Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Does Dyson have a "Walmart" build?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
kristin6

Does Dyson have a "Walmart" build?
Original Message   Jan 4, 2013 5:47 pm
Any time I am about to buy a consumer appliance, I always do some research that tells me if the item may have an inferior build quality when sold at Walmart.  Its something to keep in mind when shopping in places like EBay, Amazon or Overstock for items...especially refurbs.   The model number will usually be slightly different when this is done, and I've at times found other retailers selling the lower quality item number on their shelves, even at higher prices. 

So I do see that Walmart has exclusive packaging for the Dyson Animal.  This is typically a tell tale sign.  I have not noticed if the model numbers are different though.  Does anyone here know if Dyson builds vacuums in a separate plant or assembly line when they are bound for the big W? 
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by kristin6
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
procare

Re: Does Dyson have a "Walmart" build?
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2013 8:07 pm
Kristin6,

As far as I know there is only one place they are built and that is Malaysia. If you have new carpet be aware that there are carpet manufacturers that will not warranty your carpet when using a Dyson. European carpets (rugs) are different than here. Prices at  Walmart are the same as anywhere else due to Mininum Advertised Pricing that Dyson set up on their products. A color might be the only difference. Problem with buying any product online or at Walmart, Target, K Mart or any other  big box store is getting service after the purchase.

Procare

kristin6

Reply #2   Jan 5, 2013 9:00 am
procare wrote:
Kristin6,

As far as I know there is only one place they are built and that is Malaysia. If you have new carpet be aware that there are carpet manufacturers that will not warranty your carpet when using a Dyson. European carpets (rugs) are different than here. Prices at  Walmart are the same as anywhere else due to Mininum Advertised Pricing that Dyson set up on their products. A color might be the only difference. Problem with buying any product online or at Walmart, Target, K Mart or any other  big box store is getting service after the purchase.

Procare

Thanks for the reply.  I selected the vacuum after several friends told me that they love theirs and cannot live without them.  I tried it out at the local store and it felt flimsy to me--like it wasn't built to last--but my friends have all had theirs for years.  I'm curious about your comment about carpets not being supported with Dyson.  I could not find much info on the internet.  I think perhaps later today I will swing by a local well respected carpet installer and get their input on a new vacuum.  I'm renting a townhome that has 5 year old builder grade ($1/sq ft) carpet.  Its not in great shape in the high traffic areas and I don't want to make it any worse.    2 years ago, I followed the advice on consumer reports and was excited that the best all around vacuum was a $130 Eureka Boss.  This is one of the worst purchases I've ever made.  The thing is falling apart one piece at a time.  I need a vacuum that will do a decent job, be easy to use and will last a while!
This message was modified Jan 5, 2013 by kristin6
mole

Reply #3   Jan 5, 2013 10:04 am
SANITAIRE sc 785, The best kept secret in the floorcare industry.
kristin6

Reply #4   Jan 6, 2013 10:08 am
mole wrote:
SANITAIRE sc 785, The best kept secret in the floorcare industry.

Thanks Mole.  Isn't this vacuum really designed to work best on indoor/outdoor tiled carpets?  Would this really be a good choice for a residential vacuum?
bsmith

Reply #5   Mar 21, 2013 3:11 am
This all depends on the exact subject at hand of course but for the most part, no there is no difference.

WalMart has such massive purchasing power that they simply can buy things from manufacturers cheaper than anyone else. Who do you thinks going to get a better deal from Dyson, Jims vacuum center that gets maybe 40 a year or Wally world that rips through 20,000? Im sure you picked the correct answer.

In instances where the price is much much cheaper I would be suspect but again, for the most part the cost of re tooling/changing manufacturing processes to accomodate different materials/components just isnt worth it.

A very similar situation arose in the lawn care arena. Some said that Honda mowers that were at Home Depot were built with sub standard components compared to the ones sold at local lawn equipment shops (I wonder who promulgated this one!) because the HD mowers were ~$100 cheaper. Guess what they were exactly the same with exactly the same replacement part #'s. Purchasing power, its why we go to Sam's/Costco!
hooverman

Reply #6   Apr 1, 2013 10:44 pm
U should try out the new TriStar CS; it'll clean circles around a "Diesoon" (Dyson) anyday.  Dysons are pure JUNK & last less than a year; TriStar CS will very likely last forever.  A TriStar CS will pull a whopping 110" water lift (suction power) & a Dyson ("Diesoon") will only pull a 50" water lift.

Dyson loses suction power & airflow after each vacing session

So the TriStar always wins!  Every day, every test.  TRUE NO LOSS OF SUCTION & AIRFLOW WITH A TRISTAR! 

The TriStar uses a bag & made of durable magnesium; & Diesoon is bagless & made of cheap plastic

Even a Kirby Sentria (OLDER Kirbys [pre-G Series like Sanitronic, 516, Classic 1CR, Heritage, etc] are FAR BETTER PERFORMERS than a Sentria) will outclean a Dyson

I wouldn't touch a Dyson at all.

This message was modified Apr 1, 2013 by hooverman
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42