Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > The Oreck Magnesium LW100 . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

The Oreck Magnesium LW100 . . .
Original Message   Nov 30, 2011 7:03 am
Just as I was getting used to Oreck's Edge upright, here comes the Oreck Magnesium.  It weighs in at 7.7 lb. not counting the cord and is being sold with a seven-year warranty.  MSRP is a hundred bucks below the price suggested for the Edge.  A link to the user guide is below.

Venson

http://www.oreck.com/PUG/83143-01-REV-A-Magnesium-Users-Guide.pdf

This message was modified Nov 30, 2011 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: The Oreck Magnesium LW100 . . .
Reply #1   Dec 1, 2011 7:10 pm
Wow, it looks really amazing - even though it still persists to just be a traditional upright WITHOUT a hose or tools. I see from the manual that this has a brush protected belt/lifetime belt and they've copied SEBO in giving a shorter cut out time back up if anything gets clogged. What a pity then that for that it has a lifetime belt fitted, there's no auto stop function for hard floor cleaning.
Venson

Re: The Oreck Magnesium LW100 . . .
Reply #2   Dec 1, 2011 11:28 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
Wow, it looks really amazing - even though it still persists to just be a traditional upright WITHOUT a hose or tools. I see from the manual that this has a brush protected belt/lifetime belt and they've copied SEBO in giving a shorter cut out time back up if anything gets clogged. What a pity then that for that it has a lifetime belt fitted, there's no auto stop function for hard floor cleaning.

Hi,

Oreck's main claims to fame are light weight, simplicity, good performance and reliability.  Changes beyond a certain point can only lead to gain in weight and girth.  Blessedly the Oreck upright's motor has been re-designed to shut down completely if the brush is jammed.  That makes the "Endurolife" belt a feasible replacement for the standard belt they used (it doesn't stretch).  I guess this new belt was a concession of sorts for the lack of other conveniences.  Considering these machines are simple direct-air vacs, there's probably no practical way to arrange a brush shut-off.  They have a single motor to supply suction and power the belt and most the design of a larger heavier would be called for to fit in a mechanical device.  Riccar and Simplicity's lightweight uprights don't have brushroll shut-offs either but have also gained user raves for carpet and bare floors.

I should mention, very important, the Magnesium has a brushroll design similar to the type used in the Edge model which got great scores for rugs and floors.

I demoed Oreck's Edge, the XL Platinum (swivel-connection) and the lesser priced XL Insight late last year and early this year.  A brushroll shut-off is a moot point.  These uprights have no beater bars and during four hours a day weekends, they never scattered dust or marred any of the hard surfaces I demonstrated them on.  If the issue is wood that's very delicate, this machine as others also can be bundled with a lightweight Oreck portable vac and its attachments. 

This message was modified Dec 1, 2011 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42