Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Estam

Dyson DC17
Original Message   Dec 11, 2012 2:36 pm
Hi, Looking for some suggestions regarding our DC17 Vacuum Cleaner and have noticed it really hasn't worked well for years. A friend of ours was over and mentioned that the cyclone area where it hold the dirt doesn't rotate like it should. We took it to the work bench and checked the holes that go into the cyclone area and by shining a bright light and probing the access holes into this area can see that the top area is blocked with dirt. Is this area serviceable or do I have to Drill a large hole in the side to clean it. Extreemly poor design but then what do you expect from a brit :) Any suggestions please, is there a work around or does Dyson have a exchange or replacement policy. I will call them eventually but I'm not good at being given the a run around or the gears, tad too old for that. Many thanks for any assistance on what I should do.            ............Dave
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
procare

Re: Dyson DC17
Reply #1   Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm
the area is servicable. Do not drill a large hole in the side. If you tear apart to clean wear a mask as germs are breeding in there. I was down sick a week my first time. I do that with all the bagless vacs. They are the filthiest machines in my opnion. Bagged vacuums are healthier.

Procare

Estam

Reply #2   Dec 12, 2012 11:05 am
Thanks Procare, I removed the cyclone part last night and investigated again and I see a screw through one of the holes that fasten it together but am unable to get a screw driver on it. There must be others but are unable to see them. Can you please direct me to a site that explains how to clean this top part. Many thanks and will definitely wear something to cover my mouth.
Estam

Reply #3   Dec 16, 2012 5:34 pm
Procare seems to have abandoned me so I am wondering if anyone knows how to service the top part of this cyclone assy. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to clean the top part which seems to be clogged with dust and hair. Many thanks for any assistance Dave.
Estam

Reply #4   Dec 19, 2012 6:01 pm
I have a feeling there was no way to get the top part of the cyclone apart, Procare must have been thinking of another model. I have a 1" wood drill bit and will drill a hole through the side of this piece of... see if I can get the dust and hairs out of the top unit. These blocked holes stop the cyclone action and the dirt in the canister just basically sits there with no rotation. It's a weekend job so if anyone has any suggestions please post. Many thanks.
HARDSELL

Reply #5   Dec 20, 2012 7:09 am
I have no experience with your model so this is a stab at resolving your problem.

Use another vacuum to suck the clog back out the inlet where the debris entered the Dyson canister.  Or, open the Dyson as if to dump it and blow back in the canister so that the debris is loosened or pushed back out the inlet on the canister.  Most shop vacs can vacuum or blow by reversing the hose.
procare

Reply #6   Dec 20, 2012 12:40 pm
stam,

I am sorry you thought I deserted you. I have been checking to see if there was anything out on the internet that would help you. Do not drill because it won't help. I punched in-" how do you unclog the cyclones of the DC-17 and came up with a you tube video that shows all your screws and hidden spots to sperate the cyclone body. The site on you tube is                                                                www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqx8CzAxeUA . This is where I would go to check how to get it apart. It takes a torx screwdriver and has  about 12 screws. Good luck. If I had it in front of me I could take care of it.

Procare

Estam

Reply #7   Dec 20, 2012 2:46 pm
Your the Man!! It worked perfectly and your right, pretty dirty in there, cant believe how much stuff was in there. I might need a couple of those gaskets, any idea where they can be purchased? Many thanks for your help Procare .....Dave
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42