Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What is your favorite way to prevent snow from building up in the auger?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MtnMan

What is your favorite way to prevent snow from building up in the auger?
Original Message   Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm
With wet snow, the auger tends to get packed with snow.  I have found that spraying the auger and impeller with WD-40 before I get started helps immensely.  I've used cooking spray but it doesn't last as long as WD-40.

What other solutions do you use?

Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MtnMan

Re: What is your favorite way to prevent snow from building up in the auger?
Reply #3   Jan 21, 2010 2:24 pm
VERY interesting and intriguing replies...

I just looked up "impeller kit" and it looks like a good solution but for a different problem.  The chute and impeller do not clog, it is within the auger itself... the spaces between the auger blades fill with snow so that there is very little blade left to grab the snow.  It still clears snow, but not nearly as efficiently (as I'm sure you can imagine).  The impeller and chute are clear.  In fact, if I got that kit it would be throwing snow into my neighbor's yard!!

Regarding wax... what kind of do you use?  Ski wax? Is there a trick to applying it?

This message was modified Jan 21, 2010 by MtnMan
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2010 3:13 pm
Liquid floor wax (acryllic floor finish ) slathered on with a paint brush. I have been using this approach since the early 1960's. Think of what happens when water gets on a freshly "waxed" floor and then you step in the puddle. The best part is the application of two or three coats will last at least a season.

Marc  

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
iLikeOrange

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm
I just use Mothers Gold like on my autos. Buff in between multiple coats. Works great and my what a shine.

O

trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2010 3:51 pm
   For rusted chutes and output area, wire brushing and high gloss Rustoleum.   Done many chutes with before and after tests with very good results.  If the sanding is done well the coating lasts. 

I never tried the floor wax but think it would be good if it held up through multiple storms. 

One thing I though might be good was cross country ski wax but I'm not sure how well it would stay on.  How can you hot-wax a chute interior anyway?

Never had much luck with oils or waxes.  They seemed to go quickly. 

Tried strips of duct tape inside the chute which provided some slip but did not stay on well.  Too much of a pain to use for the benefit compared to paint.

Borat mentioned something months ago which might be good.  It was some sort of crazymat or sillymat which I think kids use for sliding down a hill.  He riveted to the inside of his chute and said it was very slippery.   Never saw any around here to try it out.

friiy

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2010 5:57 pm
    Talking about "slip-n-slide" stuff...   In aircraft use,   there is a type of thick,  adhesive back, vinyl roll material,   We place it on leading edges to retard the growth of ice and reduce pitting of the surface.  This stuff is  called "Erosion tape",   seams to hold on good at 520 mph at about -55 degrees F.   I will see if I can find a part number / manufacturer  on the stuff if you guys want to look into it...

Friiy

borat

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2010 7:02 pm
I have no snow sticking anywhere. Even wet snow doesn't stick enough to cause any effect on the efficiency of the machine. If it's real sticky, it will stick a bit to the side of the intake housing and maybe a bit will adhere to the gear case but that's about it. Never get enough of a build up to make a difference. As mentioned, the chute is lined with a piece of Krazy Karpet or whatever it's called now. That stuff is very durable. It's on it's third season now and looks like it has lots of life left in it yet. It's showing a bit of scuffing but that's to be expected with all the gravel and sand thats mixed in with the end of driveway deposit. It's a bit of work to make and install, but hey, if it lasts ten years or more and saves damage to the chute, it's worth it.
snowmachine

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2010 8:11 pm
This Sno Jet spray has worked fine for me.  

mikiewest

Reply #10   Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm
I wax the chute and the inside of the bucket.Then I use DuPont Teflon Snow and Ice Repellent and spray it all over the auger,impeller etc.
njal

Reply #11   Jan 21, 2010 10:56 pm
 I never heard of using floor wax before,sounds like a great idea.

Do you guys know whocarries  sno jet spray? I see it on ebay wondering if one can get locally?

Stll bone dry here in jersey :( 

snowmachine

Reply #12   Jan 21, 2010 11:08 pm
njal wrote:
 I never heard of using floor wax before,sounds like a great idea.

Do you guys know whocarries  sno jet spray? I see it on ebay wondering if one can get locally?

Stll bone dry here in jersey :( 

Got mine from Sears.

http://tinyurl.com/y9o4ekm
Replies: 3 - 12 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42