Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > FTC Digs Up Dirt Behind Oreck's Alleged Health Benefits . . .

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Venson

FTC Digs Up Dirt Behind Oreck's Alleged Health Benefits . . .
Original Message   Jun 13, 2011 11:11 am
I find this story a little sad as I can't quite comprehend why Oreck didn't let the Halo go down the drain as it was destined to. I thought everybody knew all that shines ain't gold.

Since first word of the machine more than two or three years ago, I couldn't help being skeptical as Halo, this vac's originator, could never be nailed down for specifics. Namely -- how many passes per square foot and at what speed of use kills what percent of germs and creepy crawlies in your rug?

It would appear that the FTC got the upper hand re the question and Oreck has shelled out $750,000 to settle.

There's another saying about beating dead horses however Oreck will continue to attempt to sell the Halo on its cleaning merits the article says. Signs and wonders . . .

http://bronx.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/consumer_watch/140825/ftc-digs-up-dirt-behind-oreck-s-alleged-health-benefits

Venson (Sorry I'm using Chrome today and can't supply a live link -- my html isn't what it used to be.)
This message was modified Jun 13, 2011 by Venson
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
procare

Re: FTC Digs Up Dirt Behind Oreck's Alleged Health Benefits . . .
Reply #1   Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Anyone that wants to see the full details can just google FTC vs Oreck and wil find everything from the court order to the class action suit by owners for $5,000,000.

Procare

Venson

Reply #2   Jun 13, 2011 7:12 pm
Point well taken procare,

A link follows re the "flu fighter" claims.

http://www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/1023033/index.shtm

Venson
mole

Reply #3   Jun 14, 2011 9:43 am
Oh no  not another false claim by a vacuum cleaner company.

Does water filter the air?

It cleans right up to the base board?

It never looses suction EVER

The 25 % angle on our brush roll makes it clean 80% better than previous models.

Our machine uses a lifetime belt.

Its not a vacuum cleaner ,its an air pollution device.

It has a lifetime guarantee.

Any one else who can think of a few more................

regards

MOLE

This message was modified Jun 14, 2011 by mole
vacmanuk

Reply #4   Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm
mole wrote:
Oh no  not another false claim by a vacuum cleaner company.

Does water filter the air?

It cleans right up to the base board?

It never looses suction EVER

The 25 % angle on our brush roll makes it clean 80% better than previous models.

Our machine uses a lifetime belt.

Its not a vacuum cleaner ,its an air pollution device.

It has a lifetime guarantee.

Any one else who can think of a few more................

regards

MOLE

Um let me think from the "British" end.

1. Lightweight and easy to get around corners - yet the model weighs 10kg. (Miele S7)
  2. Precise height adjustment including a hard floor setting - yet the beater bar still rolls and dust bounces off. (Hoover Purepower)
  3. Stair cleaning hose reaches up to 13 steps - but what if you have more???
  4. Extended warranty with parts and wear - yet you have to pay for something like a wheel when it comes off (Hoover.)
  5. Lifetime filters - so why are they available to buy?
  6. HEPA filtration on bagless vacuums to help allergies - so what happens when you empty the bin and dust flies up?
Severus

If my vacuum can remove even one spec of dirt that yours misses, then mine is better than yours - even if there's no proof that mine would have picked up as much dirt as yours...

Reply #5   Jul 6, 2011 2:02 pm
Nice list.  I think it's Hyla that claims its not just a vacuum, it's an air purification system.  Rainbow pretty much makes the same claim. 

One thing that I especially despise about Rainbow is the push for referrals.  After they lie and say that the demo takes 45 minutes but stay for 3 hours, I'm sure motivated to give up names of people I like - NOT. 

The smart tyrant writes his own story to ensure that it is favorable.  The lazy will repeat lines from the book without fact checking. 
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42