Abby's Guide to Vacuum Cleaners
Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > What happened to the Dyson dc22?

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Mister_Bojack

What happened to the Dyson dc22?
Original Message   Jun 7, 2011 6:56 pm
I'm trying to determine why this model is no longer listed on the American Dyson website. I get the impression it's no longer a current model. Were there problems with this model? I'm referring to the dc22, not the dc23, nor the dc26 City. I had high hopes for getting my hand on a machine with the digital motor, but this isn't offered on the dc23 or dc26 City. If someone could set me straight on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
vacmanuk

Re: What happened to the Dyson dc22?
Reply #1   Jun 8, 2011 11:56 am
Mister_Bojack wrote:
I'm trying to determine why this model is no longer listed on the American Dyson website. I get the impression it's no longer a current model. Were there problems with this model? I'm referring to the dc22, not the dc23, nor the dc26 City. I had high hopes for getting my hand on a machine with the digital motor, but this isn't offered on the dc23 or dc26 City. If someone could set me straight on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.    Thanks!

If the DC22 isn't being listed then it could be out of production - even though you are in the U.S, for the moment it looks like the DC23 is taking over. In Japan I think several Dyson models have the DDM motor fitted - even UK models don't with the only exception being the hand held vacuums and the fans.

Having just spoken to DYSON UK to confirm this, it seems to me that they are no intentionally not fitting the smaller motor because I think they know buyers would be taking the sales of those models whilst others are losing out. All to do with marketing rather than faults I think!
DC18

Dyson, Sebo and Bissell user

Reply #2   Jun 8, 2011 2:54 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
If the DC22 isn't being listed then it could be out of production - even though you are in the U.S, for the moment it looks like the DC23 is taking over. In Japan I think several Dyson models have the DDM motor fitted - even UK models don't with the only exception being the hand held vacuums and the fans.

Having just spoken to DYSON UK to confirm this, it seems to me that they are no intentionally not fitting the smaller motor because I think they know buyers would be taking the sales of those models whilst others are losing out. All to do with marketing rather than faults I think!

Thats interesting to know the DDM is in the Fans as on the Dyson Website (UK) under the Fan section it doesn't mention DDM just a brushless motor, when I queried it a while ago with the Dyson Helpline (UK) they said the Fans don't contain the DDM! DC18
vacmanuk

Reply #3   Jun 8, 2011 9:08 pm
DC18 wrote:
Thats interesting to know the DDM is in the Fans as on the Dyson Website (UK) under the Fan section it doesn't mention DDM just a brushless motor, when I queried it a while ago with the Dyson Helpline (UK) they said the Fans don't contain the DDM! DC18

TBH I dont think Dyson UK have a very effective call centre. When I first called them today to query the DDM issue, the first controller didn't have a clue and went on the website. She put me on hold when she couldn't find the info and then cut me off. The second rep was a bit more helpful but he had to put me on hold, couldn't tell me anything I didn't know from the Dyson U.S site and then went onto explain how stupid he was for not knowing the answer. I'm pretty sure its all down to marketing though - Dyson did this with their pet groom tool, launching it first in Japan firstly and then everywhere else.
Mister_Bojack

Reply #4   Jun 9, 2011 12:42 pm
vacmanuk wrote:

Vacmanuk, that's an interesting perspective you have. Yes, and I agree with you that the other models would definitely lose out.

So did anyone at Dyson indicate if this model would ever be marketed in North America again? I'm not interested in any other model.  I've viewed the dc23 and I wasn't impressed with the noise level or the suction. My dc07 seemed stronger. I suppose I'll just need to go on eBay and pay too much if I've absolutely got to have a dc22. At first I didn't think I wanted one. Some of the videos on Youtube made the machine appear to be rather loud. I didn't actually change my mind until I got my hand on the dc35. That was an impressive handheld and there was something so different about the motor.

vacmanuk

Reply #5   Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am
Mister_Bojack wrote:
Vacmanuk, that's an interesting perspective you have. Yes, and I agree with you that the other models would definitely lose out.

So did anyone at Dyson indicate if this model would ever be marketed in North America again? I'm not interested in any other model.  I've viewed the dc23 and I wasn't impressed with the noise level or the suction. My dc07 seemed stronger. I suppose I'll just need to go on eBay and pay too much if I've absolutely got to have a dc22. At first I didn't think I wanted one. Some of the videos on Youtube made the machine appear to be rather loud. I didn't actually change my mind until I got my hand on the dc35. That was an impressive handheld and there was something so different about the motor.

No. Dyson UK were unclear. They don't know anything about the operations in the U.S - which is SHOCKING! Is there no store in the U.S where you can actually try out the model on the shop floor? That way you can then judge the noise before you buy!
bucks03

Reply #6   Jun 10, 2011 8:18 am
vacmanuk wrote:
No. Dyson UK were unclear. They don't know anything about the operations in the U.S - which is SHOCKING! Is there no store in the U.S where you can actually try out the model on the shop floor? That way you can then judge the noise before you buy!

Vacmanuk, Thats not surprising at all. Sebo UK operations are completely seperate from Sebo Germany.  With regards to Dyson I would have thought may have been slightly different but perhaps not so.
vacmanuk

Reply #7   Jun 10, 2011 8:40 am
bucks03 wrote:
Vacmanuk, Thats not surprising at all. Sebo UK operations are completely seperate from Sebo Germany.  With regards to Dyson I would have thought may have been slightly different but perhaps not so.

That may well be bucks, but at least SEBO UK can obtain information from their German company and are usually happy to illicit info - Dyson UK admitted to me they were getting the info straight off the U.S site when I was on the phone to them. One would think for a "home UK company," that the cust services and middle management would be better clued up. Evidently not.
Mister_Bojack

Reply #8   Jun 10, 2011 11:35 am
vacmanuk wrote:

Vacmanuk:

What is your impression of this machine? Have you seen one up close & personal? I had an encounter yesterday with the Air Blade and I certainly hope the dc22 isn't as loud!

bucks03

Reply #9   Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm
vacmanuk wrote:
That may well be bucks, but at least SEBO UK can obtain information from their German company and are usually happy to illicit info - Dyson UK admitted to me they were getting the info straight off the U.S site when I was on the phone to them. One would think for a "home UK company," that the cust services and middle management would be better clued up. Evidently not.

You would be amazed at how little info customer services staff are given.  They don't really need to know about markets abroad as the customers are in the UK enquiring about products in the UK.  A friend of mine works for a domestic appliance manufacturer and its the same in her company, if there is any enquiry about something abroad, they are not told. They have to search online.

I am suprised that Dyson actually admitted to having a look on the US website. They should have been more discreet about it.  

Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42