Username Password
Home Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Vacuum Cleaners > Discussions > Central Vacuum Systems

Vacuum Cleaners Discussions

Search For:
Trebor

Central Vacuum Systems
Original Message   Nov 13, 2009 4:58 pm
What is the best filtration, in your estimation?  True Cyclonic/ Vacu Flo says there 'no loading' fans will hold up over the long haul, competitors disagree

MD produces only 'bag on top' designs, with disposable liners

Others have filtered cyclonics some, like Zenex, claim there is no need to touch or replace their filter-ever

Central Vac (brand) has exterior mounted motors with disposable bags

Any thoughts on Aqua-Air and/or Drain Vac systems?

Husky (presumably derived from Husqvarna) and Nilfisk offer central systems, too

Some dealers say the square footage to be cleaned should be doubled to insure adequate suction/airflow as the system ages, some say there's no such thing as too much power.

What about tubing? All the OEM mfg are against using sched 40 PVC and insist of CVS pipe.  The FlowMax Gold with the bell ends looks like a great way to go.

The hose and storing it?  Hide-A -Hose? The in wall cavity hose reel? MD's segmented concept? Beam's new telescopic hose? Maybe the easiest solution is to install a few more inlets and just use a 25ft hose?

Finally, what about the Turbo Cat? There strong opinions on both sides as to whether it really will function as well as an electric power brush.

So, how would you help someone navigate all the choices to select a system for their needs?
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
mole

Re: Central Vacuum Systems
Reply #1   Nov 16, 2009 7:26 pm
Trebor wrote:
What is the best filtration, in your estimation?  True Cyclonic/ Vacu Flo says there 'no loading' fans will hold up over the long haul, competitors disagree

MD produces only 'bag on top' designs, with disposable liners

Others have filtered cyclonics some, like Zenex, claim there is no need to touch or replace their filter-ever

Central Vac (brand) has exterior mounted motors with disposable bags

Any thoughts on Aqua-Air and/or Drain Vac systems?

Husky (presumably derived from Husqvarna) and Nilfisk offer central systems, too

Some dealers say the square footage to be cleaned should be doubled to insure adequate suction/airflow as the system ages, some say there's no such thing as too much power.

What about tubing? All the OEM mfg are against using sched 40 PVC and insist of CVS pipe.  The FlowMax Gold with the bell ends looks like a great way to go.

The hose and storing it?  Hide-A -Hose? The in wall cavity hose reel? MD's segmented concept? Beam's new telescopic hose? Maybe the easiest solution is to install a few more inlets and just use a 25ft hose?

Finally, what about the Turbo Cat? There strong opinions on both sides as to whether it really will function as well as an electric power brush.

So, how would you help someone navigate all the choices to select a system for their needs?

Hi Trebor,

I see things this way, The customer is coming into your place of business looking for your reccomendations. No need to complicate things, Ask a few key questions ,new or existing construction, how many levels in the home, have good carpeting[how many people will admit they have cheap carpets???. What is the square footage  Do you want a set up that really cleans or do you just want it to make noise, The responses are very funny sometimes.A  lot of sales are made when people see a lot of action going on in your store, Its all psycological, who wants to buy from  someone that looks like their going under or  are more interested in eating lunch than waiting on the customers.Just give them their moneys worth and back it up with oustanding service..

MOLE
Scott3085

Reply #2   Nov 21, 2009 10:41 am
I grew up with a central vac system and now that I'm in my own house I actually miss it a lot!   I think you either love or hate a CVS.   My parents have a MD Silentmaster at their house and it is a dream to use.  It is very quiet and very powerful!   It certainly made cleaning the stairs a lot easier.   My mom thinks it is priceless however my dad hates the hose which he thinks is a pain to work around.   They own a German Shepard and with that kind of hair, the HAH with Turbocat option just wouldn't work well.  They have two sets of hoses and powernozzles with an additional garage cleaning kit.   One is a Centec powernozzle similar to those found on the current Kenmore Progressive canisters.   The other one uses an old Hoover Quadraflex Powermatic that came off my mom's old Dimension canister.  With my latest Dyson purchase, I'm seriously considering going the central vac route in my townhouse.  Unfortunately, I live in a stacked townhouse arrangement so there is no basement or attic access.  Not sure how retrofitting would go for me.  In my area (Metro DC), most of my friends growing up had CVS in their homes but their parents also had a traditional upright to use for quick clean ups. 
Venson

Reply #3   Nov 21, 2009 11:49 am
Scott3085 wrote:
I grew up with a central vac system and now that I'm in my own house I actually miss it a lot!   I think you either love or hate a CVS.   My parents have a MD Silentmaster at their house and it is a dream to use.  It is very quiet and very powerful!   It certainly made cleaning the stairs a lot easier.   My mom thinks it is priceless however my dad hates the hose which he thinks is a pain to work around.   They own a German Shepard and with that kind of hair, the HAH with Turbocat option just wouldn't work well.  They have two sets of hoses and powernozzles with an additional garage cleaning kit.   One is a Centec powernozzle similar to those found on the current Kenmore Progressive canisters.   The other one uses an old Hoover Quadraflex Powermatic that came off my mom's old Dimension canister.  With my latest Dyson purchase, I'm seriously considering going the central vac route in my townhouse.  Unfortunately, I live in a stacked townhouse arrangement so there is no basement or attic access.  Not sure how retrofitting would go for me.  In my area (Metro DC), most of my friends growing up had CVS in their homes but their parents also had a traditional upright to use for quick clean ups. 

Hi Scott3085, Lots of newer central vac models offer disposable bags and mufflers, if not already designed for quiet, to allow convenient use and installation in co-ops and condos these days. The advantage I'd think -- good model in mind -- would be high suction and less frequent emptying. As you have already noted central vacs usually allow their owners to fine tune the system by way of attachment choices and, bottom line, that's what it's all about -- well-designed tools that make best use of the airflow provided. If your townhouse is of ample size and you have high traffic by way of lots of friends, kids and pets a CVS might be a boon. I would note that I was informed a good while back that a CVS may not have much influence on the resale value of your home. Best, Venson
Trebor

Reply #4   Nov 21, 2009 4:54 pm
Scott,

Check out the hose retractor for electric CV hoses, the MD sectional hose, 20 foot length with and easily clicked in 10 or 15 ft extension. Also check out the Vroom, way better than a sweep inlet, IMHO
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Vacuum Cleaners Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42