sit.

Venson

This message was modified Feb 12, 2008 by Venson
CarmineD

Reply #4   Apr 17, 2009 7:46 am
As I posted here, I gifted a HOOVER Z 400 to a local Church in October 2007.  It is used daily by as many as a dozen adults, students mostly teen age, an office staff of 6-9, a maintenence supervisor and custodian.  The "Church" consists of a Worship Area that holds 1200, offices with a staff of a 6-9 employees including the pastor, and a number of classrooms for the children and adults in religious training.  The HOOVER Z was used in the Spring of 2008 for a refurb of the Worship Area [painting/new floor/new lights, etc].  The building is 10 years old.  Rugs are in all the offices and classrooms.  And, rugs [inside and outside] are at the door entrances of the building and all the doors to the Worship Area, which is an imbedded room within the building.  The remaining flooring surfaces are hardcovered.

Also, a second vacuum is used which is usually donated by a parishioner.  In this case, a EUREKA BOSS SMART Vac upright.  There are several indoor/outdoor and wet/dry vacuums too.

After Holy Week and Easter, the custodian told me the HOOVER Z400 and EUREKA were not working well.  So I had a look.  The EUREKA is jammed.  The HOOVER, while working [agitator revolving], is shooting dirt out.  I took the HOOVER Z for repair much to the chagrin of the maintenance supervisor who likes and uses the HOOVER Z as his vacuum of choice.  He's worked for the Church for 4 years.  So, I provided a HOOVER WT Supreme and HOOVER TEMPO for use in the meantime while the vacuums are down.

I gave the HOOVER Z a quick inspection.  Looks like the gasket on the dirt bin was removed.  May be the reason for the dirt spewing.  Overall, it appears that cleaning the filter, perhaps replacing, and an agitator cleaning [hair wrap] may be all that's needed.  Probably a weekend repair job and returned next week to the custodian/maintanance supervisor and back in service.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #5   Apr 17, 2009 1:03 pm
CarmineD wrote:
. . . I gave the HOOVER Z a quick inspection.  Looks like the gasket on the dirt bin was removed.  May be the reason for the dirt spewing.  Overall, it appears that cleaning the filter, perhaps replacing, and an agitator cleaning [hair wrap] may be all that's needed.  Probably a weekend repair job and returned next week to the custodian/maintanance supervisor and back in service.

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

I had decided to leave mine behind at our old space when the office moved last year but my, as usual, greedy boss did the expected and had it brought along to the new digs without consulting with me. Somehow it fell into the hands of the owner of the business we were renting space from and was ready for the trash heap in less than a day. Even though bought for merely 50-bucks I'd have preferred not to witness its death. (This is one of the reasons I have stopped giving vacuums to people.)

A major failing of the Z, as I see it, is that the self-cleaning filter is not average user maintainable. It requires a vacuum repair person who knows how to handle the job. If we're talking the gasket with the mesh screen that was an important component as as one part of the collection bin is deliberately isolated to collect only dust that falls off the revolving filter. It take it the body, etc., are still in good shape. How clean is the HEPA that's next to the motor?

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #6   Apr 17, 2009 4:13 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

I had decided to leave mine behind at our old space when the office moved last year but my, as usual, greedy boss did the expected and had it brought along to the new digs without consulting with me. Somehow it fell into the hands of the owner of the business we were renting space from and was ready for the trash heap in less than a day. Even though bought for merely 50-bucks I'd have preferred not to witness its death. (This is one of the reasons I have stopped giving vacuums to people.)

A major failing of the Z, as I see it, is that the self-cleaning filter is not average user maintainable. It requires a vacuum repair person who knows how to handle the job. If we're talking the gasket with the mesh screen that was an important component as as one part of the collection bin is deliberately isolated to collect only dust that falls off the revolving filter. It take it the body, etc., are still in good shape. How clean is the HEPA that's next to the motor?

Venson

Hi Venson:

I'ver repaired and returned the HOOVER Z400.  It is as good as new.  Dustpack in the nozzle opening behind the agitator.  Had to remove 4 screws and the soleplate to remove the dustpack.  It was caused by a nail and Christmas tree needles that packed up.  Several things impressed me in the repair.  One WRT your question.  The HEPA exhaust filter, after over 18 months of commercial use, is still pristine.  No doubt in large part due to the plastic shroud that surrounds the motor.

Next, the pre-motor filter, despite the repeated cleat cleaning, is intact.  No wear at the pressure points from constant cleaning.  I cleaned the old filter and reinstalled.  The chamber behind the pre-motor filter was amazing clean despite the usage.  Tho I don't care for the self-cleaning cleat mechanism, the filter size is not smallish as some may think/say.  Quite the contrary once removed and examined.  I'd prefer a teflon coated filter so as to be washable.

The underside of the vacuum with the brush motor and belt was amazingly clean.  The belt still very good and I could not stop the revolving by applying pressure.  Some hairwrap on the agitator was removed quickly by using a wire brush while the agitator brush revolves. 

I don't like the cord/tool cover.  It tends to flop open/closed while in use.  And, constantly needs to be closed and locked. 

Not worth the original MSRP.  Probably a $250 seller at best.  I especially like the slow start and the finger tip electronic controls for low/medium/high and barefloors.  Excellent feature. 

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #7   Apr 18, 2009 7:58 am
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

Venson

Hi Venson:

I left the first HOOVER Z400 I bought from BEST BUY at my house in Virginia, so the realtor had a vacuum to use to keep the house in showroom condition.  I suspect the new home owners got it, tho I understand the house went into foreclosure recently and is now owned/for sale by the bank.

I'll add another reason for not gifting vacuums [besides the Shakespearian quote neither a lender nor a borrower be].  Seems the Maintenance Supervisor and custodian at the Church are petitioning the pastor for Commercial grade vacuums.  Domestic are not good enough.  The Custodian wants a back pack vacuum.  The Maintenance supervisor wants an upright Commercial, no tools on board.  Hence, my scoping out the EUREKA/ELECTROLUX Sanitaire at Sam's Club. 

Seems people are never satisfied with what they have even if free.

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #8   Apr 18, 2009 9:32 am
CarmineD wrote:
. . . Seems people are never satisfied with what they have even if free.

Carmine D.

Good morning Carmine,

From what I've seen, folks are usually more appreciative of and more careful with what they have to pay for themselves and I have learned not to deny them the privilege.

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #9   Apr 18, 2009 2:10 pm
Venson wrote:
Good morning Carmine,

From what I've seen, folks are usually more appreciative of and more careful with what they have to pay for themselves and I have learned not to deny them the privilege.

Venson

Very true. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #10   May 4, 2009 9:02 pm
I would like to add one to my collection just because they are so unique... but don't want to spend more than 50 dollars for one used.  I tried them out at Snears and thought they looked cool... I didn't like how far one had to reach for the switch, the self cleaning filter, or the door for the tool and cord, but still they are neat looking!
Venson

Reply #11   May 5, 2009 8:07 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I would like to add one to my collection just because they are so unique... but don't want to spend more than 50 dollars for one used.  I tried them out at Snears and thought they looked cool... I didn't like how far one had to reach for the switch, the self cleaning filter, or the door for the tool and cord, but still they are neat looking!

Hi VF,

The Z's a ways down the line since its manufacture ended. I think your best bet is to set up a search alert on eBay and maybe one in good condition will turn up. There's one up today as a "buy-it-now/best offer". It is not in pristine condition and thus I see the seller's price as overly ambitious. Probaly not likely but as you never know, you might want to check out a Home Depot here and there.

After taking a look discovered only one online vendor that has Zs in stock. It too has gone a a little nuys with the price -- $500 for the Z-700 and $400 for the Z-400. I wasn't aware of it but the primary filter can be had for $50 to $60.

Best,

Venson
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #12   May 5, 2009 12:46 pm
i offered that guy 50 dollars on best offer and the seller declined.  That's fine... he can keep it... no one else is buying it.  I'll find a more appropriate deal when the time is right!
mole

Reply #13   May 5, 2009 1:07 pm
The shipping is more than what the machine is worth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

regards

MOLE

CarmineD

Reply #14   May 5, 2009 5:06 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi VF,

The Z's a ways down the line since its manufacture ended. I think your best bet is to set up a search alert on eBay and maybe one in good condition will turn up. There's one up today as a "buy-it-now/best offer". It is not in pristine condition and thus I see the seller's price as overly ambitious. Probaly not likely but as you never know, you might want to check out a Home Depot here and there.

After taking a look discovered only one online vendor that has Zs in stock. It too has gone a a little nuys with the price -- $500 for the Z-700 and $400 for the Z-400. I wasn't aware of it but the primary filter can be had for $50 to $60.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson et al:

HOOVER/TTI Web Site has the Z400 and Z900 in stock and new with 2 year warranty for $289 and $365 respectively.  Down from MSRP but a far cry from discontinued and cheap.  Ironically, reviewers give it 4 of 5 stars.  Not the least bit surprised.  It has its fans just like all vacuums.  Easy to work on.  Does and excellent job on floors and rugs and has some neat features for the prices. 

Carmine D.

Venson

Reply #15   May 5, 2009 7:31 pm
CarmineD wrote:
It has its fans just like all vacuums.  Easy to work on. 

Carmine D.

Hi Carmine,

How do you get at the primary filter? That to me is the biggest issue. To the best of my recall, Hoover placed no instructions for this in the cleaner's manual leaving me to assume that it requires a visit to an authorized repair person. I really felt it should have been more accessible for removal and replacement by users.

Best,

Venson
CarmineD

Reply #16   May 5, 2009 9:14 pm
Venson wrote:
Hi Carmine,

How do you get at the primary filter? That to me is the biggest issue. To the best of my recall, Hoover placed no instructions for this in the cleaner's manual leaving me to assume that it requires a visit to an authorized repair person. I really felt it should have been more accessible for removal and replacement by users.

Best,

Venson

Hi Venson:

The self-cleaning pre-motor filter is accessible with the removal of 5-6 cover screws.  It's easy to clean and re-install/replace.  The post motor filter is also easy to access with just a turn/twist off of the filter cover. 

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #17   May 20, 2009 9:33 am
Hey guys... I just bid on one on Ebay, but I bid on the z 400 instead of the 900 and then I realized that the 400 doesn't have a headlight or a bare floor tool.... I hope I don't win it!  I should have done more research first. 
CarmineD

Reply #18   May 20, 2009 12:23 pm
Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Here are the details:

HOOVER Z 400 is model U9125-900; the HOOVER Z 700 is model U9145-900

The diffs are:

Z 700 has everything the Z 400 PLUS:

• gentle brush setting;
  • pet hair cleaning tool;
  • lifetime LED headlights;
  • 16 inch wand and 14 inch floor brush;
  • 35 foot cord vice 31 for the Z 400.

Hope that assists you in your decision making.

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #19   May 20, 2009 12:57 pm
I don't care about the gentle brush setting or the pet hair tool (never liked turbo tools anyway) but I do want headlights and bare floor tool.  Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to win the 400.... I guess I can get an aftermarket floor tool and wand and just go without the LED lights.
DysonInventsBig

Reply #20   May 20, 2009 6:16 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
I don't care about the gentle brush setting or the pet hair tool (never liked turbo tools anyway) but I do want headlights and bare floor tool.  Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to win the 400.... I guess I can get an aftermarket floor tool and wand and just go without the LED lights.

VacuumFreeke,
There are online companies that place eBay bids on your behalf ...  their computers place your bid moments (seconds) before the end of auction.  The upside to this arrangement is to keep a bidding war from taking the price up and you can remove your bid before set scheduled bid time, etc.

Google "snipe" and "eBay" and you'll see lots of info.  I use AuctionSniper.
This message was modified May 20, 2009 by DysonInventsBig

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #21   May 20, 2009 8:18 pm
Thanks for the info about the auction sniper... that may be helpful to me in the future.  I won the Z 400 for 42 bucks...  I'm excited to have it as a novelty, but wish it was the 700 instead....
CarmineD

Reply #22   May 21, 2009 7:12 am
Hello Vacuumfreeeke:

Excellent price.  Will probably need a good going over since these models are approaching 2-3 years old now.  Easy to do and well worth the time/effort.  Enjoy your new [old] "Z."

Carmine D.

Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #23   May 21, 2009 10:36 am
Carmine... I know that the belt and filter are supposed to be lifetime.... what should I do to it when I get it?  I always clean the scuff marks off and wax and spray Lysol all over a machine when I get one used....  I'll report back and let you know what I think of its performance.
CarmineD

Reply #24   May 21, 2009 1:45 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Carmine... I know that the belt and filter are supposed to be lifetime.... what should I do to it when I get it?  I always clean the scuff marks off and wax and spray Lysol all over a machine when I get one used....  I'll report back and let you know what I think of its performance.

Hello Bobby:

What should/needs to be done depends on the performance and condition.  The lifetime HEPA, while it is self-cleaning every 6 seconds, may/should be removed and throroughly vacuumed and cleaned and reinstalled.  You may/should remove the motor housing for the post motor filter.  This is a charcoal gray fibrous filter.  It should still be clean, almost pristine.  But check it and if it needs cleaning, do so.  Brush and vacuum.  The motor on the Z has a plastic shroud which keeps it clean and dirt free.  Excellent feature which HOOVER copied from the EUREKA bagless uprights.  

Of course the screen mesh that is atop of the dirt bin.  Vacuum the screen and the bin clean. 

The agitator may/should be cleaned of any hair, rug wrap and dirt.  Might even have to remove and inspect for ease of revolving.  Despite what retailers initially said about the Z, it is not HOOVER WT technology.  But, the agitator is wood, large, with excellent tufts for rug cleaning and grooming.

There are points on the Z where dust packs [clogs] are likely.  One place is the rear where the rubber port is accessible for the purpose of unclogging.  This port cover should be tightly closed at all times except to inspect and clean/clear the opening.  Another point is the opening from the agitator housing into the vacuum.  If suction is weak, this may be the cause.  Easy to clear and clean once it is taken apart.  ANd easy to take apart.  Just alot of screws to undo.  The hood completely separates from the bottom of the vacuum for easy cleaning and inspection of all the working parts for rug pick-up.

Inspect the lifetime belt.  Make sure it is intact, no nicks, cuts, and wears.

Check the cord too.  Wrap correctly so the cover will close correctly and securely.  During use, ensure the cover is closed properly so it doesn't swing open/close.  Not a good feature for this style of vacuum.

The electronic digi-touch control pad should be fine but run them through the tests to make sure.

If you have any questions, post here/email me privately.  A happy to assist.

Carmine D.

CarmineD

Reply #25   May 21, 2009 1:56 pm
PS:  As always, whenever you take something new apart for the first time, proceed slowly.  Observe, picture in your mind the operation set-up and proceed to undo.  There are one/more small springs used to control the lifting/lowering of the brush nozzle housing.  These are sensitive and fragile and installed in a certain manner.  Note their operation and installation for disassembly/reassembly.

Carmine D.

retardturtle1

Reply #26   May 22, 2009 12:45 am
389.00 at the vac shop i work at....been that price for over 2 years now....showed it 3 times i think...that thing will never get sold. the owner said its the only one he bought and has shown it once.....i think this christmas ill decorate it like a tree...might as well use it for somthng.
CarmineD

Reply #27   May 22, 2009 7:07 am
retardturtle1 wrote:
389.00 at the vac shop i work at....been that price for over 2 years now....showed it 3 times i think...that thing will never get sold. the owner said its the only one he bought and has shown it once.....i think this christmas ill decorate it like a tree...might as well use it for somthng.

Hello retardturtle1:

Great idea to decorate the Z for Christmas.  If it's the Z400 [white], your price is higher than the HOOVER Web site price.  If it's the Z700 [green], the price is correct.  This would not be one to make the short list of my all time favorites, but certainly it does peform well for those inclined to use/abuse.

Carmine D. 

Replies: 1 - 27 of 27View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42