Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Vacuumfreeeke

Hoover Z 700
Original Message   Feb 12, 2012 2:07 pm
Hey guys, I remember this vacuum being discussed here before, and I finally got one for myself. I love it for the most part, but it has a problem and I wanted to ask you all about it.... even though it's not technically a "current" vacuum, it is relatively modern. The problem is with the telescopic handle. When I collapse it all the way (make it as small as it will go), and then attempt to use the vacuum, it extends by itself, without me pressing the release button. It will only lock in the highest (tallest) notch.... I tried to figure out how to get into it to see if I could figure out what was going on, but I can't. I have a small place and using a machine this big with the handle fully extended makes it extremely ungainly. I did find a replacement for 32 dollars, but I've never ordered from this place before (there are none on Ebay), and it will likely be out of stock when I go to order it. I only paid 20 bucks for the machine, so I'd hate to spend 32 dollars plus shipping just on the handle, but this really annoys me and this will likely be my daily driver for a while. Here's a link to the part.... http://www.ereplacementparts.com/upper-handlewand-assembly-p-550574.html?osCsid=9c9mm2dte1201et8f0po0r7fl4 Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a common problem with these? I imagine the massive weight of the vacuum over time has worn something out on the inside of the wand that allows it to lock. The vacuum is powerful and all the settings work and it has a great sound and feel, it's just that one issue that is driving me crazy! Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Venson

Re: Hoover Z 700
Reply #1   Feb 12, 2012 5:33 pm
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Hey guys, I remember this vacuum being discussed here before, and I finally got one for myself. I love it for the most part, but it has a problem and I wanted to ask you all about it.... even though it's not technically a "current" vacuum, it is relatively modern. The problem is with the telescopic handle. When I collapse it all the way (make it as small as it will go), and then attempt to use the vacuum, it extends by itself, without me pressing the release button. It will only lock in the highest (tallest) notch.... I tried to figure out how to get into it to see if I could figure out what was going on, but I can't. I have a small place and using a machine this big with the handle fully extended makes it extremely ungainly. I did find a replacement for 32 dollars, but I've never ordered from this place before (there are none on Ebay), and it will likely be out of stock when I go to order it. I only paid 20 bucks for the machine, so I'd hate to spend 32 dollars plus shipping just on the handle, but this really annoys me and this will likely be my daily driver for a while. Here's a link to the part.... http://www.ereplacementparts.com/upper-handlewand-assembly-p-550574.html?osCsid=9c9mm2dte1201et8f0po0r7fl4 Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a common problem with these? I imagine the massive weight of the vacuum over time has worn something out on the inside of the wand that allows it to lock. The vacuum is powerful and all the settings work and it has a great sound and feel, it's just that one issue that is driving me crazy! Thanks!

Hi VF,

I bought one new about four years ago but got rid of it as it wasn't worth the bother.  Home Depot was selling brand new ones for fifty bucks a pop at the time.  The Z is an interesting and original machine as far as design goes but it is not practical.  Like the Royal PowerCast, it's a machine few will be able to deal with.  The dust collection is not cyclonic but  just a pleated filter that is supposedly self-cleaning.   It's your money but, were I you, I'd settle for it as a collection piece.  If you just have to have it -- and use it -- then you should replace the wand for convenience's sake.  Your total investment would only add up to fifty bucks.  Nowadays that's considered no money.  However, get the part direct from Hoover for a couple of dollars less and also review other parts available as I have a feeling one day soon they won't be around.  Somebody please tell us if there's a limited time for supply replacement parts after a vacuum's out of manufacture.  Anyway VF, see the URL below.

http://hoover.com/parts/details/92001187/upper-handle-z-bagless-and-constellation-canisters/

Best,

Venson

This message was modified Feb 12, 2012 by Venson
Vacuumfreeeke

Reply #2   Feb 12, 2012 9:49 pm
Thanks Venson... I think I fixed it. You know that little plastic collar that is between the two parts of the wand. I noticed there was some play in it, but if I pressed down tight on it with my fingers it eliminated the problem. so, I got some REALLY strong super glue (*really strong*) and put a bed around it and pressed it down and let it dry for a few hours.... that has fixed the problem for now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it recurs since the machine is 28 pounds and when you pull back, you're not only fighting the weight of the machine, but also the powerful brushroll and not quite as powerful suction. Oh well, if it happens again, at least I know what the problem is and I've got plenty of super glue! It's a shame that a vacuum that started at 500 dollars has to be held together with super glue, but it's working for now, and that's all I really care about. It really is a fun and unique machine and despite its quirks, I'm enjoying it. I can see why a "normal" person wouldn't though!
Venson

Reply #3   Feb 13, 2012 1:35 am
Vacuumfreeeke wrote:
Thanks Venson... I think I fixed it. You know that little plastic collar that is between the two parts of the wand. I noticed there was some play in it, but if I pressed down tight on it with my fingers it eliminated the problem. so, I got some REALLY strong super glue (*really strong*) and put a bed around it and pressed it down and let it dry for a few hours.... that has fixed the problem for now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it recurs since the machine is 28 pounds and when you pull back, you're not only fighting the weight of the machine, but also the powerful brushroll and not quite as powerful suction. Oh well, if it happens again, at least I know what the problem is and I've got plenty of super glue! It's a shame that a vacuum that started at 500 dollars has to be held together with super glue, but it's working for now, and that's all I really care about. It really is a fun and unique machine and despite its quirks, I'm enjoying it. I can see why a "normal" person wouldn't though!

Hi VF,

Glad to hear you worked it out.

Venson

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42