Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Dyson Thermal Sensor

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
ArtShapiro

Dyson Thermal Sensor
Original Message   Mar 27, 2012 3:03 pm
Haven't posted here in ages, but enjoy checking out the forum.

I have a Dyson DC07 which gets most of the use in my home, as it's easier to setup and use than my favorite Rainbow. The DC07 has always had the legendary thermal sensor problem when used with the hose and tools - after three or four minutes it shuts off for several minutes until that sensor decides to reset. I've never had the problem using it as a vacuum in my mostly-tiled home, so I haven't worried about the issue.

This weekend, a friend with no vacuum but new carpets borrowed the DC07. I warned her about the problem when using the hose. She rather angrily called me and said it was cutting out every few minutes on her floors. After she calmed down, we decided that perhaps the issue was that it's more of a workload to turn the brush roller on carpeting, causing the overheating issue that I don't see on my own home with only one carpeted room. Is that a valid hypothesis?

I really should deal with the issue, as it's been a bit of an annoyance. So my question: is replacement of the thermal sensor something a reasonably mechanical person can handle, or is it best left to a professional? Can I even get the part in question? I gather from a little bit of web research that there's quite a bit of disassembly involved, but don't have a feel for its difficulty.

Second question: this lady just lost her job, and funds are limited. She'd like to purchase a vacuum, most likely on the used market. Any advice on what she might consider? About the only requirement is that there be a hose and tools so she can vacuum the furniture; guess that cuts out brands like Simplicity. I'm thinking that even Kenmore seems to get reasonably high respect and might be a reasonable choice.

Art
This message was modified Mar 27, 2012 by ArtShapiro
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Thread
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42